• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

How would you fix the 2022 Civic Si?

Spike Spiegel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic Si coupe, 2008 Tundra Limited, 2011 Mazdaspeed 3 (Dead engine), Horse Trailer, Quarter Horse (Dyno=1 HP)
Make the engine break the 197-205 rated horsepower threshold Hondas been stuck in since gen 8 for a decade and a half and make the car make more power.
Honda must be taking notes from Subaru. How long has the WRX had ~263 HP and the STI had right around 300HP?

Spike Spiegel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic Si coupe, 2008 Tundra Limited, 2011 Mazdaspeed 3 (Dead engine), Horse Trailer, Quarter Horse (Dyno=1 HP)
  • Heated seats
  • Heated seats
This omission is a real head scratcher. Seat heaters do not add much cost nor weight to a car, and the prior generation had them. Not only that, the seats appear to be identical to the last Si seats. No R&D needed ... just put the old seats in the new car!

The Si seats are absolutely phenomenal and they are one of my favorite aspects of the car. Even in the middle of the country there are probably 5 cold months where warm seats are highly welcomed. And that's saying nothing about the northern regions.

I really don't get the thinking here.

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Honda must be taking notes from Subaru. How long has the WRX had ~263 HP and the STI had right around 300HP?
Thats how Japanese cars have ALWAYS been.
Look how long the GT-R was 276HP-300HP, 13yrs.
The B16 was 10yrs old before it even CAME to the US.

Due to the Gentlemens agreement most JDM makers started to only do small refinements to an engine for YEARS, but instead focus on things like handling, MPG, reliability, and build quality. Many never really got out of that mentality.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey EX-L '18 Civic SI Sedan '94 300zx twin turbo 2001 Ford F-150 Sport
There was a bump in there somewhere. I remember driving an ā€˜02 with 227 I ended up passing on and eventually getting the first RSX. Years later my friend took for for a ride in his (then new) ā€˜14 or ā€˜15ā€¦ maaaybe ā€˜16 that was 260-something. 268 sounds right. My wife has test drove a newer WRX. I never have. I do remember driving a (then new) STI before any of themā€¦ an ā€˜04. Fun, peaky cars. A pile of money and took more work to drive daily than a WRX, I thought. Iā€™m sort go of shocked Iā€™ve never had a WRX. Theyā€™ve been on my short list time after time and keep getting beat out.

I am just blown away that they had a rated number go down. Weā€™ve been at 160 to 197 gen 7 to gen 8ā€¦ and that gen 7 had essentially an earlier version of the same base K20C2 that soldiered on in the gen X. 205 in a more boring bit torquy K24Z7. I kind of hated that motor. Great around the town for the extra torque but boring when pushed. 205 but closer to a real world 205 in the L15ā€¦ as the K24s dynoed more in the 165-ish realm. I justā€¦ manā€¦ numbers do help sell cars. Iā€™m shocked Honda let a HP number slip. I donā€™t care if it makes torque sooner and holds power a little longerā€¦ for a consumer standpoint, itā€™s a loss.

Nissan couldnā€™t call the ā€œNissan Zā€ a 300z, because theyā€™d be backtracking a number 20+ yearsā€¦ 25+ years stateside, even if power has gone up compared to a 370. At least they didnā€™t do that stupid 400z idea folks were floating around for months.

Last edited:

Jimi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2019
There was a bump in there somewhere. I remember driving an ā€˜02 with 227 I ended up passing on and eventually getting the first RSX. Years later my friend took for for a ride in his (then new) ā€˜14 or ā€˜15ā€¦ maaaybe ā€˜16 that was 260-something. 268 sounds right. My wife has test drove a newer WRX. I never have. I do remember driving a (then new) STI before any of themā€¦ an ā€˜04. Fun, peaky cars. A pile of money and took more work to drive daily than a WRX, I thought. Iā€™m sort go of shocked Iā€™ve never had a WRX. Theyā€™ve been on my short list time after time and keep getting beat out.

I am just blown away that they had a rated number go down. Weā€™ve been at 160 to 197 gen 7 to gen 8ā€¦ and that gen 7 had essentially an earlier version of the same base K20C2 that soldiered on in the gen X. 205 in a more boring bit torquy K24Z7. I kind of hated that motor. Great around the town for the extra torque but boring when pushed. 205 but closer to a real world 205 in the L15ā€¦ as the K24s dynoed more in the 165-ish realm. I justā€¦ manā€¦ numbers do help sell cars. Iā€™m shocked Honda let a HP number slip. I donā€™t care if it makes torque sooner and holds power a little longerā€¦ for a consumer standpoint, itā€™s a loss.

Nissan couldnā€™t call the ā€œNissan Zā€ a 300z, because theyā€™d be backtracking a number 20+ yearsā€¦ 25+ years stateside, even if power has gone up compared to a 370. At least they didnā€™t do that stupid 400z idea folks were floating around for months.
I do agree with you man.
I am sure the new Si is better then the old one but Honda knows marketing and sales.
For them to not bump the power is surely going to be the one topic everyone on earth is going to talk about in a negative way. Itā€™s just how people areā€¦.
All they had to do was give it 10hp extra and it wouldnā€™t even be a ā€œthingā€ and people would all say ā€œawesome!ā€
Performance cars should never drop HPā€¦ it is extremely damaging in the eyes of marketing and sales.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Performance cars should never drop HPā€¦ it is extremely damaging in the eyes of marketing and sales.
This is where I think things get muddled. Sure the Si is the slightly quicker, better handling version of the 1.5T Civic sedan. But is it a real performance car? I guess that's subjective and while the handling is terrific, the power levels are just too low to consider it a real performance car. It's a "sport injected" Civic.

OP
OP
jd2157

jd2157

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan MSM
This is where I think things get muddled. Sure the Si is the slightly quicker, better handling version of the 1.5T Civic sedan. But is it a real performance car? I guess that's subjective and while the handling is terrific, the power levels are just too low to consider it a real performance car. It's a "sport injected" Civic.
Seems Honda has been clear and the consumers are the ones getting things muddled. The Type R is the performance Civic. The Si is the Civic with some sportiness ā€œinjectedā€ to take a very practical daily driver and make it fun for a few extra dollarsā€¦. no one at Honda is going to call it a real performance car.

bobindy

Bobindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Civic Si 4 door
The 11th gen is the best looking SI yet IMHO. I wouldn't change a thing from that perspective. Add about 20 more hp and get rid of the luxury features, don't add any. Heated seats? really? why in the world do you need heated seats in a Civic SI? Maybe a Toyota Avalon is more your speed? More colors to choose from, I detest gray cars. Make it lighter. Omit the AC, sound insulation, the radio, and the driving nannies.

20ABM06MT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
+ Heated seats (this is a big one for me)
+ Lumbar
- Pronounced red design in the seats... I don't mind the 10th gen seat trim in red check.... but really don't like the flashier seats :)

I'm guessing that the overall feel is not impacted by -5hp... and the wider power band is appreciated... The marketing hit is pretty obvious though... would have been interesting to be in the room when they made the decision / see the trade offs they considered.

I like the overall look and the addition of hopefully improved audio (have not had a chance to sample the new system yet) as well as improvements to the shifter / rev matching. The 10th gen is the most fun/ dollar out there (imo) and the 11th gen Si looks to carry that on.

Hoping the Integra A Spec gets a power boost to make up for any increased weight + lumbar, heated seats, leather, ELS Surround, same transmission w rev match...

20ABM06MT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
The 11th gen is the best looking SI yet IMHO. I wouldn't change a thing from that perspective. Add about 20 more hp and get rid of the luxury features, don't add any. Heated seats? really? why in the world do you need heated seats in a Civic SI? Maybe a Toyota Avalon is more your speed? More colors to choose from, I detest gray cars. Make it lighter. Omit the AC, sound insulation, the radio, and the driving nannies.

Haha... And I just posted 'Lack of heated seats' as my biggest complaint..... lol. I used mine today!

It's just one of those things that once you experience you never want to go back (imo) One can enjoy a sporty car and like not being frozen in the dead of winter :)

I agree with the look of the 11th Gen.... Seeing more of them on the road recently and they are very good looking cars.

Hondabob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
Haha... And I just posted 'Lack of heated seats' as my biggest complaint..... lol. I used mine today!

It's just one of those things that once you experience you never want to go back (imo) One can enjoy a sporty car and like not being frozen in the dead of winter :)
Yeah absolutely. The Si is a sporty-ish commuter car, ainā€™t no race car lol. Heated seats are a must anywhere with 4 seasons. I even use mine in the summer to help with back pain after a long day at work.

Jessegovols

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda CRV, 2023 Civic Sport Touring (6MT)
A 10% power boost, the full digital display of the touring hatch so we at least could have a temp gauge. Lose the auto stop and start. Also if they are giving us the infotainment of the touring model why did they strip out Nav.
Sponsored