• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Tow Strap Setup for the Track

scuderia_miso

First Name
Teddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5, FA5, AP2
Some of you were interested in my tow strap setup so instead of hijacking someone else's thread, I made my own. This setup will obviously not be for everyone so if you don't like it or want to go with a different solution, that's awesome. Honda definitely made it tricky/impossible to come up with a perfect front tow solution for the track on this car. Hopefully, this will help some of you track junkies that weren't stoked about the tow hook/strap options we currently have.

Why I did it this way:
Yes, I am aware that Evasive sells a front and rear tow hook kit. So why did I go this route instead of Evasive tow hooks? The strap is lighter weight, doesn't block the brake duct at all, and can be stowed away when not in use. Admittedly, after seeing the TCR FL5's with their red tow straps I really liked that look and took some inspiration from them. The Spoon 25 hour Thunderhill race car also helped inspire this idea.

Front Strap:
I drilled a hole in the bumper beam, added a 3/8" thick aluminum spacer bracket, and strategically stacked some high strength washers to get it to the right height. There is also a large high strength washer on the underside which you can't see. This required minor trimming of the black plastic piece that runs in front of the crash beam, and some minor trimming of the rubber air duct. Neither of these modifications would be noticeable if i decide to remove the strap later on.

11th Gen Honda Civic Tow Strap Setup for the Track IMG_1722
11th Gen Honda Civic Tow Strap Setup for the Track IMG_1785

11th Gen Honda Civic Tow Strap Setup for the Track IMG_1784
11th Gen Honda Civic Tow Strap Setup for the Track IMG_1790

11th Gen Honda Civic Tow Strap Setup for the Track IMG_1786

Rear Strap:
For this one, I simply purchased the Evasive rear tow strap since it's dirt cheap ($100). It would have cost me more to design and machine a shaft like this than it did to buy theirs. I hacked off the end of it and designed a lasercut bracket to TIG weld onto it. I bought a spare tow hook cover to make it look a little nicer without hacking up my stock one. When it isn't track season, I can easily remove this and put the stock cover back on.

11th Gen Honda Civic Tow Strap Setup for the Track IMG_1779
11th Gen Honda Civic Tow Strap Setup for the Track IMG_1781

11th Gen Honda Civic Tow Strap Setup for the Track IMG_1778
Sponsored

void*

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Boost Blue Honda Civic Type R
Curious, and I don't intend any hidden subtext: have you needed tow hooks previously on track?

I generally throw a front hook on my ND Miata when running Track Night in America (and the occasional SCCA Time Trial), but it's a low-key environment, and I've always thought if I had room in the car to have the hook on hand, it would be sufficient to have in e.g. glove box or trunk to throw on in the event of an incident. I'm mostly wondering if other non-competitive events generally expect/appreciate folks to have tow hooks installed while on track. Aesthetics and peace-of-mind aside.

OP
OP
scuderia_miso

scuderia_miso

First Name
Teddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5, FA5, AP2
@void* I might be the minority here but I have a pretty highly modified S2000 that I've been tracking for about 10 years and I've had 4 failures that have resulted in needing a tow to get my car off the track or onto the trailer. Definitely would not have been ideal for me to get the tow hook out of the glove box (not that my car has one) in the on track situations.

I haven't ever used it to get myself out of an off track excursion though. I think if you go to a track like Buttonwillow during the rainy season it's easy to get stuck in the mud and I've seen people need tow hooks for that.

I am optimistic that I won't need a tow on the FL5 anytime soon but GTA and most time attack groups require front and rear tow hooks/straps. The track days in my area just require either front or rear I believe.

Last edited:

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
Anyone have the part number for the rear tow cover? I would also like to drill into my current one but would want a new one when I want to swap it out.

yeaitsahonda

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Boost Blue Type R
Anyone have the part number for the rear tow cover? I would also like to drill into my current one but would want a new one when I want to swap it out.
Tagged you in the other thread that has the part number.

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
Thank you

Rad Ray

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Some of you were interested in my tow strap setup so instead of hijacking someone else's thread, I made my own. This setup will obviously not be for everyone so if you don't like it or want to go with a different solution, that's awesome. Honda definitely made it tricky/impossible to come up with a perfect front tow solution for the track on this car. Hopefully, this will help some of you track junkies that weren't stoked about the tow hook/strap options we currently have.

Why I did it this way:
Yes, I am aware that Evasive sells a front and rear tow hook kit. So why did I go this route instead of Evasive tow hooks? The strap is lighter weight, doesn't block the brake duct at all, and can be stowed away when not in use. Admittedly, after seeing the TCR FL5's with their red tow straps I really liked that look and took some inspiration from them. The Spoon 25 hour Thunderhill race car also helped inspire this idea.

Front Strap:
I drilled a hole in the bumper beam, added a 3/8" thick aluminum spacer bracket, and strategically stacked some high strength washers to get it to the right height. There is also a large high strength washer on the underside which you can't see. This required minor trimming of the black plastic piece that runs in front of the crash beam, and some minor trimming of the rubber air duct. Neither of these modifications would be noticeable if i decide to remove the strap later on.

IMG_1722.jpeg
IMG_1785.jpeg

IMG_1784.jpeg
IMG_1790.jpeg

IMG_1786.jpeg

Rear Strap:
For this one, I simply purchased the Evasive rear tow strap since it's dirt cheap ($100). It would have cost me more to design and machine a shaft like this than it did to buy theirs. I hacked off the end of it and designed a lasercut bracket to TIG weld onto it. I bought a spare tow hook cover to make it look a little nicer without hacking up my stock one. When it isn't track season, I can easily remove this and put the stock cover back on.

IMG_1779.jpeg
IMG_1781.jpeg

IMG_1778.jpeg
Very well done and thanks for sharing. My 06 S2000 was also highly modified and not well-designed originally for track towing (time attack). I used it more for pulling out of snow banks during winter driving to-and-from work - LOL!

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
There are quite a few front hook tow options for the S2000. You guys can’t use any of them?

OP
OP
scuderia_miso

scuderia_miso

First Name
Teddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5, FA5, AP2
@TW00Si I think @Rad Ray is just saying the tow solution he had wasn't the best. Not that there aren't a lot of options. There definitely are a lot of good options (unlike the FL5). I haven't had any issues with my Raceseng tow hooks on my S2k. They work great and have been used multiple times.