• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Reverse camera shows incorrect distance

urbo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
I noticed that the reverse camera is not displaying distance correctly in my new CTR. When I can see my bumper almost touching an object (garage door, parking line, etc.), in reality, it's about 1ft away. I've never seen this on any car with a reverse camera, so is it a CTR thing, or is there something wrong with mine?
Sponsored

Xchax3

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBP '23 Civic Type R #711
I noticed that the reverse camera is not displaying distance correctly in my new CTR. When I can see my bumper almost touching an object (garage door, parking line, etc.), in reality, it's about 1ft away. I've never seen this on any car with a reverse camera, so is it a CTR thing, or is there something wrong with mine?
First time I get to use this emoji thing:
:postpics:

Show us what's up. Probaby just a safe tolerance or buffer of space on the display.

Last edited:
OP
OP
urbo73

urbo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
I'll take photo tomorrow, but it's straightforward without a photo I hope. When you see your bumper close to an object, like almost touching it on the screen, but in real life it's about 1ft away, something is not right. Unless Honda cameras error on the side of caution and leave about 1ft in reality. My last car was a M340i. Before that, all cars with cameras were correct.

GRanola

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR Corolla
Iā€™m guessing itā€™s a safety thing. They would rather have someone stop early because they think itā€™s closer than it is in the rear view. I noticed this a lot when I used to valet. To me in the car I was on top of what I was backing up against but when I got out I still had a decent chunk of distance.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
I believe this to be standard. Every vehicle I've owned with a backup camera, the view was always conservative, which is what you want. It always looks close on screen and then when you get out and look, it's not as close as you believed from looking at the screen in the car. The same goes for proximity sensors. As you approach an object the speed at which the audible tone increases until it's a steady tone, which means to stop or you will impact the object. Same as the camera view, when you get out to look, you're a good 6"-8" away. The margin for error is baked in to prevent property damage.

OP
OP
urbo73

urbo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
Interesting. In my M340i, it's pretty much 1-2". And in my prior M3 it was the same. I guess it's normal, so I'm not going to worry. Still, it does defeat a bit the purpose of the camera and grid lines. According to Honda, the dotted line (----) represents 19" of distance. So then the distance on screen between the ----- and the actual bumper is about 12" or so. I suppose Hondas error on the side of caution a bit more than my BMWs. As long as my camera is the same as everyone else's here, then no worries.

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000, Nissan Skyline R33 GTR
The reversing camera on my M440i is higher quality and more useful for judging distance etc than the one on the CTR.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
The reversing camera on my M440i is higher quality and more useful for judging distance etc than the one on the CTR.
Yeah, the backup camera quality on the FL5 is poor. It's reminiscent of backup camera quality in the early days of this technology, circa 2005.

ScumbagRob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
Yeah, kinda embarrassing that such a nice car has such a crappy back-up camera.

Is there any way to replace it with a nicer one?

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Maybe the Acura ITS parts catalog will have a nice drop-in replacement for our FL5ā€™s camera? Hellā€¦kinda wondering if the base Acura Teg camera is mo betta than what we have in our cars.šŸ¤”

First Name
Hong
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
I don't use backup cameras even they come with the car, so I can't tell you.
I turn my head, borh ways and judge it myself. Get out of the car if I have to. Never had an issue. I grow up without these gadgets.

Phil Devtec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Sierra Denali/'22 Yukon Denali/'22 X5/'23 FL5
Definitely cant compare Hondas cameras with BMWs. The camera/screen I had in my X7 was nicer quality than the TV in my basement.

But really, this is a small ass carā€¦do we really need the backup camera?

TDC50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 Type R, C7 Corvette Grand Sport, Alfa Gulia
Good thing the type R has excellent all around visibility that makes the crappy camera not an issue.

OP
OP
urbo73

urbo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
The camera is crappy compared to others, and I can also park without it. But thatā€™s not the point of the thread. I just was curious if my car behaved normally or not. I measured today. When my bumperā€™s edge shows as just touching something Iā€™m backing up against, when I get out to look, there are 12 inches of space. Seems large for a margin of safety, so I was simply curious what other FL5 owners saw, and if 12 inches is what it is, or if mine is off somehow.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Iā€™m glad the camera angle/distance is conservative. I kind of ignored it a few days ago, because I had a feeling it was a bit ā€œoffā€ especially with the fish eye view. My previous car, of nearly 14 years, didnā€™t have a back-up camera and I had never backed into anything before, except maybe a low snow drift or two. This is to say Iā€™m confident in my (un-assisted) parking skills and depth perception. Anywayā€¦so, after parking, I got out and checked to see how close the car actually was to curb. My center tail pipe was literally just 1 inch away from smashing into said curb!šŸ˜³ The lesson learned here : I will definitely not ignore the backup camera again. I was spooked enough by this near miss experience that I will always heed the cameraā€™s fish eyed help from now on.
Sponsored