• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
?? that its a different clutch disk since the flywheels different
I just checked out the Honda press release that noted all the changes to the drivetrain. Here's what was said regarding the flywheel and the transmission. No upgrades to the clutch were mentioned.
A new single-mass flywheel is 26 percent lighter than the dual-mass unit used in the previous Si. The flywheel’s 30 percent reduction in inertia gives the 1.5-liter turbocharged engine a snappier throttle response for an even sportier driving experience, while also improving drivability. To maximize available traction when accelerating, power is routed to the front wheels through a standard helical limited-slip differential.

Equipped exclusively with a manual transmission, Si’s 6-speed has been updated for enthusiast drivers with improved shift feel and 10 percent shorter throws. A new, more rigid shift lever mounting bracket and a new leather-wrapped aluminum shift knob similar to the Civic Type R’s contribute to the improved feel.
Sponsored

Last edited:

20ABM06MT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
@mattsSi

One thought- the 10th gen hatch would not have a LSD while the Si does.. this will really change the likelihood of the tires breaking loose as the LSD will work to direct the torque between the R and L wheel…

Really curious how your observations develop as the engine gets broken in and you get more hard pulls in!

explodingGTI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTI
Haven't watched this one, but other reviews mentioned 5 seconds with the dual clutch transmission.
No, I meant, he talks about the Civic Si tests specifically, it's not related to the Hyundai. He says (@ 11:55 ) that reviewers he knows that attended the California launch event and did instrumented testing achieved 0-60 in the 7-8s range, due to not wanting to roast the clutch. This is a preview for the reviews next week I think. I'm guessing he didn't go to the event, so he's not under any NDA

js4square

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic lx 2016 MT
As a current owner of an 2018 Accord Sport 2.0T with the manual transmission, I just don’t understand why it’s still the 1.5T in the SI. Looks like i’ll have to settle for the Type R. But I really like the look of the new SI. Gorgeous car, especially in Sonic Gray or Rally red. I Just can’t settle for the 200hp… my 1998 Prelude was more powerful ! But still, gorgeous car !

explodingGTI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTI
I got my car, SGP, basically same car as OP’s, drove it for around 100km. My first impressions are very positive - the highlight for me is that the clutch/shifter are incredibly satisfying to use, and the power delivery feels very linear. I’m also keeping it under 4000-ish RPM for now.

At first I was pretty underwhelmed by the power, but as I drove it more, I think I understood what Honda is going for here - it’s a tactile experience kind of car - the gears are short, the engine revs up really fast as you accelerate, and the gear changes are incredibly satisfying, which makes getting to the speed limit feel really fun. The relationship between power and gearing feels well balanced.

This is a stark contrast to my GTI, which has far more torque, with a long 2nd gear, so you get that prolonged acceleration sensation. The GTI is also very rubber-bandy in its power delivery, due to the turbo lag. The Honda feels much more linear.

As for handling, the front end feels pretty light and responsive, and the ride feels just right to me - it’s neither soft nor overly stiff. It’s softer than my GTI, which I find too firm for my liking.

Also, the fake engine noise is obnoxious in Sport, but it’s far quieter in Normal. Looks like the modes control the volume, as I suspected.

Auto start-stop seems fine, my first car with it. It just kinda works, don’t find it particularly jarring or annoying. Makes the car quieter sitting at red lights.

I may post more impressions as I drive more, hopefully this is helpful.

OP
OP

mattsSi

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic hatchback sport
Does the normal driving mode also have fake exhaust noise? Or only sport?

I have a theory that it’s programmed this way:

sport - fake engine note
normal/individual - no fake engine note

I think that’s how it was in the 10th gen. I really wish there was a menu toggle for this
You're right GTI, no fake exhaust asking in normal mode.

OP
OP

mattsSi

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You're right GTI, no fake exhaust asking in normal mode.
Asking? Sound! I didn't notice any fake sound in normal mode.. I'm probably wrong.

OP
OP

mattsSi

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@mattsSi

One thought- the 10th gen hatch would not have a LSD while the Si does.. this will really change the likelihood of the tires breaking loose as the LSD will work to direct the torque between the R and L wheel…

Really curious how your observations develop as the engine gets broken in and you get more hard pulls in!
You're absolutely right about the LSD and the likelihood of the tires breaking loose being less with the Si. I've thought about this a lot too over the last couple of days. After some driving today I don't believe the LSD is what's preventing them from breaking, it's lack of torque. Even in the rain earlier this evening I had a hard time spinning the tires in second.
Can't wait for the tunes to be available soon, with all of the advantages of this Si vs the previous hatch, I like to have that torque on demand like it was with the previous generation.
Not to put Honda down, I've owned everything from thier lawnmowers, to 2 stroke dirt bikes and thier VTEC preludes, civics. But - this car needs more torque to support the Si badge. It's a shame we need to risk voiding warranty coverage for something they could have easily done from the factory.
I'm certain it's because they want them to be reliable past the 200k mark..
Love the car, but slightly disappointed it needs an aftermarket tune.

S2000toCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IS350
I got my car, SGP, basically same car as OP’s, drove it for around 100km. My first impressions are very positive - the highlight for me is that the clutch/shifter are incredibly satisfying to use, and the power delivery feels very linear. I’m also keeping it under 4000-ish RPM for now.

At first I was pretty underwhelmed by the power, but as I drove it more, I think I understood what Honda is going for here - it’s a tactile experience kind of car - the gears are short, the engine revs up really fast as you accelerate, and the gear changes are incredibly satisfying, which makes getting to the speed limit feel really fun. The relationship between power and gearing feels well balanced.

This is a stark contrast to my GTI, which has far more torque, with a long 2nd gear, so you get that prolonged acceleration sensation. The GTI is also very rubber-bandy in its power delivery, due to the turbo lag. The Honda feels much more linear.

As for handling, the front end feels pretty light and responsive, and the ride feels just right to me - it’s neither soft nor overly stiff. It’s softer than my GTI, which I find too firm for my liking.

Also, the fake engine noise is obnoxious in Sport, but it’s far quieter in Normal. Looks like the modes control the volume, as I suspected.

Auto start-stop seems fine, my first car with it. It just kinda works, don’t find it particularly jarring or annoying. Makes the car quieter sitting at red lights.

I may post more impressions as I drive more, hopefully this is helpful.
How does auto start/stop work with a manual though? When you put it in neutral at a stop, I assume it shuts off. But when does it turn back on? Is it once you put it into first (before hitting the gas), or does it turn back on as you hit the gas?

Steve182022

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic LX coupe, 6 spd; '20 Civic Sport sdn, 6
Asking? Sound! I didn't notice any fake sound in normal mode.. I'm probably wrong.
What about "individual" mode? Do you hear piped in engine sound? Or can you shut it off there?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Keep in mind even the last gen Si was borderline slowish. It only tested a couple tenths faster to 60 than the non-Si turbo models stock to stock

A tune will wake it up and will be basically safe.

explodingGTI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTI
I think it turns it off as well, it's difficult to tell if anything is being piped at all in on Normal, engine is reasonably quiet.

You're absolutely right about the LSD and the likelihood of the tires breaking loose being less with the Si. I've thought about this a lot too over the last couple of days. After some driving today I don't believe the LSD is what's preventing them from breaking, it's lack of torque. Even in the rain earlier this evening I had a hard time spinning the tires in second.
Can't wait for the tunes to be available soon, with all of the advantages of this Si vs the previous hatch, I like to have that torque on demand like it was with the previous generation.
Not to put Honda down, I've owned everything from thier lawnmowers, to 2 stroke dirt bikes and thier VTEC preludes, civics. But - this car needs more torque to support the Si badge. It's a shame we need to risk voiding warranty coverage for something they could have easily done from the factory.
I think I drove in the same rain as you, I got it to spin a little in 2nd. My GTI is actually hilarious in the rain, spinning at WOT, cannot put power down and torque steer. Forces me to drive more carefully. With the Si I can keep flooring it, car continues to put power down and go where I want, it's like car is on rails. But this is obviously because there's way less HP/torque. So, we sacrifice power for handling. I actually did some round-abouts in the wet yesterday, the handling is incredible. My GTI would quickly start to understeer, the Si does not.

How does auto start/stop work with a manual though? When you put it in neutral at a stop, I assume it shuts off. But when does it turn back on? Is it once you put it into first (before hitting the gas), or does it turn back on as you hit the gas?
When you press the clutch in, the engine comes back on. It's very fast, I haven't had the chance to put the shifter into gear yet, but the engine is already on. There's no ambiguity whether or not you stalled.

What about "individual" mode? Do you hear piped in engine sound? Or can you shut it off there?
I'm going to experiment with individual mode today, will report back. You cannot customize the piped in sound anywhere, there are no menu options in Individual.

20ABM06MT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
My bone stock 10th gen will easily spin 2nd gear in the wet - I had chalked that up to the oem tires :) would certainly be interesting to drive 10th/11th gen Si’s back to back.

looking forward to the embargo on reviews being lifted. I think Honda missed out not lifting before the holiday- lots of eyeballs online this week…

fabrizzio71

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe White Orchid Pearl
Yeah, in a straight line, an LSD won’t do much to prevent spinning if there is enough torque and equal traction on both sides. Glad to hear your feedback about the driving experience. Sounds like a fun car, and curious about the revving faster on top end, wonder how much of that is the lighter flywheel. Can’t wait to see what a tune does.
Sponsored