• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Things we've spotted from the Type R videos

Ulti-Resis

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R GT
The UKDM didn't get the subwoofer in the FK8 so it will be interesting to see if we get it this time around.

Also it appears the JDM doesn't have the Bose audio system so again, it remains to be seen if that is an option and which countries will get it.
Sponsored

skeg808

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000, GR86
- Front bumper gill vents aren't functional but there's some directing plates from under the car to the front brakes likely on the control arm somewhere like the last gen (TheTopher)
There are brake ducts on the outside of the main front grill, can be seen in some photos and there is at least one Japanese video on youtube where the guy is able to get a shot of the outlets on the inner fender.

There is also what looks like a fake vent on the outside of the front bumper. There is a video in Japanese of the designer who explains that its actually a kind of air dam that generates a vortex and creates downforce like a canard would. The dealer handbook I looked at yesterday also had a picture of this with airflow diagrams explaining the same thing.
So while its not "cooling functional" duct it does seem to be functional.

No idea about the same things on the rear bumper. Those dont seem to have a purpose or at least there was nothing in the materials that talked about it...

One other thing I noticed that nobody seems to be talking about is the "reverse rim" design.
Basically the rim is reversed to make he rim look thinner.
Thats why it has a funky valve stem with 90 degree bend in it.
Video with development lead Kakinuma-san talking about the reverse rim

He also talks a lot about the decision to use 19" rims.
Basically they decided to go for a wider tire with more air volume and offset that with the reverse rim design.

TimeRacer

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Prelude
There are brake ducts on the outside of the main front grill, can be seen in some photos and there is at least one Japanese video on youtube where the guy is able to get a shot of the outlets on the inner fender.

There is also what looks like a fake vent on the outside of the front bumper. There is a video in Japanese of the designer who explains that its actually a kind of air dam that generates a vortex and creates downforce like a canard would. The dealer handbook I looked at yesterday also had a picture of this with airflow diagrams explaining the same thing.

No idea about the same things on the rear bumper. Those dont seem to have a purpose or at least there was nothing in the materials that talked about it...

One other thing I noticed that nobody seems to be talking about is the "reverse rim" design.

Basically they decided to go for a wider tire with more air volume and offset that with the reverse rim design.
The fender ducts are functional, pretty easy to see straight through them. I'm speaking of the front bumper vertical slit 'vents'. Personally, I don't see how it can act as a canard as it's inside the body line and looks like they're angled downward and not upward. Even as a vortex generator it'll have to be the creation of the high pressure zone by the depression we see as the vertical fake vent but will tumble right into the turbulent wheel air. Usually most canards/vortex generators in this area of the bumper are designed to send air around the turbulent air of the front wheels to be effective.

I noticed the strange valve stem on the wheel but honestly I am not sure (and my Japanese is far too rusty to understand) what is implied by a reversed wheel. Most wheels have enough surface area looking straight at the hub where you can place a valve stem so it points straight toward you. It appears in this case they simply removed that surface area to make the rim section slightly flatter and in turn changed the valve stem to one that points toward the hub forcing this 90 degree bend valve stem. Hopefully this makes the wheels a tad lighter in addition to the aesthetics they were going for along with not requiring more wheel weights.

Last edited:

Ulti-Resis

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R GT
I wonder what happens with this valve stem if you have to have new valves? Are tyre shops going to have them on hand or are they going to be proprietary to Honda, meaning only Honda dealers can replace or supply them. Honda dealers couldn't even do a tyre change on the 20" FK8 wheels without tearing the wheels to bits, as they didn't have the expensive machine that Honda had insisted they must have to do it. The dealers refused to spend the money and generally farmed it out to other tyre shops or sent type-r owners away to get it done themselves.

Want to see that video in English or at least subtitled as it looks like there's a fair amount of info in there.

Last edited:

skeg808

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000, GR86
I wonder what happens with this valve stem if you have to have new valves? Are tyre shops going to have them on hand or are they going to be proprietary to Honda, meaning only Honda dealers can replace or supply them. Honda dealers couldn't even do a tyre change on the 20" FK8 wheels without tearing the wheels to bits, as they didn't have the expensive machine that Honda had insisted they must have to do it. The dealers refused to spend the money and generally farmed it out to other tyre shops or sent type-r owners away to get it done themselves.

Want to see that video in English or at least subtitled as it looks like there's a fair amount of info in there.
In Japan this type of wheel is quite popular on vans and what they call "dress up" cars so most shops like autobacs or yellow hat would have this kind of valve stem but I reckon it could be quite rare in other countries.

I wish I had the time to translate the video because he talks about a bunch of stuff.

Here are a couple of articles you can run through google translate that have similar content and interviews with the same guy:
https://www.webcg.net/articles/-/46679
https://response.jp/article/2022/07/21/359923.html

Ulti-Resis

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R GT
I doubt there are many places here in the UK that carry those valves in stock!

Thanks for the link :thumbsup:

Mmkk111

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX Type S

Back in the day when I was a tire guy, if we had interesting or strange valve stems we would just replace the inner valve assembly or reuse the old stem if it was in good condition . That could be the case here? Not sure how they remove them from the wheel, but seems like an opportunity for issues to develop if you mess with it too much 🤷🏻‍♂️ It sure looks cool however!

Ulti-Resis

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R GT
So, do we think the individual settings can be saved as the default settings that it will go to every time you get in the car? I hope that is the case so it doesn't have to be done over and over.

Ulti-Resis

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R GT
Back in the day when I was a tire guy, if we had interesting or strange valve stems we would just replace the inner valve assembly or reuse the old stem if it was in good condition . That could be the case here? Not sure how they remove them from the wheel, but seems like an opportunity for issues to develop if you mess with it too much 🤷🏻‍♂️ It sure looks cool however!
Agree, it looks nice and is unique. Just hope it isn't going to be a problem. I already had enough issues just getting replacement OEM tyres on the FK8. 8 weeks wait for a tyre! :oops::crazy:

Anybody spotted what size fuel tank it has?

Wonder if they fixed the gear grind and lock out issues etc?

Last edited:

OP
OP
giger

giger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FD2
So, do we think the individual settings can be saved as the default settings that it will go to every time you get in the car? I hope that is the case so it doesn't have to be done over and over.
One of the screenshots on the Japanese site says they are remembered and the car will start up again using them

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
I'm like 85% sure the the transmission is essentially the same as the FK8 + slightly reinforced hears for the extra 10 HP + lighter flywheel + rev matching to 1st gear.

Koyti

First Name
Koyti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None

Interesting how he also noted that they weren't focused on peak performance numbers and instead focused on the overall feel of the vehicle as well as the power curve (when asked about how much power the engine produced).

iLLNESS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 EG k20a2, 2017 Civic Touring
I don’t see why it wouldn’t work that way. That’s how the Integra’s individual settings work.
Sponsored