• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Has the 2nd gear grind happened to your FL5 yet?

madbikes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
I heard about the famous 1-2 shift grind in the FK8. Before FL5 is even officially announced, someone here asked if Honda may have ironed it out.

Well, it happened today. I was almost done with a short cruise after a snack. Tried to pull away from finish yielding for the last car coming so I can merge into the street, clutch-in down to the floor, shift to 2nd, then "zoooooop".

Looks like I need to take it easy or try a Clutch Delay Valve bypass later, but I was not shifting as lightning fast as some people I have seen, which they don't seem to have issues.
Sponsored

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
Was the transmission fully warmed up? I'm still in the break in period so haven't pushed the car yet.

jayson415PR

First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Supra 2023 type R 2022 genesis GV80
1,500 miles on mine and after the break-in (600 miles) it gets beaten a lot and no 1-2 shift gear grind yet.

On the other hand I did get as others have mention a couple of squeaks and rattles. 🤷🏻‍♂️

OP
OP

madbikes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
Was the transmission fully warmed up? I'm still in the break in period so haven't pushed the car yet.
The car was driven for some time when that happened. I did not break 100 miles yet.

yeaitsahonda

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Boost Blue Type R
Hasn't happened to me yet. I usually shift pretty soft though. Do these cars have clutch delay valves?

OP
OP

madbikes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
If the FL5 and FK8 Clutch Slave Cylinder has the same part number, then it does and the way to remove it should be identical. I'll consider that if the same thing occur again.

Drew30101

First Name
Cordell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 civic si
3,700 on the Odometer and nothing yet. I will admit I'm usually just cruising around in it as my daily and enjoying the twists and curves.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Not sure what the problem is exactly (guess I should read about the problem in the FK8), but in my 09 Si when I switched from Honda MTF to AMSoil MTF, shifts were always MUCH smoother. After that, if I grinded gears, it was my fault for lazy shifting. Every now and then it might feel slightly notchy when cold, but even that was a rare occurrence.

AspecR

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
If the FL5 and FK8 Clutch Slave Cylinder has the same part number, then it does and the way to remove it should be identical. I'll consider that if the same thing occur again.
I thought that is for the Clutch Master Cylinder Damper?

It is but that helps with reducing the chance for a grinded gear when shifting

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Speaking of grinds, does anyone know the part number to the FL5 clutch

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Clutch delay valve will slow down the clutch engaging again - not the release. It's not causing the grind
Sponsored