• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sound System Upgrade

Miami_TypeR

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
I'm liking the Bose sound system the Type R comes with but think it could use some improvement. Does anyone have any recommendations on making the sound system sound better?
Sponsored

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
Trade it in for a ITS 😂

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
CDT 2ohm driver replacement in the doors, better tweeters of your preference.

That's the cheapest & easiest IMO and what I'll do eventually - the Bose system is fine at moderate volume but these will give a bit more overhead and sound much better IME (I did this upgrade in my ND Miata) even without replacing amplification. Anything else and the price and complexity of the install rapidly goes up.

urbo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
I think the problem is not the sound system, but that the car is less insulated from noise - less NVH. Put the same Bose system in a car with more NVH (Acura for example or base Civic), and it will sound better. So I do think that it would be hard to have great sound in this car - it's meant to be "noisy".

OP
OP

Miami_TypeR

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
CDT 2ohm driver replacement in the doors, better tweeters of your preference.

That's the cheapest & easiest IMO and what I'll do eventually - the Bose system is fine at moderate volume but these will give a bit more overhead and sound much better IME (I did this upgrade in my ND Miata) even without replacing amplification. Anything else and the price and complexity of the install rapidly goes up.
Do you know what size they would need to be? Also any write ups or videos on how to install them? Or better just take them to a shop?

Chilly613

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL1 Civic Sport Touring 6MT
Build Thread
Link
Do you know what size they would need to be? Also any write ups or videos on how to install them? Or better just take them to a shop?
This is the closest I can find regarding the Bose system and the speaker sizes. Sport Touring and Type R should have close to the same setup, obviously the rear will be different because of the hatch.

11th Gen Honda Civic Sound System Upgrade 1684956145620

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
6.5" for the doors, 1" tweeters - that diagram is basically the same as our car except the sub location is different. There is another thread where we got into it a bit more and listed some suggested parts.

Difficulty? Door speakers are like a 1/5, tweeters can be a little bit more if you need to fiddle with housings 2/5. You're just swapping stuff out, with a little research you can find plug & play harnesses so there is no splicing/replacing connectors.

OP
OP

Miami_TypeR

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
6.5" for the doors, 1" tweeters - that diagram is basically the same as our car except the sub location is different. There is another thread where we got into it a bit more and listed some suggested parts.

Difficulty? Door speakers are like a 1/5, tweeters can be a little bit more if you need to fiddle with housings 2/5. You're just swapping stuff out, with a little research you can find plug & play harnesses so there is no splicing/replacing connectors.
Any brands you recommend for the speakers and tweeters?

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
As stated above - CDT 2ohm speakers. Tweeters can be your preference, I used JLs last time in a .75", for the CTR I'd probably just use CDTs 1" silk dome. Look for the previous thread for more discussion.

OP
OP

Miami_TypeR

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
As stated above - CDT 2ohm speakers. Tweeters can be your preference, I used JLs last time in a .75", for the CTR I'd probably just use CDTs 1" silk dome. Look for the previous thread for more discussion.
Thanks, just found the thread.

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177