• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

jdOTFL5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR #0995 CBP
ordered a set of bonoss spacers from ebay. about 5 days ago, and they already delivered.. order 15mm they msged me saying that the 15mm may require me to cut the oem studs but seeing as everyone on the forum has no issue with the 15mm ones I went with them instead of the recommended 20mm from the seller.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
ordered a set of bonoss spacers from ebay. about 5 days ago, and they already delivered.. order 15mm they msged me saying that the 15mm may require me to cut the oem studs but seeing as everyone on the forum has no issue with the 15mm ones I went with them instead of the recommended 20mm from the seller.
I can personally attest that spacers ≤ 18mm do not require cutting the OEM studs. FYI - I'm running 15mm in the front and 18mm in the rear. A few others have reported they are running 20mm with no modifications necessary; however, I cannot personally confirm.

The hyper aggressive imagery they sent over (see below) had me concerned for a minute but I decided to just go for it:eek:. No issues whatsoever and no cutting required.

Please post pics once you get everything installed.
11th Gen Honda Civic The FL5 Civic Type R Wheel Spacer Reference Thread CatchBC06

jdOTFL5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR #0995 CBP
I can personally attest that spacers ≤ 18mm do not require cutting the OEM studs. FYI - I'm running 15mm in the front and 18mm in the rear. A few others have reported they are running 20mm with no modifications necessary; however, I cannot personally confirm.

The hyper aggressive imagery they sent over (see below) had me concerned for a minute but I decided to just go for it:eek:. No issues whatsoever and no cutting required.

CatchBC06.jpg
will report back once i get my wheel setup done.. may take a few weeks because i am waiting for my spoon springs

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: K20Z1 EK Civic, Golf R Mk7.5, B8 RS4
Build Thread
Link

CatchBC06.jpg
The thicker the spacer the lower the chance of the OEM studs contacting the back of the wheel.

So if you can make it with 15mm then 20mm is guaranteed (on the OEM wheels).

charlesca

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R. 2017 Acura NSX.
FYI

I have the FL5 forged rims and the bonoss 15mm spacers without extra studs do not work. They do not allow enough of the wheel stud for the lug nut to bite onto. Bonoss warned me to buy the spacers with extended studs. The good thing is there is a deep enough pocket in the back of the rim so I won't have to cut the stock wheel studs.

11th Gen Honda Civic The FL5 Civic Type R Wheel Spacer Reference Thread IMG_6858

jdOTFL5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR #0995 CBP
FYI

I have the FL5 forged rims and the bonoss 15mm spacers without extra studs do not work. They do not allow enough of the wheel stud for the lug nut to bite onto. Bonoss warned me to buy the spacers with extended studs. The good thing is there is a deep enough pocket in the back of the rim so I won't have to cut the stock wheel studs.

IMG_6858.jpeg
good to know, they seem to work fine with the stock wheels that come. I',m still waiting for my stock wheels to be finished powdercoating so i'll post my set up soon.. my spoon springs still havent arrived yet either so also waiting on that

OP
OP
Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
FYI

IMG_6858.jpeg
I presume the offset is different than the wheels that come standard on the Type R. While I have not seen the OEM forged wheel in person, the photos I've seen online lead me to believe the offset is much closer to +45 than the stock wheels.

charlesca

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I presume the offset is different than the wheels that come standard on the Type R. While I have not seen the OEM forged wheel in person, the photos I've seen online lead me to believe the offset is much closer to +45 than the stock wheels.
I wish this wasn't so complicated. I was looking forward to wheel spacers being installed today!

From Dr Google... the OEM forged rims are part number: 08W19-T60-100
Size: 19 x 9.5"
Offset: ET60
Weight: 9.675kg
5x120 PCD

OP
OP
Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
I wish this wasn't so complicated. I was looking forward to wheel spacers being installed today!

From Dr Google... the OEM forged rims are part number: 08W19-T60-100
Size: 19 x 9.5"
Offset: ET60
Weight: 9.675kg
5x120 PCD
Yeah, I understand. You should be able to sell them rather quickly on the forums.

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
FYI

IMG_6858.jpeg
These are 15mm slip on spacers that don't have studs themselves? Of course that wasn't going to work! It wouldn't have worked on any rims, oem, oem forged, or any other..

By the way - on an M14x1.5 stud you need at least 9.33 turns of the nut to achieve a 14x14mm square thread engagement.

Torque to 127NM (94ftlbs) - do a short drive to warm things up and retorque, if its a bolt on spacer that means removing the wheel. You'll notice every time you do this, the torque wrench WILL move before it clicks which means the studs have stretched and/or the wheel nuts have seated/moved. Crucial.

Last edited:

charlesca

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
These are 15mm slip on spacers that don't have studs themselves? Of course that wasn't going to work! It wouldn't have worked on any rims, oem, oem forged, or any other..

By the way - on an M14x1.5 stud you need at least 9.33 turns of the nut to achieve a 14x14mm square thread engagement.

Torque to 127NM (94ftlbs) - do a short drive to warm things up and retorque, if its a bolt on spacer that means removing the wheel. You'll notice every time you do this, the torque wrench WILL move before it clicks which means the studs have stretched and/or the wheel nuts have seated/moved. Crucial.
Unless I'm missing something, the first two of three people who posted their pictures on page 1 used stock studs?

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Unless I'm missing something, the first two of three people who posted their pictures on page 1 used stock studs?
11th Gen Honda Civic The FL5 Civic Type R Wheel Spacer Reference Thread 1686871959653

That is correct - the stock studs on the oem hub remains, the spacer is secured to these studs using the supplied low profile nuts. The wheel is then positioned over the studs attached to the spacer and secured using the OEM wheel nuts. The correct spacer is the one above - which is commonly referred to as a "bolt-on" spacer.

The spacer below (which is what I suspect you have tried to fit) is considered a "slip-on" spacer and will not work with the oem studs - the oem studs will need to be removed and extended ones fitted (the extension of which needs to match the thickness of the spacer). Additionally, the extended studs need to be M14x1.5 matching the OEM thread diameter and pitch.

11th Gen Honda Civic The FL5 Civic Type R Wheel Spacer Reference Thread 1686872137601

OP
OP
Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
1686871959653.png

That is correct - the stock studs on the oem hub remains, the spacer is secured to these studs using the supplied low profile nuts. The wheel is then positioned over the studs attached to the spacer and secured using the OEM wheel nuts. The correct spacer is the one above - which is commonly referred to as a "bolt-on" spacer.

The spacer below (which is what I suspect you have tried to fit) is considered a "slip-on" spacer and will not work with the oem studs - the oem studs will need to be removed and extended ones fitted (the extension of which needs to match the thickness of the spacer). Additionally, the extended studs need to be M14x1.5 matching the OEM thread diameter and pitch.

1686872137601.png
This is right on. I completely misread the first post by @charlesca . My apologies. The Bonoss spacer I used with success, can be found here. These spacers include the appropriate hardware.

I would also recommend measuring the fender gap to acheive the desired results. Do not assume xx mm spacer will suit your needs based on online photos or word of mouth. The definition of "flush fitment" is ambiguous at best. There are several methods to measure the fender gap to inform the size spacer you will need. The below illustration is one of many ways you can measure the gap. Measure twice (or three, four, or five times), buy once! ;)

11th Gen Honda Civic The FL5 Civic Type R Wheel Spacer Reference Thread perrin-performance-per-psp-whl-020bk-11992560959558

ZeroGSR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type S
For those with spacers, especially 15mm front, are you getting any spray on the side of your car? I loved the look on my previous car, but it only looked good until I hit a puddle or it rained and the side of my car became a mess...
Sponsored