• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Wanted an Si, getting an Integra; thoughts vs GR86.

evanescent03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ITS, C8 Z06; great pairing
Random thoughts in my search for a vehicle in today's market.

So I briefly had an 11th gen Si earlier this year ... put some commuter miles on and as track season approached I panicked and traded it for a GR86 .. something I deemed more track worthy for some HPDE stuff. I had a 718 GT4 on order and didn't expect to get it in time for a couple of the earlier events.

The GR86 was an auto because it's all I could find. It was quite fun on the track and I was able to hang in with my friend in his 2016 Cayman S. The GR86 was fun: well balanced, quick enough, very nimble feeling. I did miss the interior appointments of the Si, namely the higher quality plastics (the GR86 scuffed and scratched if you looked at it too long). My GT4 came in and the GR86 went away.

Fast foward a few more months and I'm daily driving my 3/4 ton truck ... it's a beautiful truck but just big, cumbersome, and diesel prices are really unstable right now. I'll admit that a small/medium change in fuel prices isn't a major driving factor but operational costs are part of the equation. Diesel is almost double the price of gas and i get around 11mpg in the truck. However, a bigger point is I miss having something fun to hop in and run errands in. As nice as the truck is, it's not really fun and the GT4 is more of a nuissance to drive (especially after a couple snowfalls and <30*F temps).

I figured the CTR would be be perfect but the dealerships want $10-20k over. No thanks. Great car but not worth that to me especially because I like to move through cars and that's money that will likely not be recovered.

Decided I should go for an Si because on the street it offers 90% of the driving pleasures of a CTR ... manual, fun to rev, lightweight, easy to park in our old town where there are some small lots, kid friendly, etc.... My first Si was $2k over sticker ... annoying but tolerable. Well now places want $3-10k (ten thousand!) over sticker for an Si ... even if it's orange (i don't mind it, but i do feel like it clashes with the interior and my wife is totally against the orange/copper look, so a definite no-go).

I had been grappling with the idea of spending $3k over and waiting for an inbound Si or trying to talk someone down to $5-7k over for a CTR but I've grown tired of these games and I was looking at other options for a sensible commuter ... CR-V, Rav4, Subarus, BMW X1 (quick, fun, great cars priced decently, no manual option)...

And then it hit me ... What about the Integra? I had totally forgot about this car because when it was announced it looked like any other small Acura sedan (decent, just not inspiring) and it didn't seem to embody the Integra background. After a couple videos and calling a local dealership i discovered that they are selling them at MSRP! Sheesh. Music to my ears. Then I realized it's a hatchback which I love with kids, pets, active lifestyle. There is a Silver/black manual coming in and I put a deposit on it. It's still a few grand more than an Si but the delta is pretty small considering markups. Upgraded interior (the 3D sound system gets high praise), hatchback, lack of red interior and everything else that I loved about the Si is still there (infotainment, engine, trans/shifter).

I actually do prefer the exterior styling of the Si/grille/taillights and also i prefer the Si interior vents. If I could get an Si at sticker I'd still go that route but the dealerships have ruined it for me.

Anyways - if someone is here because they love the Si but is turned off by the ADM being charged ... check out the Integra. Still lots of love for the Si and i think that without ADM, the Si is a much better value. With ADM or trouble locating an Si, consider the hatchback cousin.

-Matt
Sponsored

citrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CZ4A, Abarth 500, ZZW30, ND2 RF
Sorry you had to bounce around so much. I hate buying/selling cars, so in your situation, I would've just stuck with the Si in the first place. Glad the Teg worked out for you!

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
I had to search around for an Si as well but found one for MSRP plus $599 tint which is marked up but oh well. Best deal around. Even the Honda store that is part of the company I work for was trying to mark me up $3k as an employee.

OP
OP
evanescent03

evanescent03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry you had to bounce around so much. I hate buying/selling cars, so in your situation, I would've just stuck with the Si in the first place. Glad the Teg worked out for you!
I have a slight car-trading illness so i don't mind it THAT much - but it is slightly more challenging in this market. Thanks!

I had to search around for an Si as well but found one for MSRP plus $599 tint which is marked up but oh well. Best deal around. Even the Honda store that is part of the company I work for was trying to mark me up $3k as an employee.
wow, your own dealership doing you dirty ... that's wild ... $599 is definitely a lot for tint but i'd consider that a win for sure with the craziness going on... I called and/or visited about 6 or 7 dealerships before giving up. Sad. Glad you found a good deal!

Bambzolbment

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si
I have a 2022 Canadian Si meaning heated seats, steering wheel, wireless charging, dimming mirrors and rev lights (worth it). I was thinking of selling Locally but realize it's worth so much more to you guys. I have a 7 year north American Honda warranty (by Honda for any Honda dealership). Message me and let's work out a deal. I can drive to Buffalo or somewhere near the border.

So I briefly had an 11th gen Si earlier this year ... put some commuter miles on and as track season approached I panicked and traded it for a GR86 .. something I deemed more track worthy for some HPDE stuff. I had a 718 GT4 on order and didn't expect to get it in time for a couple of the earlier events.

The GR86 was an auto because it's all I could find. It was quite fun on the track and I was able to hang in with my friend in his 2016 Cayman S. The GR86 was fun: well balanced, quick enough, very nimble feeling. I did miss the interior appointments of the Si, namely the higher quality plastics (the GR86 scuffed and scratched if you looked at it too long). My GT4 came in and the GR86 went away.

Fast foward a few more months and I'm daily driving my 3/4 ton truck ... it's a beautiful truck but just big, cumbersome, and diesel prices are really unstable right now. I'll admit that a small/medium change in fuel prices isn't a major driving factor but operational costs are part of the equation. Diesel is almost double the price of gas and i get around 11mpg in the truck. However, a bigger point is I miss having something fun to hop in and run errands in. As nice as the truck is, it's not really fun and the GT4 is more of a nuissance to drive (especially after a couple snowfalls and <30*F temps).

I figured the CTR would be be perfect but the dealerships want $10-20k over. No thanks. Great car but not worth that to me especially because I like to move through cars and that's money that will likely not be recovered.

Decided I should go for an Si because on the street it offers 90% of the driving pleasures of a CTR ... manual, fun to rev, lightweight, easy to park in our old town where there are some small lots, kid friendly, etc.... My first Si was $2k over sticker ... annoying but tolerable. Well now places want $3-10k (ten thousand!) over sticker for an Si ... even if it's orange (i don't mind it, but i do feel like it clashes with the interior and my wife is totally against the orange/copper look, so a definite no-go).

I had been grappling with the idea of spending $3k over and waiting for an inbound Si or trying to talk someone down to $5-7k over for a CTR but I've grown tired of these games and I was looking at other options for a sensible commuter ... CR-V, Rav4, Subarus, BMW X1 (quick, fun, great cars priced decently, no manual option)...

And then it hit me ... What about the Integra? I had totally forgot about this car because when it was announced it looked like any other small Acura sedan (decent, just not inspiring) and it didn't seem to embody the Integra background. After a couple videos and calling a local dealership i discovered that they are selling them at MSRP! Sheesh. Music to my ears. Then I realized it's a hatchback which I love with kids, pets, active lifestyle. There is a Silver/black manual coming in and I put a deposit on it. It's still a few grand more than an Si but the delta is pretty small considering markups. Upgraded interior (the 3D sound system gets high praise), hatchback, lack of red interior and everything else that I loved about the Si is still there (infotainment, engine, trans/shifter).

I actually do prefer the exterior styling of the Si/grille/taillights and also i prefer the Si interior vents. If I could get an Si at sticker I'd still go that route but the dealerships have ruined it for me.

Anyways - if someone is here because they love the Si but is turned off by the ADM being charged ... check out the Integra. Still lots of love for the Si and i think that without ADM, the Si is a much better value. With ADM or trouble locating an Si, consider the hatchback cousin.

-Matt

Bambzolbment

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si
Canadian Si is Basically an Integra but cheaper šŸ˜‚

-Matt

Naija Bull

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)

-Matt
Can you describe the difference between the GR86 and Si as far as fun to drive factor?

Kyofu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3 GT

-Matt
Can you describe the difference between the GR86 and Si as far as fun to drive factor?
Just bumping this thread again cause I'm always curious to hear people's thoughts on Si vs GR86 comparisons as well, especially those who've driven/owned both.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport 6MT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
So in less than 1 year, you will have had an Si, GR86, GT4(!), and Integra? Plus a couple trucks? I'm pointing to you when my wife criticizes me for wanting to upgrade my Civic Hatch in 3 years. "Honey, I know this guy who went through 6 cars in 1 year! I don't think I'm being unreasonable here!" :p

OP
OP
evanescent03

evanescent03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[
I have a 2022 Canadian Si meaning heated seats, steering wheel, wireless charging, dimming mirrors and rev lights (worth it). I was thinking of selling Locally but realize it's worth so much more to you guys. I have a 7 year north American Honda warranty (by Honda for any Honda dealership). Message me and let's work out a deal. I can drive to Buffalo or somewhere near the border.
thanks for the offer but not interested! Got the integra incoming! Good luck finding a buyer thiugh

sure!

Just bumping this thread again cause I'm always curious to hear people's thoughts on Si vs GR86 comparisons as well, especially those who've driven/owned both.
yep!

as someone mentioned below about them being different animals, Iā€™d say thatā€™s true-ish. They definitely have some important similarities and differencesā€¦

The biggest differences are obvious but important ā€¦ they may or may not matter to every individual:

2 vs 4 door
RWD/FWD
NA vs Turbo
Sit lower in GR and makes it feel more like a ā€œsports carā€
GR has auto option
GR has much more track ā€œpedigreeā€ and no shortage of brake pads etc
GR has cumbersome infotainment and junky audio system
Si has much better infotainment and audio system (Iā€™m no audiophile but definitely appreciate ā€œgoodā€ quality.. GR was terrible)
Red seats in the Si are polarizing (wife hated them) vs the neutral GR seats

similarities:
Speed: I donā€™t even know the 0-60 or HP stats off the top of my head but they are similar in terms of speed in the street ā€¦ not fast but quick enough to be fun .. GR felt very slow on track digging out of turns or going uphill in comparison to my SS1LE (450ish hp/tq). Both engines were livelyā€¦ the GR and Si have different power delivery but I donā€™t remember either being much better/worse.

weight: again, not sure stats but they both felt lightweight

Handling: Both changed directions well but GR felt a little tighter/more planted ā€¦ but both were really fun on the road. GR was well balanced on the track but I never took the Si on track so cannot comment in that.

Fuel economy similar but I think the Si was bit better. Both had small tanks iirc so still had to fill up frequently but it was cheap (in comparison to a 3/4 ton diesel tank on Eā€¦ like $200 to fill up lol)

overall price was really similar.

not sure how good the GR manual is but the Si is direct and funā€¦ light clutch but effective.

overall both really fun carsā€¦ as with most things, preference probably is the biggest deciding factorā€¦ colors, styling, purpose. If someone is going to track the car, GR86 probably makes more sense. If you have kids, Si makes sense. If you want auto trans (probably very few people here) then GR would be good or an integra. GR got a lot of attention, Si got none. GT4 gets a ton. SS1LE got none (which those two cars actually are a great comparison for another timeā€¦)

In short, Si and GR86 both are great cars but each have their compromises. Iā€™ve probably had 30+ cars at this point over a wide variety of purposes and price points. No car does everything. As a car enthusiast we often follow our hearts rather than our wallets or brains. Comes with the territory.

happy driving!

OP
OP
evanescent03

evanescent03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So in less than 1 year, you will have had an Si, GR86, GT4(!), and Integra? Plus a couple trucks? I'm pointing to you when my wife criticizes me for wanting to upgrade my Civic Hatch in 3 years. "Honey, I know this guy who went through 6 cars in 1 year! I don't think I'm being unreasonable here!" :p
I donā€™t claim to be a good influence hahaā€¦ luckily my wife is supportive :)

alhounos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si - Sold, Tesla Model 3
Honestly with the used car market being the way it was the past few years, if you bought new at MSRP and sell a year later youā€™re actually making money.

I expect that party is just about over though.

OGGsr

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PWP 2022 Civic Si
[

thanks for the offer but not interested! Got the integra incoming! Good luck finding a buyer thiugh

sure!

yep!

as someone mentioned below about them being different animals, Iā€™d say thatā€™s true-ish. They definitely have some important similarities and differencesā€¦

The biggest differences are obvious but important ā€¦ they may or may not matter to every individual:

2 vs 4 door
RWD/FWD
NA vs Turbo
Sit lower in GR and makes it feel more like a ā€œsports carā€
GR has auto option
GR has much more track ā€œpedigreeā€ and no shortage of brake pads etc
GR has cumbersome infotainment and junky audio system
Si has much better infotainment and audio system (Iā€™m no audiophile but definitely appreciate ā€œgoodā€ quality.. GR was terrible)
Red seats in the Si are polarizing (wife hated them) vs the neutral GR seats

similarities:
Speed: I donā€™t even know the 0-60 or HP stats off the top of my head but they are similar in terms of speed in the street ā€¦ not fast but quick enough to be fun .. GR felt very slow on track digging out of turns or going uphill in comparison to my SS1LE (450ish hp/tq). Both engines were livelyā€¦ the GR and Si have different power delivery but I donā€™t remember either being much better/worse.

weight: again, not sure stats but they both felt lightweight

Handling: Both changed directions well but GR felt a little tighter/more planted ā€¦ but both were really fun on the road. GR was well balanced on the track but I never took the Si on track so cannot comment in that.

Fuel economy similar but I think the Si was bit better. Both had small tanks iirc so still had to fill up frequently but it was cheap (in comparison to a 3/4 ton diesel tank on Eā€¦ like $200 to fill up lol)

overall price was really similar.

not sure how good the GR manual is but the Si is direct and funā€¦ light clutch but effective.

overall both really fun carsā€¦ as with most things, preference probably is the biggest deciding factorā€¦ colors, styling, purpose. If someone is going to track the car, GR86 probably makes more sense. If you have kids, Si makes sense. If you want auto trans (probably very few people here) then GR would be good or an integra. GR got a lot of attention, Si got none. GT4 gets a ton. SS1LE got none (which those two cars actually are a great comparison for another timeā€¦)

In short, Si and GR86 both are great cars but each have their compromises. Iā€™ve probably had 30+ cars at this point over a wide variety of purposes and price points. No car does everything. As a car enthusiast we often follow our hearts rather than our wallets or brains. Comes with the territory.

happy driving!
Great, honest feedback. Thanks
Sponsored