• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

"The Search".. not what i expected.

SKINNIE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ISF, 23' BB FL5
Why is it so hard for you Cali people to buy out of state if you really want the car but then don't wanna pay a markup? lol

Buy out of state for MSRP and have it shipped from $1k-$1.5k. 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored

OP
OP
dminus

dminus

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Clarity
Why is it so hard for you Cali people to buy out of state if you really want the car but then don't wanna pay a markup? lol

there are actually a few reasons why buying it out of state is not ideal. 1 - 1.5k in transport is still a lot of money. so buying one in california for 1-1.5k over msrp would make more sense. also, i've been told by a dealership in texas that they don't really care much for buyers from out of state but maybe that was just that dealership since it seems like everyone in california got their cars out of state. haha. also things could happen during transport, a innocent rock could jump up and bite her in the ass. things like that. but for sure, buying out of state is still a better option that buying on here for 10k over. hahaha.

menikmati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX STI, BRZ, FL5

That's what I did, paid extra for enclosed transport but it was delivered in the exact same condition as it left the dealership and delivered within a week.

SKINNIE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ISF, 23' BB FL5
there are actually a few reasons why buying it out of state is not ideal. 1 - 1.5k in transport is still a lot of money. so buying one in california for 1-1.5k over msrp would make more sense. also, i've been told by a dealership in texas that they don't really care much for buyers from out of state but maybe that was just that dealership since it seems like everyone in california got their cars out of state. haha. also things could happen during transport, a innocent rock could jump up and bite her in the ass. things like that. but for sure, buying out of state is still a better option that buying on here for 10k over. hahaha.
Yea I get what you're saying. If you can find one near for that much. I'd do the same thing.

Sooner1

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR BB, 2015 Audi A3, 2023 CRV Touring Hybrid
Or, don't pay a transport fee and fly out and drive it home. That's what I did.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
@SKINNIE is spot on. I'm often blown away that people are at their wit's end to find a car in CA for a "fair" price, but are diametrically opposed to buying out of state. I don't follow the logic.

The reasons you listed above aren't real reasons. This sounds like self-sabotage more than anything. It would be ideal to buy one in California for $1K - $1.5K, but which dealerships are consistently selling for such a low markup? I think you know the answer or you wouldn't have started a thread asking for help. And shipping doesn't have to be $1,500. It can also be $700, which is what I paid to ship my car 1,200 miles. It depends on where the vehicle is coming from, time of the year, type of transport, and other factors. Or it could be a lot less if you drive it back.

Last edited:

Fanatic

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Civic Type R and many more...
Sometimes you have to pay to play. Good luck with the MSRP deal. Anything is possible with some diligence and patience.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Yeah some dealerships don’t want to sell to non-locals because they lose all potential to continue to make money from servicing the car. This might be more important to smaller dealerships than the big ones, but you never know. Some of the small town dealerships may be sitting on a car because there’s so few local buyers for this kind of car. You just have to do your homework. There’s no easy way about it.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Yeah some dealerships don’t want to sell to non-locals because they lose all potential to continue to make money from servicing the car. This might be more important to smaller dealerships than the big ones, but you never know. Some of the small town dealerships may be sitting on a car because there’s so few local buyers for this kind of car. You just have to do your homework. There’s no easy way about it.
That's true, but I wouldn't dissuade anyone from calling on out of area dealerships for that reason. In my experience contacting many dealerships it was less than 10% who weren't willing to sell out of area.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
That's true, but I wouldn't dissuade anyone from calling on out of area dealerships for that reason. In my experience contacting many dealerships it was less than 10% who weren't willing to sell out of area.
Sorry if I wasn’t clear. I’m definitely not trying to dissuade. I’m just saying it can be VERY hit or miss. All dealerships will have different “policies” as well as circumstances about selling cars non-locally. That’s why it boils down to just doing your homework. Calling a couple of dealerships in TX and getting turned down is not what I’d consider doing homework.

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2024 Civic Type R

It's because we have a pretty big crowd who are into cars want to buy the Type R. Can't fault us for that. It's basic supply and demand, unfortunately. :(

HOWEVER, there are good deals to be had. Don't give up! When I was hit with a bunch of BS accessories, I basically looked at the paper with the list of crap and said, "Okay, there are a lot of dealbreakers on here." The sales manager took my requirement of zero accessories and indeed gave me a decent deal without them. I was completely expecting and prepared to walk out of there and I didn't even bother bringing my checkbook.

Not all dealers are willing to remove the accessories. One salesperson said she simply wasn't allowed to remove them and that was that. So that was one dealer off the list for me.

Stan23

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 FL5, 2002 AP1 S2000
@SKINNIE is spot on. I'm often blown away that people are at their wit's end to find a car in CA for a "fair" price, but are diametrically opposed to buying out of state. I don't follow the logic.

The reasons you listed above aren't real reasons. This sounds like self-sabotage more than anything. It would be ideal to buy one in California for $1K - $1.5K, but which dealerships are consistently selling for such a low markup? I think you know the answer or you wouldn't have started a thread asking for help. And shipping doesn't have to be $1,500. It can also be $700, which is what I paid to ship my car 1,200 miles. It depends on where the vehicle is coming from, time of the year, type of transport, and other factors. Or it could be a lot less if you drive it back.
What people don't understand about CA is that we don't really neighbor states where you an find the car cheaper/msrp. Shipping to/from CA is also more expensive because of location - we're on one side of the coast, unlike KS which is closer to middle of the country--which can be a stop gap for carriers.

The whole fly and drive thing is also an issue; if you live in any metro area in CA, you're pretty far from any neighboring state that may want to sell MSRP. I've seen tons of deals in TX. That's a 1,700+ mile drive back to any metropolitan area in CA. I get that some may see that as fun, but to me, thats a 2+ day drive with hotel, wear and tear, etc..

Bbfl5

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fl5 type r
well over the phone i got 3k over. some sales man have said to come and and we could negotiate further but i've been told that once you go in, they hit you with accessories and other things you don't want on the car. i did visit hardin honda in anaheim, they just got a CW a couple days ago. they were at 10k and wouldn't budge. they wanted me to come up to meet them but i declined. so yeah, 3k over the phone, and possibly a little more in person.
I bought fl5 last month. My first email was told 20k over. Then I made a phone call and got them to go to 5k over. Wasn't about to pay that so I went down to the dealership.
Once there sat with the salesman for 20 minutes. Literally got msrp plus doc fee.
Don't hesitate to hammer them on getting a deal worked.

OP
OP
dminus

dminus

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Clarity
That's what I did, paid extra for enclosed transport but it was delivered in the exact same condition as it left the dealership and delivered within a week.
that's crazy.. enclosed sounds enticing, how much was it if you don't mind me asking from where to where? thanks for your insight on this matter.
Sponsored