• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Has the 2nd gear grind happened to your FL5 yet?

First Name
Hong
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
I have an FK8, still no 2nd gear grind. My 18-year old RSX Type S, which I have since day one and has over 200K miles now (still on stock clutch), still no 2nd gear grind, ever! (just Google RSX gear grind)

Here is the thing, you cannot and should not shift like a mad man, I am not saying to baby it nor I am saying you are doing something wrong. Make sure you are shifting correctly and naturally.

At the end of the day, it is NOT a race car.
Sponsored

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
At the end of the day, it is NOT a race car.
Well…actually, Type “R” literally stands for Racing, but I totally get what you’re saying. The moniker doesn’t literally mean the car is a RACE car. It is still a road car first and foremost. So unless one has a pit crew, drive it as intended. Have fun but be mindful.:thumbsup:

crash___

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ISF, CW FL5
at 5k, no grinds. i am tired of the crunchy feel of 2nd gear at times, so i might switch to amsoil or any alternatives soon

Starchland

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda s2000
#2 synchro will work the hardest.
Cdv should be removable like other Honda’s. I would also verify clutch free play

CaryH

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 touring 2.0T, 2005 Toyota 4runner SR5, 2012 c
I heard about the famous 1-2 shift grind in the FK8. Before FL5 is even officially announced, someone here asked if Honda may have ironed it out.

Well, it happened today. I was almost done with a short cruise after a snack. Tried to pull away from finish yielding for the last car coming so I can merge into the street, clutch-in down to the floor, shift to 2nd, then "zoooooop".

Looks like I need to take it easy or try a Clutch Delay Valve bypass later, but I was not shifting as lightning fast as some people I have seen, which they don't seem to have issues.
My friend were you were rolling?did you never come to a complete stop ? and then u pushed the clutch to the floor and shifted into second? Is that what happened?

OP
OP

madbikes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
I accelerated out into a different street in 1st from yielding, clutch to the floor, tried to go into 2nd and get a grind.

I'm still on the same tank of gas since I took delivery. As soon as PPF is done over the weekend, then I can work on getting past the initial break-in miles. Hopefully it's just driver error on my part and the gears will break-in and become smoother.

ElDuder

First Name
El
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
I heard about the famous 1-2 shift grind in the FK8. Before FL5 is even officially announced, someone here asked if Honda may have ironed it out.

Well, it happened today. I was almost done with a short cruise after a snack. Tried to pull away from finish yielding for the last car coming so I can merge into the street, clutch-in down to the floor, shift to 2nd, then "zoooooop".

Looks like I need to take it easy or try a Clutch Delay Valve bypass later, but I was not shifting as lightning fast as some people I have seen, which they don't seem to have issues.
The grinds are because of poor drivers with poor driving technique, end of story.

TDC50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Type R, C7 Corvette Grand Sport, Alfa Gulia
Try ensuring you have a light side load on the gear lever (left, toward driver legs) as you shift 1st to 2nd. Light is the key phrase, don’t force it. I do this with all my manuals. I understand you maybe an experienced driver but just making a suggestion to try and help.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Yeah…you need more time with the car and the car probably needs more break-in time. I think some notchiness is to be expected in a brand new manual trans. If it’s grinding regularly (like a couple of times a week or more) by the time you have your first oil change I’d have the shop look into it. Otherwise, just pay attention to your shifts. If you can replicate the problem without doing anything apparently wrong, then definitely a shop would be able to replicate it too and fix it. With such low miles and seat time I wouldn’t worry about it a whole lot (yet).

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
at 5k, no grinds. i am tired of the crunchy feel of 2nd gear at times, so i might switch to amsoil or any alternatives soon
Yeah something about going into 2nd gear is weird. Can't say exactly what it is but it feels different than any of the going into any if the gears

OP
OP

madbikes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
I just experienced another 2nd gear grind moments ago. This time I did not try accelerate fast. I already made an appointment with the service department of where I got mine for this Saturday. Will update my findings.

rob495

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2012 Ariel Atom
Madbikes, do you remember if you were coming out of a turn? Most of my grinds/lockouts occurred shifting 1-2, accelerating midway through a right hand turn from a red light in my previous FK8.

OP
OP

madbikes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
Madbikes, do you remember if you were coming out of a turn? Most of my grinds/lockouts occurred shifting 1-2, accelerating midway through a right hand turn from a red light in my previous FK8.
I was in a straight line both of those occasions.

OP
OP

madbikes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
I went for a drive prior to the dealer visit. Got 1-2 shift grind for the 3rd time within 500 miles.

After a morning spent at the dealer, the tech find transmission fluid level appeared to be normal. I asked the tech who worked on the car to go for a ride to demonstrate how I have issues. And I did tell him there are plenty of people out there shifting much faster than I can without issues.

He find my shifts are too fast for the synchronizer to keep up, which is hard to believe. His recommendation for me is to granny shift since the transmission is still rather new.

I guess I'll have to drive some more and see how this develops.