• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Questions for built FL5 owners

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
Thats not bad actually! I just want a mid level build but don’t have the skills To pull mine and don’t know any shops that Id trust to do it locally although I think there is a good shop in Wiscy. Ive heard that once its pulled the car is never really the same too. In your experience how much is it to pull one and put it back in?
Its a lot of work! And not easy by any means. It really depends on the access you have for tools. Where are you located?
Sponsored

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
@Spec C just confirmed that Hondata was able to implement a ignition based traction control for the bosch ECU so no traction issues with more power you are good to go in that sense. Now you would just have to choose a powerband that works for you depending on the turbo.

OP
OP

Spec C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rs3 x3m C
@Spec C just confirmed that Hondata was able to implement a ignition based traction control for the bosch ECU so no traction issues with more power you are good to go in that sense. Now you would just have to choose a powerband that works for you depending on the turbo.
Great info. Thanks. Hopefully we start to see more upgraded turbo fl5s in the coming months.

Azkyrie

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Integra Type S
Hey all, looking at possibly grabbing an FL5 or DE5 here shortly and just had some questions for those who’ve driven/own these cars above 400+ whp.

I’m mainly looking to build a street car I can just have some fun with, without completely ruining the driving dynamics. Probably mostly do rolls from say 30-60 start speed.

I have other dct/awd cars so just looking for something fun and manual.

1. where do you think the limit is hp/tq wise where the car becomes unusable with regards to traction on street tires?

2. what would be some of the best shops to look at to do a build like this? I’d potentially just want to build the engine up front to have the peace of mind.

3. Any of you regret going as far as you did and enjoyed the car at fbo level more?

4. what sort of trap speeds or 60-1are you seeing with 400,450,500whp?

thanks
DE5 driver here. Chiming in because I feel CTR and ITS are essentially brothers bringing the Honda/Acura brands back to the forefront. If you’re looking for a fun car, both of these care are extremely fun right out of the box, stock. There’s many cars out there with similar HP/Torque or perhaps more but do not have the thrill and connected to the car fun on the pavement feel and excellent shifting.

take any of these vehicles on a twisty road you’re bound to have a blast. That said, you can build the K20C1/C8 engines in so many ways. Perhaps for stock 450HP/400ftlb could be a soft limit before you’re worried about rods or stock parts taking the abuse.

you can continually increase power beyond that but you’ll have to upgrade everything else to retain the handling feel, traction and reliability Honda always has. Maximizing horsepower to go in a straight line isn’t what they’re optimized for. Can be done if that’s how you enjoy cars. Keep in mind Honda went with a smaller turbo from type R fk8 to FL5 with faster turbo spool and better response and handling out of corners. Low end to midrange is where it’s fun part of daily driving. Go with big turbos and you’ll sacrifice that.

CTR and ITS isn’t just about going really fast but it’s about the journey from 1st gear to 6th gear. Achieving reasonable power gains while enhancing handling and feel while maintaining long term reliability would be my goal for the DE5

OP
OP

Spec C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rs3 x3m C
DE5 driver here. Chiming in because I feel CTR and ITS are essentially brothers bringing the Honda/Acura brands back to the forefront. If you’re looking for a fun car, both of these care are extremely fun right out of the box, stock. There’s many cars out there with similar HP/Torque or perhaps more but do not have the thrill and connected to the car fun on the pavement feel and excellent shifting.

take any of these vehicles on a twisty road you’re bound to have a blast. That said, you can build the K20C1/C8 engines in so many ways. Perhaps for stock 450HP/400ftlb could be a soft limit before you’re worried about rods or stock parts taking the abuse.

you can continually increase power beyond that but you’ll have to upgrade everything else to retain the handling feel, traction and reliability Honda always has. Maximizing horsepower to go in a straight line isn’t what they’re optimized for. Can be done if that’s how you enjoy cars. Keep in mind Honda went with a smaller turbo from type R fk8 to FL5 with faster turbo spool and better response and handling out of corners. Low end to midrange is where it’s fun part of daily driving. Go with big turbos and you’ll sacrifice that.

CTR and ITS isn’t just about going really fast but it’s about the journey from 1st gear to 6th gear. Achieving reasonable power gains while enhancing handling and feel while maintaining long term reliability would be my goal for the DE5
Actually bought a DE5 this morning 🙌. Told myself whichever I found first fl5 or de5 I’d snag.

Now I just need the tuning to be available and I’ll get rolling.

So far really like it

ABPDE5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type-S
Actually bought a DE5 this morning 🙌. Told myself whichever I found first fl5 or de5 I’d snag.

So far really like it
Nice!

what color combo?

CTRifecta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Congrats on the car, that color combo is really nice.

Enjoy the car stock for a while before modding it, it's def fun in stock form!

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

So far really like it
Lol cool dude congrats! Post pictures.

superporpoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5, 2023 RS3

So far really like it
As someone who owns an 8Y RS3 and is interested in both the GRC and FL5 (but more realistically DE5)... would love any thoughts you have comparing the three cars. Do you still have the RS3 and GRC?
Sponsored