• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Honda Alcantara Suede Steering wheel and Red shifter worth it?

TypeRGirl

First Name
Leslie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5, na 88 RX7
I use driving gloves lol, keeps the inside looking clean šŸ¤“ Nothing fancy just some cloth ones off Amazon. Be sure to get ones that are touchscreen compatible.
Sponsored

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
I'm likely going to go with he Alcantara steering wheel.. I like the feel of it on other cars I have driven. If it ends up looking bad I'll replace it or out back on the leather wheel. It just feels premium, or I hope.

jchall30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I'm likely going to go with he Alcantara steering wheel.. I like the feel of it on other cars I have driven. If it ends up looking bad I'll replace it or out back on the leather wheel. It just feels premium, or I hope.
Thatā€™s what I did. Kept the leather wheel and when/if the alcantara wheel gets bad Iā€™ll just swap back out. Really if I like the alcantara wheel enough I can always buy another one down the road since they really arenā€™t that expensive.

Yayo

First Name
Hermann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 MY23
Uno mƔs aquƭ con pomo de cambio OEM negro y rojo...
11th Gen Honda Civic Honda Alcantara Suede Steering wheel and Red shifter worth it? IMG_20230706_135345

11th Gen Honda Civic Honda Alcantara Suede Steering wheel and Red shifter worth it? IMG_20230706_135320

11th Gen Honda Civic Honda Alcantara Suede Steering wheel and Red shifter worth it? IMG_20230706_135310

11th Gen Honda Civic Honda Alcantara Suede Steering wheel and Red shifter worth it? IMG_20230706_135251

Tenga cuidado con la perilla de cambio china de plƔstico que no sea OEM

11th Gen Honda Civic Honda Alcantara Suede Steering wheel and Red shifter worth it? IMG_20230627_161345

11th Gen Honda Civic Honda Alcantara Suede Steering wheel and Red shifter worth it? post-2910-0-39241600-1687891060

Pista extra:

11th Gen Honda Civic Honda Alcantara Suede Steering wheel and Red shifter worth it? IMG_20230712_221247

Last edited:

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack
If BMW alcantara steering wheels are anything to go by, then itā€™s a hard pass for me. Been there, done that, never again. While everyone raves about the improved grip, I found it gripped less than a leather wheel with bare skin. Alcantara is all about that racing glove love.

And let's talk about its durability... or lack thereof. It wears horribly. A leather counterpart lasts at least 3 times longer, and a little shine is easier to fix than worn alcantara.

Sure, you can clean your hands and wipe it down daily, but it'll still wear like shit. If you're a rare driver who loves the alcantara look, then go for it, I guess. But me? Leather all the way!

Alcantara is one of the worst "because racecar" trends out there, right up there with carbon fiber.

And hey, I'm so glad the US gets the "poor man's" non-alcantara material, no parking sensors, etc. Let the rest of the world deal with these so-called ā€œupgradesā€.

AlpineBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
If BMW alcantara steering wheels are anything to go by, then itā€™s a hard pass for me. Been there, done that, never again. While everyone raves about the improved grip, I found it gripped less than a leather wheel with bare skin. Alcantara is all about that racing glove love.

And let's talk about its durability... or lack thereof. It wears horribly. A leather counterpart lasts at least 3 times longer, and a little shine is easier to fix than worn alcantara.

Sure, you can clean your hands and wipe it down daily, but it'll still wear like shit. If you're a rare driver who loves the alcantara look, then go for it, I guess. But me? Leather all the way!

Alcantara is one of the worst "because racecar" trends out there, right up there with carbon fiber.

And hey, I'm so glad the US gets the "poor man's" non-alcantara material, no parking sensors, etc. Let the rest of the world deal with these so-called ā€œupgradesā€.
BMW alcantara didn't hold up for me either. It just didn't look good after a couple years and I keep my hands clean, don't eat in my car, etc. Ended up with a genuine perforated leather M Sport wheel and never looked back.

TO_FL5_CW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 FL5
Hey guys,

Before I start the install, any tips or tricks you can share? A bit nervous doing it myself lol

11th Gen Honda Civic Honda Alcantara Suede Steering wheel and Red shifter worth it? IMG_7859

ThanksGTA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I love the alcantara wheel, it's a nice upgrade from the stock one. Install is pretty easy, the hardest part for me was breaking loose the bolt holding it in (it's covered in thread locker). A large pry bar or torque wrench should help though.

GIChoe

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Civic Si
I love the shifter because, in the summer with the metal I could read the shift pattern on my palm. I currently have the Alcantra steering wheel on the car, it is brushed leather and feels good. But will have to cover it if I keep it on. Between fishing and working on cars it won't be good. The orginal is smooth leather.
How thick is the red leather shifter compared to the stock aluminum one? I like the look of the leather one but I'm worried it might be too big for my hand.

darinja

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R SGP, 2023 Honda Pilot Trailsport
Is the alcantara wheel any thicker by chance than the leather one? I really miss my steering wheel from my FK8 and feel like the FL5 one is a bit too thin and doesn't have the same "feel" when doing spirited driving and I imagine track days I'd want something different too.

Nothing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CW FL5 #5044
If you dont mind extra cleaning, it might be worth it. It feels nice when it's clean. The grip really is probably marginal if not clean and without gloves. Leather is much easier to clean.

For me it was a dealer profit item. Would I buy it retail and install myself knowing now? Probably not. Would I buy another wheel or reinstall the leather one? Probably not at least for a few years, maybe I'll get tired of cleaning every few months.

csboi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW M3 CS
After owning an Alcantara steering wheel in my M3 CS, I can confidently say I will have an Alcantara wheel in every car I own for the rest of my life. I'm negotiating a Honda Alcantara wheel into the purchase of my Type R.

I can tell you that after owning one over the last 45k miles, they really aren't that difficult to keep clean. I mean, unless you eat french fries while driving for a living. About 3/4 times per year I'll take an hour max with SONAX Alcantara cleaner, a microfiber cloth, and a bucket of warm water.. soak and scrub, blot dry, repeat as needed. Hit the wheel with a horsehair brush to raise the fibers and let dry over night. Brush again in the morning.

It's actually quite satisfying to me to restore an Alcantara wheel back to brand new, and then hit the twisties with it. I would highly recommend.

11th Gen Honda Civic Honda Alcantara Suede Steering wheel and Red shifter worth it? Resized_20230102_145636

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
After owning an Alcantara steering wheel in my M3 CS, I can confidently say I will have an Alcantara wheel in every car I own for the rest of my life. I'm negotiating a Honda Alcantara wheel into the purchase of my Type R.

I can tell you that after owning one over the last 45k miles, they really aren't that difficult to keep clean. I mean, unless you eat french fries while driving for a living. About 3/4 times per year I'll take an hour max with SONAX Alcantara cleaner, a microfiber cloth, and a bucket of warm water.. soak and scrub, blot dry, repeat as needed. Hit the wheel with a horsehair brush to raise the fibers and let dry over night. Brush again in the morning.

It's actually quite satisfying to me to restore an Alcantara wheel back to brand new, and then hit the twisties with it. I would highly recommend.

Resized_20230102_145636.jpeg
I agree. Unless you're reckless, keeping the Alcantara decent looking isn't impossible despite what you read on the Interweb.

Loved the CS btw! What a great car. Looks like you got Lime Rock Grey? I really wanted that color, but was only able to locate San Marino Blue Metallic.

csboi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW M3 CS
I agree. Unless you're reckless..

Loved the CS btw! What a great car. Looks like you got Lime Rock Grey?
For anyone wanting to clean their Alcantara, here's what I use. It's really not that hard and honestly, Alcantara is not as delicate as it's been made out to be by many. It can take a good scrubbing - my steering wheel once looked shiny (soaked with grease) if you can believe it. After one cleaning with SONAX, the wheel looked near new. A few months later when I cleaned again, it looked even better. All of the Alcantara in the interior looks pristine even after 5 years. Zero wear.

https://www.sonaxusa.com/upholstery-alcantara-cleaner.html

Re: CS - yes Lime Rock Grey, 1/78 in America. It gets a lot of attention when out and about, many people don't even know what it is. šŸ˜Ž

Six-n-twins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 CTR, 2022 M3 X, 2021 TRX
Alcantara doesn't wear out. It gets dirty and matted. And in some cases gets shiny and actually looks like leather. All it takes is a little water, microfiber towel and an alcantara brush. Sonax cleaner if you like. In 5 minutes it looks like brand new. I have been doing this for years. All of my cars have alcantara wheels and shifters. I've seen people sell "worn out" alcantara, when all it needs is a quick cleaning
Sponsored