• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Interior noises - rattles, creaks, squeaks!

TimeRacer

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Prelude
I get you just paid a pretty hefty chunk of change for your car but a lot of this is simply stemming from the first cars that roll off the line. Depending on the type of noise and volume, much of this is simply solved with low friction tape. The seat itself is probably not built by Honda and is just yet another supplier. Just hope it's not the level of failure like Takata. But overall if that's the only two problems with the car, heck of a lot better than a lot of other recent roll outs. Would you rather have the Hyundai engine recall issue, KIA USB defeat or the BRZ/GR86 engine clogging issue among a plethora of other issues other cars have had on launch? Get annoyed if Honda's support network can't fix the issue.
Sponsored

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
[QUOTE="ncryptm3,...The glove box constantly rattles / creaks, etc. ...[/QUOTE]

Our '12 Si had a similar rattle - took it to dealer and they found extra front license plate screws in the glove box!

OP
OP
ncryptm3

ncryptm3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
[QUOTE="ncryptm3,...The glove box constantly rattles / creaks, etc. ...
Our '12 Si had a similar rattle - took it to dealer and they found extra front license plate screws in the glove box!
[/QUOTE]

Yea mine is more like squeaking from plastic rubbing together. Does it with nothing in there.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
You'd think the stiffer chassis and nvh insulation, squeaks and rattles would be the thing of the past. My gti is tight as a drum so far.

Last edited:

Village911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 #839
This is exactly why I always abstain from first year production models. Bugs, issues, recalls, etc. itā€™s inevitable, even on a Civic.
Buying a car is gambling. I've seen a lot of fk8s (20-21) with software issues (loose/weak harnasses that cause CEL and more) and noises...

On the other hand, some 2017 fk8s have no problems at all. It really is gambling! šŸ¤ž

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack
Buying a car is gambling. I've seen a lot of fk8s (20-21) with software issues (loose/weak harnasses that cause CEL and more) and noises...

On the other hand, some 2017 fk8s have no problems at all. It really is gambling! šŸ¤ž
Iā€™ve also seen more tranny grinding issues with the earlier FK8ā€™s. But it is gambling after all, I agree.

This may apply mostly to older cars that werenā€™t known for reliability in the first place, but, historically, first year models have been plagued with more issues, especially those made with performance in mind.

Some of the most sought after cars ever made were most reliable in the final production year. It doesnā€™t mean they didnā€™t have issues, just less issues overall. Some examples:

- The most sought after and reliable W140 was and still is the 1999 (last year)
- Same goes for the 2006 e46 M3 and 2003 e39 M5.
- 2008/2009 S2kā€™s
- Pretty much every iteration of a 911
- All Alfa Romeoā€™s ever made
etc.

However, I will acknowledge that this is less applicable today as many more cars are built on shared platforms and Honda is already reliable, so it may be harder to discern.

It also depends on the manufacturer and their willingness (or lack thereof) to acknowledge problems. Certain issues and recalls arenā€™t fully revealed until some time after launch.

citrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CZ4A, Abarth 500, ZZW30, ND2 RF
Iā€™ve also seen more tranny grinding issues with the earlier FK8ā€™s. But it is gambling after all, I agree.

This may apply mostly to older cars that werenā€™t known for reliability in the first place, but, historically, first year models have been plagued with more issues, especially those made with performance in mind.

Some of the most sought after cars ever made were most reliable in the final production year. It doesnā€™t mean they didnā€™t have issues, just less issues overall. Some examples:

- The most sought after and reliable W140 was and still is the 1999 (last year)
- Same goes for the 2006 e46 M3 and 2003 e39 M5.
- 2008/2009 S2kā€™s
- Pretty much every iteration of a 911
- All Alfa Romeoā€™s ever made
etc.

However, I will acknowledge that this is less applicable today as many more cars are built on shared platforms and Honda is already reliable, so it may be harder to discern.

It also depends on the manufacturer and their willingness (or lack thereof) to acknowledge problems. Certain issues and recalls arenā€™t fully revealed until some time after launch.
My intuition is that early models are also subject to more abuse. Within the first model year, it's not uncommon for a car to go through two or more owners with different driving styles, maintenance, storage, etc. Buyers near the end of a model cycle are more likely to keep their cars longer, since they're past the thrash-and-toss crowd. Thoughts?

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 #1348 (Sold), FL5 #682
somehow I think natural frequency of the car have something to do with it...
with new tire and wheels, the car might be "jiggling" or "vibrating" a bit different stock wheel set up.
and if this vibration hit resonant frequencies of any lose part/harness, it will start to vibrate...
Not sure, but the only difference between cars making noise and not are the wheel set up.
if not too much troble, maybe put stock wheels back on and drive around...see if the noise is still there. Also, perhaps, try parking the car in the sun for an hour, then drive to see if noise goes away...

maybe? :bonk:

Mimzie2763

First Name
Parker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Toyota Supra Turbo 6MT, 2023 FL5
Now I am scared that mine will rattle and creak. My Elantra N had so many rattles right until I sold it.

Xchax3

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBP '23 Civic Type R #711
Update on my creaks in center console: It stopped. Will investigate further tomorrow. Was probably something in my console like sunglasses or something.

Ministry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Boost Blue #684, 2022 Si (sold)
Some squeaking surfaced in the front drivers seat of my FL5 during an ACH run over the weekend. Can only hear it by rocking side to side up against the bolsters. I setup an appointment with the dealership to have a look next Monday.
Sponsored