• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Shift Knob installation on FL5R

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R - SGP
beautiful looking shift knob brother and wonderful write up. I’m glad you were able to get it. It feels fantastic too, doesn’t it? The extra weight and shape of that is my favorite thing! Cheers!

Finally got this mod completed for my fl5, thanks to all the info and videos provided by elusiveaura and others in this thread. I just wanted to piggyback on what you've said about the install, and give a more in-depth description of my own experience installing the Raceseng shift knob with the threaded adapter. I'll try to give as much detail as possible. It was a two day long project, while running around from Home Depot(which closed 1 minute before I got there that night lol), on to Home Depot again the next morning, only to find they didn't have the correct metric screws that I needed. I was then off to Lowes after that, and they finally had the right size screws to get the work done. I chose to keep the stock collar as I felt that it gave it a more retro look, similar to the leather shift knobs from 80's Sports cars, like the Toyota Supras back in the day. Just my preference.
IMG_3077.jpeg

IMG_3082.jpeg

1. For those unfortunate enough to not be able to push the boot collar down(like my situation), you'll have to pry open the gray/silver console cover off with plastic tools to keep the part from being damaged. Next you'll cut off the white low profile zip tie holding the leather shift boot to the collar. Make sure to purchase a "low profile" similar sized zip tie, as the regular ones create a noticeable lump at the collar once you re-zip the boot to the collar. I had to do this all over again because of that issue. You can get them at O'Reilly's, or other automotive parts suppliers.
IMG_3087.jpeg

2. At this point, you will have complete access to the collar. I may have over complicated this part of the process, but I had to loosen it with a small Allen tool that I heated on an open flame, bent the very tip of it, and pried the collar coupler open to get it loosened and it slid down. I recommend setting the collar retention screw that requires a 14mm wrench to its lowest point, so as to have the shortest height for the aftermarket shift knob.

IMG_3099.jpeg

IMG_3106.jpeg

3. After getting a small assortment of machined screws from Lowes(I love that place lol), and testing which length screw worked best for my application. I chose a M6-1.00 X 30 Flat Head machined Metric screw, it's a quality item. It was perfect for the height that I wanted, while still keeping the stock collar snug without unnecessary pressure on the plastic piece.
IMG_3120.jpeg

4. Finally, do yourself a favor and mark the top of the screw for reference, it'll help greatly in making the final adjustment to get the shift knob tight and lined up correctly. I set the screw to stick out by 1.5mm from the threaded adapter to the top of the screw. My OCD wouldn't let me do it any other way. lol
IMG_3163.jpeg

IMG_3168.jpeg

I love the look and feel of the Raceseng shift knob! Quality product, with a nicely machined top surface, and retro perforated leather styling.
IMG_3175.jpeg

IMG_3174.jpeg

IMG_3197.jpeg

Hope this helps
Sponsored

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
Honestly muscling off the OEM knob is the "best" method, once you've done that the boot just lifts off - saves you from having to snip & replace the zip tie. Regardless this is way more painful than it needs to be!

Oneday

First Name
Florencio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rallye Red CTR
beautiful looking shift knob brother and wonderful write up. I’m glad you were able to get it. It feels fantastic too, doesn’t it? The extra weight and shape of that is my favorite thing! Cheers!
Thanks Brother! The extra weight, feel and look are awesome! Definitely worth the effort. :thumbsup:

captainscott60

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
Once again, thanks for the help. I saw what you meant by the curved lever blocking the boot collar. Got a slightly longer screw and fixed the problem.

So here's the final product

PXL_20230328_205345011.jpg
That is very cool. May I bother you to how much it cost and where did you buy it ? I like it better then the Red OEM shift knob you can buy from any Honda dealer

Daycork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
That is very cool. May I bother you to how much it cost and where did you buy it ? I like it better then the Red OEM shift knob you can buy from any Honda dealer
It cost about $230 total for the shift knob and boot collar. Made by a company called Raceseng, I've got all my aftermarket shift knobs from them. This particular knob is the Sphereology.

blayed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 SGP FL5. 2020 Civic Type R (RIP)
To anyone still having problems removing their shift boot collars, this did the trick for me (timestamped link)

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
The crazy part to me is once you have popped it off once it's easy to do again.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5
Man the FK8 for some reason was way easier to get the collar off lol. The FL5 was a pain...put on a Mugen shift knob on...yes, a real one 😂. I tested out the knock off and could tell it was definitely a knock off 😣

11th Gen Honda Civic Shift Knob installation on FL5R PXL_20231125_005209721

Bonito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Man the FK8 for some reason was way easier to get the collar off lol. The FL5 was a pain...put on a Mugen shift knob on...yes, a real one 😂. I tested out the knock off and could tell it was definitely a knock off 😣

PXL_20231125_005209721.jpg
Looking good! I'm running the same knob (ordered from Nengun) and I love it. On occasion I get tempted to run an Acuity Poco because I think it'd be even shorter but the Mugen feels so nice!

Clutch

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, CW
Another video:

I ended up using a flathead screwdriver on the tabs. Even small replacement zipties, if they're not low profile, will create a little bump. But i moved them close to the stitching.

Careful that you don't pull up the whole center console trim with the light gray trim. That's a little bit harder to get back in place 😅

spectre186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Camry, 23 Civic Type R
11th Gen Honda Civic Shift Knob installation on FL5R IMG_1634
Thanks for the great gouge on getting this installed. I messed up and got the adapter stuck in the knob. But I put blue locktite on the shift lever, let it set and was able to separate the 2. Other than that, pretty straightforward.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5
IMG_1634.jpeg
Thanks for the great gouge on getting this installed. I messed up and got the adapter stuck in the knob. But I put blue locktite on the shift lever, let it set and was able to separate the 2. Other than that, pretty straightforward.
Looks good...assuming that's suede?

Chilly613

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL1 Civic Sport Touring 6MT
Build Thread
Link
IMG_1634.jpeg
I really like that shift knob from Raceseng. A bunch of the 11th Gen Civic press materials for the release was showing a similar shift knob. Sadly it never came.
Sponsored