• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

What did you pay for your FL5?

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
Yes, yellow - it's certainly memorable and one of the two I think of when I generically think to myself "Type R". I think Black and Red were available too, maybe Silver? I'm definitely not an encyclopedia of this stuff :)

Not sure how yellow would look on a FL5 though...
Sponsored

CWNole95

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 CW FL5
The ITR was originally offered in Championship White here in the US, in 97 and 98 model years. It was offered as a 2000 model year in Phoenix Yellow or Flamenco Black Pearl, and as a 2001 model year in Phoenix Yellow or Nighthawk Black Pearl. The ITR was not offered as a 99 model here, and it was never available in red or silver in the US.

The 97 is the rarest of all, as Honda made just more than 300 of them, total.

Iā€™m ashamed to admit Iā€™ve owned each and kept none, sadly.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Yes, yellow - it's certainly memorable and one of the two I think of when I generically think to myself "Type R". I think Black and Red were available too, maybe Silver? I'm definitely not an encyclopedia of this stuff :)

Not sure how yellow would look on a FL5 though...
Agree. Championship White and Phoenix Yellow (or Sunlight depending on the market) are the colors that come to mind when I think of the classic ITR colors.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
The ITR was originally offered in Championship White here in the US, in 97 and 98 model years. It was offered as a 2000 model year in Phoenix Yellow or Flamenco Black Pearl, and as a 2001 model year in Phoenix Yellow or Nighthawk Black Pearl. The ITR was not offered as a 99 model here, and it was never available in red or silver in the US.

The 97 is the rarest of all, as Honda made just more than 300 of them, total.

Iā€™m ashamed to admit Iā€™ve owned each and kept none, sadly.
I don't mean to open up wounds but that sounds tragic. What happened? How did you let two of them get away from you?

DarthTrizzle

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe
It happens quite often, Iā€™ve sent lists to people who secured a car and then the dealer that sold it gets large amounts of interest only after it appears on their website. I know 2 forum members that had their selling dealer ask to buy the car back so they could resell it, because they didnā€™t anticipate the demand would be so high.
This happened at the dealer I purchased mine through. Since delivery took so long it was listed as "at dealer" on Honda's website. Front desk girl thanked me for buying it quickly as she said they received thousands of calls in the month it was listed as there but really wasn't.

I used to vtec

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Civic SI
I really thought several months into being available, the initial hype would fade and prices would start to normalize. In my experience, these cars are still easily selling for 10-20k over MSRP around me and dealers will not budge. I told one dealer to f off the other day at their 63k asking price + $99 for nitrogen tires, and now I see it's sold. I love this car but I cannot believe people are actually buying it for ~60k and up after taxes.

I used to vtec

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Civic SI
For fun, I searched the subreddit r/askcarsales for ā€œtype rā€, and there were posts from 2019 and before asking when prices would drop or become closer to MSRP. Even then, it was the same issue, so I highly doubt the prices will drop close to MSRP anytime soon.
Here is a screenshot of just one example, but thereā€™s over 20 threads about the same topic as old as five years ago.

FWIW, I paid $5k mark up with no additional accessories.
IMG_4855.jpeg
Yeah, I'm not expecting MSRP now or ever. And I would do 5k over. That's my limit. but even that has been difficult to find. I'm on two dealership lists for that price but I'm like 10+ deep on both lists. Any other dealer I can find at that price will not accept a deposit or reservation.

ELIAS64

First Name
Elias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23ā€™ Type R
Does anyone know when the MotoringObsession site pulls fresh batch of "in transit" vehicles? If it auto updates, what time does it happen?

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Does anyone know when the MotoringObsession site pulls fresh batch of "in transit" vehicles? If it auto updates, what time does it happen?
I have seen that it auto updates and the times and frequency vary. I've seen 8am, 9am, 1pm, multiple times per day, and I've also seen it skips days.

Geezer

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
I really thought several months into being available, the initial hype would fade and prices would start to normalize. In my experience, these cars are still easily selling for 10-20k over MSRP around me and dealers will not budge. I told one dealer to f off the other day at their 63k asking price + $99 for nitrogen tires, and now I see it's sold. I love this car but I cannot believe people are actually buying it for ~60k and up after taxes.
The problem is the car isn't really available. The msrp lists are miles long. At some point when you are number 30 on an msrp list knowing dealer will get maybe 12 in 3-4 years you have to ask yourself how bad do you want it. I see people posting my max is 5 over 7500 over 10 over etc etc. Everyone has a different threshold. And that threshold is on the upswing from what I gather. The question I ask myself is how many people are willing and financially able to buy the car today if it was available at msrp. I think we can agree the answer is multiple thousands if now tens of thousands. In that scenario markups will go nowhere. I said at the end of last year markups will not fade if anything they will increase come spring. We are seeing that now.

dng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000
I have seen that it auto updates and the times and frequency vary. I've seen 8am, 9am, 1pm, multiple times per day, and I've also seen it skips days.
It refreshes four times a day but sometimes the refresh shows no change in data (ie no new cars in transit, no new cars on site)

I suggest signing up for an account and getting notifications via discord if you really want to know when the Honda data updates.

https://www.motoringobsession.com/stock/civic-type-r

ELIAS64

First Name
Elias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23ā€™ Type R
just a tip on how I got my car- I called all local Honda dealers and got in their wait lists. Once a car shows as in transit on the trackers, the dealer is getting a million calls and already has a list. If you wait for something in transit, youā€™re likely going to be too far down on the list. You may get lucky. I got my car by being on a list last year, then once an allocation occurred to my dealer and trackers updated after it was built (about a month after my dealer had the allocation), dealer said they had like 50+ calls about the car.
Thank you for the tip!

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
I said at the end of last year markups will not fade if anything they will increase come spring. We are seeing that now.
Motoring Obsession seems to back that - the median markup dropped from $15k > 12k > 10k over the last 2-3mos but I just looked and it's ballooned back to 15k.

Regarding price, only you can make that choice - I was "hard" on $5k over but after a lot of thought and seeing the market I bumped to $7.5k but was still getting nowhere with dealers (via phone, email, text - can't fly out to negotiate in person hoping for a deal) until I saw my car on MO with "$8k" and I was like in for a penny...

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Updates happen as each vehicle reaches a milestone in travel or a point or destination.

So for example...

If the method of transportation changes. Rail to Truck for example. It will update. If on the rail and it stops, it will update. I can't say that it will always be like that. Honda can be delayed in updating.

I used to vtec

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Civic SI
just a tip on how I got my car- I called all local Honda dealers and got in their wait lists. Once a car shows as in transit on the trackers, the dealer is getting a million calls and already has a list. If you wait for something in transit, youā€™re likely going to be too far down on the list. You may get lucky. I got my car by being on a list last year, then once an allocation occurred to my dealer and trackers updated after it was built (about a month after my dealer had the allocation), dealer said they had like 50+ calls about the car.
I've probably spoken to 100ish dealers a this point. Problem I'm running into is one of two scenarios:

1) sure, we take a deposit on a car we don't have. Selling price is MSRP + 15-20k

Or

2) we don't take deposits or reservations on cars we don't have. But we'll call you and the three hundred other people who inquired when it becomes available.

I just don't know how people got on lists for future allocations at reasonable prices. No dealers I talk to seem to be interested in taking a deposit for a car they don't already have allocated to them.
Sponsored