• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

TrackS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jordan 1
I left the dealership with 5 miles on the clock on my FK8 and raped it

held like a champ
😂 good to hear you have no issues - it's hard to wait that's for sure!

That said, there's a good Engineering Explained video around why the break-in period exists (as opposed to the idea that it's not needed) - primarily it's so that any imperfections are ground down smoothly.

Also references the NSX where Honda specifically break-in the engine on that car before installation.

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
😂 good to hear you have no issues - it's hard to wait that's for sure!

That said, there's a good Engineering Explained video around why the break-in period exists (as opposed to the idea that it's not needed) - primarily it's so that any imperfections are ground down smoothly.

Also references the NSX where Honda specifically break-in the engine on that car before installation.
I remember I saw that video and went oh shit after literally doing all of the things he said not to do with my Scion tC 😂

70k miles and no issues so it must've have been that bad lol

TrackS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jordan 1
I remember I saw that video and went oh shit after literally doing all of the things he said not to do with my Scion tC 😂

70k miles and no issues so it must've have been that bad lol
Ouch. Yea it may not always be noticeable as a malfunction or specific 'issue' or anything like that - the potentially noticeable symptoms might be things like less power, because the rings didn't seat correctly for example (doesn't mean this is always the case, just a possibility). Or it may be that any related issue that shows up, shows up after 5 years instead of 6 years (just for example) - given the car could then be out of the warranty period, I imagine that's likely why 'break-in' is not a prominent featured sign that hangs down from the windscreen when you buy it...

Last edited:

Orveezy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2020 Toyota Supra
Any indication of how much the car weighs?

TrackS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jordan 1
Lower mass, yes, but not unsprung. The wing is, after all, supported by the springs.
Look above your comment for additional clarification - I'm thinking some stronger bolts between the spoiler and the hatch should unspring it. 😂

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
I read 38 lbs somewhere else other than here.

I wouldn't lose much sleep over comparisons to the JDM. The way they calculate curb (kerb) weight is different.

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2024 Civic Type R
I was staring at the fuzzy text where the cooling improvements are outlined. My kanji reading sucks but this is what I think it says:

Radiator inlet is 48% larger. Water pump pulley size changed to increase water circulation by 10%.​
Radiator core area was enlarged to improve cooling 8.8%. Fans were changed from 2 smaller fans to one larger fan which preserves cooling performance while reducing the shroud area. This allows for better airflow during high speed running.​
Hood vent expels heat while also improving downforce.​

Last edited:

BigBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Does this mean that I still have to turn off 10 different annoyances every time I get in the car?

I sure as hell hope somebody can code this crap off by default. All this garbage in the name of safety. It completely ruins the driving experience and nobody will ever convince me otherwise.

I left the BMW world (in part) thinking that I can get away from this nonsense, but it sounds like it’s the standard nowadays and here to stay for good.
Hyundai Elantra N has the best options and UI. Can turn TC off while moving, can change any variable in many combinations. Got in the Type R and was like WTF. For a track focused car, it could be a bit better in giving the driver more control over what they want to do.
Sponsored

Reactions: 007