• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Interior noises - rattles, creaks, squeaks!

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Seat frames would not be a recall, FYI. If ANYTHING, perhaps a technical service bulletin, but definitely not a recall. I even doubt they’ll issue a TSB for it.
Depends on how pervasive the problem is. For there to be a recall, I think there’d need to be a safety problem, right? At least that’s my understanding.
Sponsored

Bpebler

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ram, 20 Durango, 00 Cherokee, 99 Trans Am
I’ll have to look for it. Someone brought theirs in for a complaint on the squeakiness of the seat frames & said the dealer got a call from corporate to stop with the standard replacement & that they had new ones to send for the repair & that a recall is sounding likely.

I thought it was this thread, but after being corrected earlier I’m starting to second guess. Lol Too many forums.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
My driver’s seat has been fine. I haven’t really sat in the passenger’s seat. Car #2888. Wondering if my car already has the newer seat frame straight off the production line? If I start having problems, it’s good to know there’s a proper fix nonetheless.

Appreciate everyone sharing their experiences and info here. Super helpful. 🙂

daazn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Miata
Finally got my first rattle in the seatbelt. Was driving through some not so smooth roads and it started rattling. Almost 500 miles in

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Found the main rattling problem in my passenger’s side. It’s the kick panel by the lower glove box panel. Feeling around behind there, I think there’s a broken clip. Really sucks because I don’t think this is a simple thing to replace. 😕 Check out my vid.

I was able to stuff a piece of foam behind there which took care of the rattling, so that’s good. I’m going to take it over to the dealer and see what they say.

Last edited:

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Alright folks, found the glove box area rattle and fixed it! 🤩 It’s very simple. All you need to do is stuff some “yoga mat” foam (or similar soft foam) into this area (see pic). I cut a piece that was about 2” x 8” and folded it over on itself a couple of times so it is 4x thick. There’s a hollow cavity in that area I circled and apparently it is rattling vertically against some inner components there.

Here’s the foam I used.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0B5TMHR26?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

11th Gen Honda Civic Interior noises - rattles, creaks, squeaks! E046754D-4F8B-4D3A-87B7-7A90DCA389E0

Last edited:

Bonito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Encountered a fun and new rattle today. The passenger side vent on top of the dashboard is giving me a LOT of rattle. I might try to reseat it or jam some foam in it until I get take it to a dealer.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I’m getting a trunk area rattle that sounds almost exactly like a loose license plate. I’ve checked and re-checked my license plate. That’s not the problem. I can’t find anything else obvious to check. It’s a metallic tapping sound (or could be something plastic tapping on metal) and it only does this on really bumpy, cracked, road surfaces. The roads where I live are awful and I can hear the sound even with music playing. Anyone have any ideas on things to check? I’ll just take it to the dealer if necessary, but I like to try and fix minor things myself before resorting to that.

JAMSXR

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C63
1k miles in, there are a few buzzes at certain RPMs but this is a stiff performance car, not an E-class… No doubt people are hearing issues, but it also feels like some people are expecting are totally silent car…

Part of me thinks the right hand drive cars are experiencing less issues for one reason or another…

It’s a whole lot quieter than my C63 from an interior creaks and rattles perspective. My BMWs were quieter but dull as dishwater to drive in comparison.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Yeah, I can live with some slight rattles and I do expect that. I lived with an ‘09 Si for almost 14 years. But some are MUCH worse than slight. The “license plate rattle” sound coming from the back of my car is pretty bad. It doesn’t seem to be coming from the hatch door itself. I’d expect it to rattle when I close it. I’ve check the tire fixing kit and all is fine there too.

Doing some investigating I think it may actually be coming from a plastic panel under the car (right next to the shiny black portion of the rear diffuser). It might be bouncing up and down and tapping on something metal under there (possibly a heat shield)? Maybe I’m simply missing a clip or maybe a screw came loose? No one else seems to have this problem on this forum or others, so help on this one is hard to come by.

Last edited:

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I think I found the problem. Frikkin’ rocks are rattling in my diffuser between the plastic part and the metal (heat shield). There’s drain holes in the diffuser for water to pass thru. Those holes are also apparently perfect for collecting small rocks and then they get stuck in there (between the plastic and metal) and rattle like crazy when I hit bumps in the road! Ugh. Think I can probably wash them out of there with high pressure water at the car wash. Short of that, I may have to take the diffuser apart. I can’t dig them out of there with my fingers. The space is too tight, and there’s certainly more sandwiched back in there that can’t be seen.

11th Gen Honda Civic Interior noises - rattles, creaks, squeaks! IMG_1514

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Well…I have good news and bad news.

Good news is that I was able to wash the rocks and junk out of the diffuser by concentrating the pressure sprayer where the rocks were stuck. Banging on that area of the diffuser with my hand, I no longer hear rocks rattling. Nice!

The bad news is I still have the metallic “license plate rattle” sound coming from the back when I hit sudden bumps in the pavement. There must be a loose wiring harness or something along those lines inside the bumper that’s rattling ; Maybe I’m missing a piece of insulation or a clip? Looks like I’m gonna have to take it to the dealership as I think I’ve checked all the obvious things without taking the car apart…unless anyone has ideas of things to check?

Last edited:

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
On March 30, 2023, American Honda notified NHTSA of a stop sale and safety recall for certain model year 2023 Civic Type R units due to improper manufacturing of the driver seat cushion frame assembly. In the event of a collision, the seat may not properly restrain the occupant, increasing the risk of injury

During manufacturing, the driver seat cushion frame assembly may have been improperly welded. An improperly welded seat frame may not hold the seat in position during a collision preventing the occupant from being properly restrained.

Repair procedures are currently unavailable at launch. We will notify you when repair procedures become available.

From Honda... Edited by me.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Appears that way so far, yeah. I don’t have a lot of seat time, but my seats have never squeaked (2nd wave car). Glad they’re getting this fixed!
Sponsored