• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Normal oil temperature seems low

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I get what you’re saying. It still seems really odd. I guess maybe it won’t update the oil temp unless I warm the oil back up beyond where it “left off” when the car was turned off, maybe?
Sponsored

CTRifecta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
I get what you’re saying. It still seems really odd. I guess maybe it won’t update the oil temp unless I warm the oil back up beyond where it “left off” when the car was turned off, maybe?
Good theory

fredzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sienna, GR86, FL5
My car is reluctant to break 180 in normal driving.. I figured it was normal and that other people would be asking about it haha.

All other cars I've owned that told me oil temp lived around 200. I do worry that the lower temps won't cook out as much water etc.

rBobby

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
I will be installing an oil temp sensor in the oil pan during my next oil change. I plan to see how accurate the calculated temp is vs. a reading from the oil pan. My plan is to check temps at a track day with no oil cooler and one after installing an oil cooler.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
I will be installing an oil temp sensor in the oil pan during my next oil change. I plan to see how accurate the calculated temp is vs. a reading from the oil pan. My plan is to check temps at a track day with no oil cooler and one after installing an oil cooler.
Love this! Keep us posted on the data you collect. Which oil temp sensor are you going with?

rBobby

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
I got this wireless sensor and it has a simple app that provides logging on your phone up to 150C. I did not want to run wires or have a permanent gauge in my car. I tested the sensor to ambient temps and my thermopro bbq probes and it is spot on.

https://phoenixsensors.com/products/wireless-temperature-transducer-wets02/

I'll also see if the calculated temp changes between 0w20 vs 5w30 since pressure might be part of the calculation.

Samurai1225

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
'll also see if the calculated temp changes between 0w20 vs 5w30 since pressure might be part of the calculation.
I also heard this, but since oil has been known to and often does shear I wonder how much of a real difference viscosity makes in the oil temp reading...

rBobby

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
Agreed, maybe they factor in maintenance minder oil life to account for shear. Or maybe its a super simple calculation to give us a number to make Log R look cool.
Sponsored