• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

In-Car GoPro Mount for Track Days

mmdct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR Crystal Black Pearl
I need a GoPro camera mount for track days. I am considering the Racermount from Evasive Motorsports but don't know if the fit works with the FL5 seats.

I am looking for a wide angle cockpit view that includes the shifter, the dash, and the front window.

Suggestions please.
Sponsored

TDC50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 Type R, C7 Corvette Grand Sport, Alfa Gulia
Iā€™ve watched others videos where they mount to their helmet. Shows everything going on in the cabin plus you can see where the driver is looking next

OP
OP
mmdct

mmdct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™ve watched others videos where they mount to their helmet. Shows everything going on in the cabin plus you can see where the driver is looking next
Thanks for the suggestion... sometimes those videos give me motion sickness :) A fixed mount works better for me.

yeaitsahonda

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Boost Blue Type R
Last edited:
OP
OP
mmdct

mmdct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought this after reading a post somewhere saying it works good. It wraps around the seat and holds the camera in the same spot as the one you linked. Havenā€™t driven with it yet tho so canā€™t tell if itā€™s gonna be sturdy enough.

https://www.amazon.com/JOBY-Gorilla...0GTZJA7Y&psc=1&ref_=pd_basp_bia_rpt_ba_s_1_sc
Interesting... thanks for sharing. I think I'm going to make my own mount from wood. A front piece (1x4x10 or so), with holes to match the harness openings, held in place with either a strong zip tie around and through the seat openings, or with a matching board on the other side secured with bolts. Then, I can mount a pedestal and GoPro holder to the wood. Should be easy to build for under 50 bucks.

TimeRacer

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Prelude
Do you need it to show your hand/head position? The mount you linked won't work with the Type-R seats as they need the extenders for the headrest to clamp onto. Why not just pick up a good dash cam and use that if it's only for track ahead, plus it can be used for daily driving recordings in case of an accident or other incident? GoPro's will have slightly better quality but ultimately for the heat related issues among other stuff that comes with them just doesn't seem worth the hassle fabricating.

OP
OP
mmdct

mmdct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you need it to show your hand/head position? The mount you linked won't work with the Type-R seats as they need the extenders for the headrest to clamp onto. Why not just pick up a good dash cam and use that if it's only for track ahead, plus it can be used for daily driving recordings in case of an accident or other incident? GoPro's will have slightly better quality but ultimately for the heat related issues among other stuff that comes with them just doesn't seem worth the hassle fabricating.
Thank you for validating my concern with the RacerMount. I do want the wide angle cockpit view as I enjoy watching the in car video almost as much as the driving. Of course, fabricating the unit will be harder than I think (always is), but I'll give it a go.

TimeRacer

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Prelude
Thank you for validating my concern with the RacerMount. I do want the wide angle cockpit view as I enjoy watching the in car video almost as much as the driving. Of course, fabricating the unit will be harder than I think (always is), but I'll give it a go.
Really depends upon how stable you want it to be and passing tech. Appears people have had good results with just the larger gorilla pods using the harness pass through on the FK8.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/gopro-mount-to-the-type-r-seat.30699/page-2

Or you'll also find some who have used the dome light screws to attach an arm onto. But seems these are all with the smaller session/mini.

yeaitsahonda

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Boost Blue Type R
Interesting... thanks for sharing. I think I'm going to make my own mount from wood. A front piece (1x4x10 or so), with holes to match the harness openings, held in place with either a strong zip tie around and through the seat openings, or with a matching board on the other side secured with bolts. Then, I can mount a pedestal and GoPro holder to the wood. Should be easy to build for under 50 bucks.
That would probably work better than the gorilla pod but I'm lazy haha. I think I'll probably wrap two of the legs through the hole in the seat and then add a zip tie or two and it should be good. The nice thing is I THINK I'll still be able to have a passenger without it affecting the camera. Will find out for sure next month.

OP
OP
mmdct

mmdct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That would probably work better than the gorilla pod but I'm lazy haha. I think I'll probably wrap two of the legs through the hole in the seat and then add a zip tie or two and it should be good. The nice thing is I THINK I'll still be able to have a passenger without it affecting the camera. Will find out for sure next month.
After looking at other posts with the Gorilla Pod mounted in the FK8, I bought one, so thank you for the suggestion. Let me know how things work out on track. I have my first event on 18-APR and would appreciate your learnings. Cheers.

OP
OP
mmdct

mmdct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

sackofcheese

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic SI, 1994 Miata (track toy)
Thanks for the suggestion... sometimes those videos give me motion sickness :) A fixed mount works better for me.
I'd say its worth a shot, especially with the newer GoPros and stability features. I just have an old hero4 Session (2015), and its not too bad.

evanescent03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ITS, C8 Z06; great pairing
I need a GoPro camera mount for track days. I am considering the Racermount from Evasive Motorsports but don't know if the fit works with the FL5 seats.

I am looking for a wide angle cockpit view that includes the shifter, the dash, and the front window.

Suggestions please.
EDIT**dangit - i didn't see the post above before typing the following post, but i guess count me as +1 for the helmet mount. it's busier but also less clinical = more interesting imo ... of course you are entitled to your opinion/preference!***

i like helmet mount on the side .. shows shifter, windshield, steering wheel and speedo pretty well. a little more active than the solid mounts like you showed. i never found one of those that i really liked and the helmet mount is quite easy, accessible and easy to swap from car to car, obviously.

a lot of the in-car mounts similar to the one you showed seem to be on harness bars.

good luck in your search & looking forward to the videos! when's the next track day?

OP
OP
mmdct

mmdct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
thanks for the feedback... i might try the helmet mount. first trackday is 4/18 assuming the FL5 shows up...

yeaitsahonda

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Boost Blue Type R
First track day with the Gorilla Pod. After I bought it and put it on at the house I really didn't think it was going to work to well. Thought for sure it was going to be too bouncy mounted to the seat. But thankfully the video is pretty damn smooth. Happy with the purchase.
Sponsored