• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Rollout of the FL5 and the Big Tease - Decreasing want for this car?

Timmmmmm13

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3 2014
I know this nonsense has cooled me down. I still want a type R, but the timeline keeps getting pushed back. The price and value make me want to wait, but spending an extra 17k for a bare bones blackwing is tempting.

pawnstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Unless Honda decides to make many more FL5s than the announcements so far, this car is never going to be widely available.
The factory where they're made said earlier that it can produce 480 FL5 per month, for the whole world. The product life span has been announced as 3 years. So, 480x36=17,280 cars. The US got about 60% of the FK8s produced from 2017-2021. If the FL5 is the same, that's a little over 10,000 bound for the US. Over 3 years. Around 3,500/year.
For comparison, about 22,000 Fk8s were sent to the US. The time frame was a just little over four years because it started late in 2017 and 2020 was cut way back for COVID. Still, that's a a little over 5,000/year.
How many FK8s did you ever see just sitting on a lot? I saw one.
I won't pay the crazy numbers that dealers are asking right now. That probably means I'll never own one. I'll just have to live with my 2021 FK8.
I keep reading 3-year life span for the CTR. Where has it been confirmed for the US market? Savagegeese in his video even asked Honda and they would not disclose any info on production numbers. Everything I read has been for Canada.

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
With so many factors negatively impacting the joy of obtaining a vehicle that doesn't fit a need but a want. How can it not rain on everyone's parade?

We all arrived at this forum with high hopes and expectations of this car. I want an excellent driver's car to keep forever. This is the only vehicle I think I would want to do that with. If I get another vehicle it will be a hot hatch. I'm not considering blackwings or the like. Perhaps a 2024 Golf R if they make it in a manual transmission or an Integra Type S depending on what it comes together as.

I am patient, but not infinitely so.

Last edited:

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack
Its 80k OTD for a heavy beaver toothed beemer. Really?
Bruh, nobody is stopping you from dropping a similar amount on the Type R. Because that’s what it will be at the end of the day… $70-80k OTD, give or take.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
I wouldn't mind a golf r when the buttons come back in the refresh but vw seems to be struggling with the R. Mk7 golf R sold like hotcakes, they're everywhere in dc.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Bruh, nobody is stopping you from dropping a similar amount on the Type R. Because that’s what it will be at the end of the day… $70-80k OTD, give or take.

waaay less than that and with goodies!!! Brah

teggyluv

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 EG8, 23 FL5
With so many factors negatively impacting the joy of obtaining a vehicle that doesn't fit a need but a want. How can it not rain on everyone's parade?

We all arrived at this forum with high hopes and expectations of this car. I want an excellent driver's car to keep forever. This is the only vehicle I think I would want to do that with. If I get another vehicle it will be a hot hatch. I'm not considering blackings or the like. Perhaps a 2024 Golf R if they make it in a manual transmission or an Integra Type S depending on what it comes together as.

I am patient, but not infinitely so.
Because there’s a parade of people actually obtaining the vehicle and it’s not raining on them

If anything the fact that it’s been like this makes it a bit more sweet for those who do end up with one, overpaid or not.

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Because there’s a parade of people actually obtaining the vehicle and it’s not raining on them

If anything the fact that it’s been like this makes it a bit more sweet for those who do end up with one, overpaid or not.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI

Id rather spend money on trips and experience over a car. Shrug. People that pay 1k a month for a car is just nuts. You really dont get a vastly better car for more money.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
waaay less than that and with goodies!!! Brah
show me where…

Do I have to call 100 dealerships and beg them for $60k? - Because I only have to call one to get G80 at MSRP.

…and what is “waaay” less in your book? - $5k?
…and what “goodies”? - Be specific. Don’t throw blanket statements around. Let’s hear it.

Any Type R selling close to $70k will be close to $80k OTD.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
show me where…

Do I have to call 100 dealerships and beg them for $60k? - Because I only have to call one to get G80 at MSRP.

…and what is “waaay” less in your book? - $5k?
…and what “goodies”? - Be specific. Don’t throw blanket statements around. Let’s hear it.

Any Type R selling close to $70k will be close to $80k OTD.
Dayum - undies in a bunch? Local dealer in Minnesota and they are 12 deep on deposits - likely eating up all allocations.

My buy is captured on the how much did you pay thread.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Id rather spend money on trips and experience over a car. Shrug. People that pay 1k a month for a car is just nuts. You really dont get a vastly better car for more money.
When everybody around you is driving a new car (despite the price gouging tactics), you know something isn’t right. People are in over their heads.

The economic shitstorm that’s coming will be delinquency hell, the likes of which we haven’t seen in our lifetimes.
Sponsored