• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Normal oil temperature seems low

urbo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
I just had my CTR for a week now and am busy looking at and testing different things. One thing I noticed is that my oil temp, once the car is warmed up and driven for 20-30min, hovers around 185F. This is on a 700-80F degree day out. Seems low to me compared with most cars I've had (BMW, Porsche), where the normal operating oil temperature was 220 or so. I'm not pushing it hard, as I'm gently breaking it in, but yeah, even when a bit spirited for 45min or so, still 190F max. Does the oil temp run lower on these engines than what I'm used to?
Sponsored

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
Based on the information you have provided, yes, it does seem to.

I don't always keep a super close eye on it but the only time I saw 215 was during a VERY spirited drive. :)

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
Yeah, it does seem to run low, its by design Im assuming. Not really a problem for me.

CTRifecta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
I notice at constant speeds e.g. highway cruising, it hovers at 185 , but as soon as you feed in throttle it gets to 195-205 pretty quickly. I'm curious as to how high it will get at my track day next weekend

savagegeese

First Name
Savagegeese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
This is normal for this car, it also recovers more quickly from high heat. With 0w20, the normal oil temps can be much lower with no loss of efficiency.

JUNHPARK18

First Name
Jun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Cayman S, 2023 Honda Civic Type R, 2015 BMW
i took it to the track and the highest i have got it to is 258 degrees

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
I'd drive it a bit hard to get the oil temps up every so often to boil off the extra gas and contaminants.

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: K20Z1 EK Civic, Golf R Mk7.5, B8 RS4
Build Thread
Link
Normal. 190F/88C is bang on for street driving - it usually equals the water temp as both the engine oil and transmission fluid is water cooled.

On track I've seen the oil creep up to 250F/121C while the water tries its best to control it but will also creep up (although not as high).

openeyesignal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 CRV
250 is a little on the high side for oil isn't it? I thought 220 is the ideal hot temperature.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Full synthetics can withstand temps of 300+ degrees easily. ~220 degrees is good for burning off water vapor and deposits.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Related to this topic : I noticed when I start the car for the first time of the day, the oil temp number will show and gradually climb as I drive. This is obviously normal. Here’s what’s weird : After driving a while (long enough to get the oil up to operating temp) and then I stop and turn the car off for a relatively short while (maybe anywhere from 10-30 mins), when I restart then car the oil temp doesn’t show. There’s just a couple of dashed lines where the numbers should be. Even after driving for 10-15 minutes the oil temp numbers don’t reappear. Anyone else notice this?

CTRifecta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Related to this topic : I noticed when I start the car for the first time of the day, the oil temp number will show and gradually climb as I drive. This is obviously normal. Here’s what’s weird : After driving a while (long enough to get the oil up to operating temp) and then I stop and turn the car off for a relatively short while (maybe anywhere from 10-30 mins), when I restart then car the oil temp doesn’t show. There’s just a couple of dashed lines where the numbers should be. Even after driving for 10-15 minutes the oil temp numbers don’t reappear. Anyone else notice this?
That's because we don't have a real oil temp gauge, it's an inferred oil temp gauge.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
That's because we don't have a real oil temp gauge, it's an inferred oil temp gauge.
Sorry, I don’t understand. Why does it no longer infer the oil temp after the car is restarted? This seems pretty important for a track car, right?

CTRifecta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
It's not that it no longer infers, it's more that the logic probably doesn't accommodate for an already warmed up vehicle
Sponsored