• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

max speed restriction at 220kmh ( Middle Eastern models )

MashTypeR

First Name
Mashhur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
Dear Gentleman,

I have tried to push my car to high speeds, in our usual mountain pass drives, with long straights and unrestricted speed limits. To my surprise, the car reach 220kmh at 5th gear ( not even in red line ) and that was its max. almost like the computer of the car was restricting it from going any further.

After doing some research. It was clear to see that Honda advertises the car at 170mph top speed, which is around 273kmh.

Many videos on Youtube show the car reaching well above the 270kmh mark. one video showed a test where the car reached 283kmh.

Here is my question ; Why are the cars coming to the Middle East restricted to a max speed of 210kmh ?

Also, what is the easiest way to unlock this restriction safely?

Thank you,
Sponsored

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
What did the car do when you upshifted to sixth from your max speed in fifth? If you did not try that, might be worth a shot. Sometimes cars stop accelerating in a gear before they redline.
Just in case you figured if it won't go faster in fifth, sixth won't help.
Also at higher speeds the acceleration slows down due to wind drag and gearing.
Good luck. You deserve the 170 you paid for, not an SI-like 137 mph.

OP
OP

MashTypeR

First Name
Mashhur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
What did the car do when you upshifted to sixth from your max speed in fifth? If you did not try that, might be worth a shot. Sometimes cars stop accelerating in a gear before they redline.

Dear, Cornercarver

I did upshift to 6th, to see if anything different happens, nothing happened. The speed stayed put at 220kmh.

So, it was confirmed to me that the car has a restricter.

With regards to the drag, its also not that. Because, I had a long straight and stayed put at 220kmh for a LONG time, without any sign that the speedo is moving higher.

Fanatic

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Civic Type R and many more...
"... mountain pass drives"?

Do you have any controlled stretches of road where it is much safer to experiment with top speeds?

Don't want to see you or anyone get hurt.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
I guess it depends where in the mid east you are.

I would be very surprised, for example, to find a speed limiter put on a car for sale in Dubai, for example, with the large number of driving enthusiasts, plus some very long, straight roads that lend themselves to top speed pulls.

But other countries may have required that from Honda. Can't imagine it is Honda's idea.

I don't know if an aftermarket chip -Hondata, K-tune, etc. -would help?, anyone else want to pitch in on that idea, be my guest. It might still run into the limiter - or it might be able to go around it, just not sure.

pudharee

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic type R
I am from the Middle East (KUWAIT). I do not have any real information about type R or Honda in particular, but as for the other manufacturers, there are no speed limits from the factory also it is illogical for it to be a speed limiter at 220kmh, as the highest permitted speed in the ME to my knowledge is 160kmh in Abu Dhabi While most ME countries the limit is 120kmh so why put the limit at 220kmh and not 160kmh?!

AG.10

First Name
Abdullah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R FL5
I'm from the middle east ( SAUDI ARABIA) and I have a civic type R FL5 AND YES I can confirm I have the same issue with speed limiter 220 is the max speed I just tried it past weekend and was surprised.

pudharee

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic type R
I'm from the middle east ( SAUDI ARABIA) and I have a civic type R FL5 AND YES I can confirm I have the same issue with speed limiter 220 is the max speed I just tried it past weekend and was surprised.
I was sure that I will not need to drive faster than 220 km, but now I have to test this myself :(

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Road & Track did a test recently to see how long it would take for each car in the test to go from 0 to 150 mph (~241 kmh) then back to 0. It took the FL5 52.7 seconds. It is limited by gearing and aerodynamics. This car is built and geared for curvy tracks, not straight line speed. I think if you keep pressing on the gas you can continue to 150 mph + if you have enough straight road to drive on and no headwind.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a45765845/honda-civic-type-r-0-to-150-to-0-speed-test-2023/

OP
OP

MashTypeR

First Name
Mashhur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
Road & Track did a test recently to see how long it would take for each car in the test to go from 0 to 150 mph (~241 kmh) then back to 0. It took the FL5 52.7 seconds. It is limited by gearing and aerodynamics. This car is built and geared for curvy tracks, not straight line speed. I think if you keep pressing on the gas you can continue to 150 mph + if you have enough straight road to drive on and no headwind.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a45765845/honda-civic-type-r-0-to-150-to-0-speed-test-2023/
11th Gen Honda Civic max speed restriction at 220kmh ( Middle Eastern models ) C95BAF1C-2DE4-4965-841C-C85F76662E97

11th Gen Honda Civic max speed restriction at 220kmh ( Middle Eastern models ) 40ADA929-E528-489B-955B-BE6B0A833AF6

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Wow. Must be some kind of government regulatory thing in your country. You’ll probably have to jailbreak the ECU and get a tune to bypass the 210 kmh limiter. This could get you in trouble if you have yearly car inspections as I’ve heard some countries do.

Vito.FL5

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 1997 civic Vti EK4, 1999 sedan
Find someone local with an AUTOTUNER tool, read the ECU at the bench, and send me the file I can remove the limiter for you.
Sponsored