• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

What did you ppf?

halfmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Porsche 718 Spyder Riviera Blue
I know usually people just ppf the full front end and the rockers but with the rear doors flared out and the front fender vent opening into the front doors, are you putting ppf on the front and rear doors too?

For people that don't believe in ppf, are you seeing rock chips/damage in the rockers, front and rear doors? How about the A pillars?
Sponsored

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
I believe in PPF but my honest opinion is that you are going to have to invest alot money to keep the car clean whether you do PPF or not so its a moot point. Keeping these cars clean and mint is a money sink just like how if you were to date some type of A list model.

I went with partial PPF for my other car and you can see the yellow discoloration between the panels that were PPF'd despite car being garage kept. Now if I really want to fix the issue I will have to spend even more money to get removed lol. Its not bad imo but from seeing the posts about people complaining about the paint with these cars it would bother them since they are anal with paint. I will admit I'm not that type of guy who babies his cars and gets upset over the smallest nick in paint, so the yellowing could be from me just not using specific detailing products or cleaning it as frequently.

I didn't get PPF and I don't see any rock chips on my CTR. I'd only do PPF if you entirely cover the car. For me personally, I don't care. I spent so much babying my GT350 and it has some problems as well as some rock chips (in areas that were covered lol) that I just dont care about damage or rock chips, I'd rather spend my money elsewhere. I'll take my CTR to a body shop in 5-10 years and see what they can do to fix any damage, its not like this is a +$100k car so it doesn't bother me. Either way you are going to spend money keeping the car in mint condition

Last edited:

ThanksGTA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Iā€™m considering doing the whole car, but itā€™s pretty expensive considering the cost proportionate to the cost of the car. On my more expensive vehicles itā€™s a no brainer. I was quoted 7,500 to do the whole car and thatā€™s like 15% of the total cost.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
The decision to move forward with ppf and how much is a function of your tolerance for paint damage. Like most pursuits there's no right or wrong answer to ppf because it depends on the person. Understanding the why will guide whether to move forward or not. I have the following ppf coverage on my FL5:
  • Front bumper
  • Full hood
  • Front fenders
  • A-pillar kit w/ leading edge of roof (6")
  • Side mirrors
  • Headlights
  • Rocker panels
  • B & C pillars
  • Door cups (which I did not want, but the installer installed them anyway. I'll remove them at some point.)
  • Custom piece on each rear door (bottom corner closest to rear wheel) resembling a shark fin
To your second question: The front tires kick up rocks and debris and quite a bit makes its way through the fender vents on the front doors and rockers. I noticed it's more pronounced with spacers. I also have FlapFab Stone Guards and they do a great job of filtering out debris coming through the fender vents.

Last edited:

BOZE

First Name
BOB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic TYPE R, 2023 Toyota Prius Limited
The decision to move forward with ppf and how much is a function of your tolerance for paint damage. Like most pursuits there's no right or wrong answer to ppf because it depends on the person. Understanding the why will guide whether to move forward or not. I have the following ppf coverage on my FL5:
  • Front bumper
  • Full hood
  • Front fenders
  • A-pillar kit w/ leading edge of roof (6")
  • Side mirrors
  • Headlights
  • Rocker panels
  • B & C pillars
  • Door cups (which I did not want, but the installer installed them anyway. I'll take remove them at some point)
  • Custom piece on each rear door (bottom corner closest to rear wheel) resembling a shark fin
To your second question: The front tires kick up rocks and debris and quite a bit makes its way through the fender vents on the front doors and rockers. I noticed it's more pronounced with spacers. I also have FlapFab Stone Guards and they do a great job of filtering out debris coming through the fender vents.
I've had PPF on previous cars. PPF WON'T stop ALL rock chips. some have torn the PPF, but not enough to damage the paint, and you end up with a torn PPF with ragged ends that collects dirt and debris and looks terrible. sometimes even worst then a rock chip without PPF. I don't PPF anymore. do we need a solution to stop rock chips from your PPF?

Azkyrie

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Integra Type S
I believe in PPF but my honest opinion is that you are going to have to invest alot money to keep the car clean whether you do PPF or not so its a moot point. Keeping these cars clean and mint is a money sink just like how if you were to date a some type of A list model.

I went with partial PPF for my other car and you can see the yellow discoloration between the panels that were PPF'd and not despite car being garage kept. Now if I really want to fix the issue I will have to spend even more money to get removed lol. Its not bad imo but from seeing the posts about people complaining about the paint with these cars it would bother them since they are anal with paint. I will admit I'm not that type of guy who babies his cars and gets upset over the smallest nick in paint.

I didn't get PPF and I don't see any rock chips on my CTR. I'd only do PPF if you entirely cover the car. For me personally, I don't care. I spent so much babying my GT350 and it has some problems as well as some rock chips (in areas that were covered lol) that I just dont care about damage or rock chips, I'd rather spend my money elsewhere. I'll take my CTR to a body shop in 5-10 years and see what they can do to fix any damage, its not like this is a +$100k car so it doesn't bother me.
I agree from the standpoint that it is expensive to get ppf full protection. Also agree that it should be all or nothing otherwise the paint would have uneven wear and tear and possibly uneven paint fading.

that said it doesnā€™t matter if itā€™s a $100k+ car or $43k car that warrants ppf protection. If itā€™s a car you spent good money on, you love the car and intend to keep for a very long time. Yes it costs money to keep the car looking fresh and youā€™re the person that spends time with the car, you have to enjoy looking at it. The elements will tear down any car, $100k or not it comes down to whether or not you want to appreciate looking at your car 5-10 years from now

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
I've had PPF on previous cars. PPF WON'T stop ALL rock chips. some have torn the PPF, but not enough to damage the paint, and you end up with a torn PPF with ragged ends that collects dirt and debris and looks terrible. sometimes even worst then a rock chip without PPF. I don't PPF anymore. do we need a solution to stop rock chips from your PPF?
Nowhere in the technical or marketing information for paint protection film does it claim absolute stone/rock chip resistance. If a foreign object is moving fast enough, large enough, and/or sharp enough it will penetrate the film and may damage the paint. It's not an impregnable force field. That's common sense and most people know that. It's fair to say PPF will stop 99% of what your vehicle will encounter on a daily basis.

I have a couple of tears on the ppf a car I have with about 20,000 miles on it. It doesn't look awful at all and it hasn't gotten dirty and terrible looking yet. The way I see it, if a rock or stone penetrates the film, then the film did its job. When the film begins to look ratty, then I'll replace it.

UJX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type-R #2479
I PPF'd: Front bumper, hood, side skirts, front doors, mirrors, rear bumper, spoiler.

I did the fender vent mesh mod so I the amount of debris that I kick up towards the rear doors should be minimal. With almost 6k miles, my rear doors seem to be blemish free (knock on wood).

madbikes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
I chose to PPF: Full Front, high-touch Piano Black trims (the part most would use to close the door), Door Sill Areas that exist in normal Civic, Rear Bumper Cover AppliquƩ

Places I wish I did PPF: Full Roof, Rear Wing (upward facing only), the flat part of side skirt if it was not chipped prior to PPF

Despite areas I frequent is easy to get rock chips, it is very rare to have one on the doors and A-pillars. It is not a bad idea to consider extending the area where the factory applied PPF on the rear doors, depending on your comfort level.

AJ28

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R CW, 2017 Civic SI
11th Gen Honda Civic What did you ppf? IMG_7902

Hi all,
I decided to opt in with a full front end PPF (bumper,fender,headlights,hood,mirror caps) & a gloss black PPF roof. Honestly the best thing Iā€™ve done for this car. The shop recommended just a front end instead if the full car cause although this car is a type R, itā€™s still a civic & meant to be driven daily! Went with a 8.5 mil thick of a PPF and a week after install. It chipped the PPF already instead of paint so it did itā€™s job.. the gloss black roof PPF looks like a mirror/big sunroof and itā€™s protected from the sun. I also got a ceramic coating all around to protect from dust/dirt. If you were looking for PPF Iā€™d recommend a Full front end + ceramic cause I paid ~$2200 total. If you were to get a full car thatā€™d run ~$4200+ depending on shop. My only concern is the front wheel debris that goes through the vent. Iā€™ve ordered the fabflap cover but wonā€™t till next week! šŸ˜
11th Gen Honda Civic What did you ppf? IMG_8024

11th Gen Honda Civic What did you ppf? IMG_7906

Gillie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBP FL5
PPF on front bumper only. I ended up getting a small rock chip on my roof. Unlucky I guess.

OP
OP

halfmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Porsche 718 Spyder Riviera Blue
For those of you that didn't get ppf on the doors, can you share how they've held up with potential rocks coming through the fender vents and hitting both front and especially rear door with the flare? This question is directed specifically towards those that don't have the fender vent rocks guards.

AJ28

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R CW, 2017 Civic SI
For those of you that didn't get ppf on the doors, can you share how they've held up with potential rocks coming through the fender vents and hitting both front and especially rear door with the flare? This question is directed specifically towards those that don't have the fender vent rocks guards.
I've had a few rocks go through I'm assuming. I've had rocks stuck in the side skirts and a trail of dirt across front door and rear door. Just ordered a vent cover to see if it prevents those little rocks and possibly less dirt grime on the sides.

nawfoo

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Integra Si
I PPF my BMW's but they were black. I've notice some rock chips on the lower front bumper but I was never planning on getting PPF anyways. Some guy made a thread on the civic or integra forums about not wanting rock chips on his intercooler. I told him to buy a second car and keep the first one in the garage.
Sponsored