Sponsored

Who here has their R as an everyday driver?

Cueyo

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2023
Threads
22
Messages
1,047
Reaction score
835
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
2025 Civic Type R
If you keep putting PS4S on there, then 50k miles on 5 sets of tires sounds about right. Mine barely lasted 10k miles. If I did that kind of mileage I would have switched to something else.
It must be my roads then because I have ~2-3k miles left on the tread. The factory tires have definitely lost their bite, but I wouldn't call or bad enough to warrant a change.
Sponsored

 

Pekingduck

Senior Member
First Name
Albert
Joined
Jan 24, 2018
Threads
10
Messages
221
Reaction score
183
Location
Southern California
Vehicle(s)
Na
You went through 5 sets of tires? What are you doing, burnouts in your front yard? I drive spirited everyday and haven't even gotten through the OEM tires yet with ~11k miles. If you tracked it that wouldn't be weird to have a track set and use those up, but with normal commuting 5 sets over 2 years is like a new set every 5-6 months and like 10k miles per set.

The pads and rotors are no big surprise, that's just what you get when you have a car that has brake torque vectoring and all the fancy braking to control the body.

What electric car did you go to? Tires aren't much better with how heavy EVs are.
I used 4 sets of ps4 and 1 set of 200 tread wear tire. I did bring it to the canyonish area on my way at times and also had about 6 track days never stay out the whole session. The ps4 didn’t last maybe 10k miles. On my other car it lasted 7k miles with ps4. Tires cost was like $1500 a set and I didn’t want to go with a lesser tire grip due to it being a type r so trying to keep with same or higher grip level as engineered intended.

I got a used Chevy bolt and put new tires only cost me $600 for brand name set and should last 30k miles.
 

Cueyo

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2023
Threads
22
Messages
1,047
Reaction score
835
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
2025 Civic Type R
I used 4 sets of ps4 and 1 set of 200 tread wear tire. I did bring it to the canyonish area on my way at times and also had about 6 track days never stay out the whole session. The ps4 didn’t last maybe 10k miles. On my other car it lasted 7k miles with ps4. Tires cost was like $1500 a set and I didn’t want to go with a lesser tire grip due to it being a type r so trying to keep with same or higher grip level as engineered intended.

I got a used Chevy bolt and put new tires only cost me $600 for brand name set and should last 30k miles.
Wow that's a pretty big change, Chevy bolts are terrible vehicles (imo). Why did you make such a drastic change from a fwd sports car that's a manual to a 210hp EV. Here I was thinking you went to a Tesla or something that's faster.
 

zumbooruk

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2024
Threads
12
Messages
687
Reaction score
647
Location
Ventura CA
Vehicle(s)
2025 FL5, 2014 Chevy Suburban (wife), previous 2007 FA5
Yes, it’s much less appealing to store a low mileage car once all of this is considered. Plus it sucks to see a driver’s car sitting there as a static object.

Not here to offer financial advice but S&P 500, and other options will earn you more if an investment is what one is really after.
Not for investment, but to be able to drive what might be one of the last most fun to drive manual car ever made 15-25 years from now. Though by that time, gasoline might not be available :-(
 

ABPDE5

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2023
Threads
6
Messages
273
Reaction score
262
Location
New England
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type-S
I used 4 sets of ps4 and 1 set of 200 tread wear tire. I did bring it to the canyonish area on my way at times and also had about 6 track days never stay out the whole session. The ps4 didn’t last maybe 10k miles. On my other car it lasted 7k miles with ps4. Tires cost was like $1500 a set and I didn’t want to go with a lesser tire grip due to it being a type r so trying to keep with same or higher grip level as engineered intended.

I got a used Chevy bolt and put new tires only cost me $600 for brand name set and should last 30k miles.
Track days will murder the PS4S. If you return to tracking in the future, buy a second set of tires intended for that purpose.
 
Last edited:


ThunderPigeon

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2022
Threads
7
Messages
286
Reaction score
302
Location
Long Island
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rallye Red Civic Type-R #24723
It must be my roads then because I have ~2-3k miles left on the tread. The factory tires have definitely lost their bite, but I wouldn't call or bad enough to warrant a change.
You have a a lot more highway style driving than me. It's all stop.and go around me. What are you using in the winter? Those tires suck on the cold and you will ruin them. I switched to DWS06+ and they are great. 90% of the grip and they will last 3 times as long. And I can drive in the cold.
 

Cueyo

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2023
Threads
22
Messages
1,047
Reaction score
835
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
2025 Civic Type R
You have a a lot more highway style driving than me. It's all stop.and go around me. What are you using in the winter? Those tires suck on the cold and you will ruin them. I switched to DWS06+ and they are great. 90% of the grip and they will last 3 times as long. And I can drive in the cold.
I went to Alpin 5s in the winter, don't know if I'd pick them again for deeper snow, but the light snow traction is exceptionally good. Kind of what I expected since they were the only 265 tires available to me at the time (and apparently what Michelin recommends for the type R)
 

zymmer4

Senior Member
First Name
Howard
Joined
Feb 15, 2025
Threads
3
Messages
99
Reaction score
67
Location
West Virginia
Vehicle(s)
2024 type R, 2005 Forester XT, 2004 Outback, 2011 Ranger.4 litre.5 speed
You can get a FK8LE spare kit if you're willing to sacrifice some trunk space. Or if your insurance covers a tow, flat bed it home and put the spare on there until you get to a shop. Would not recommend the fix a flat kit that comes with the FL5.
I bought the FK8 spare kit from my Honda stealership last week..I lost maybe 2 inches of vertical space. I can't really tell the difference.The kit came with the spare trunk cover..screws in where the stock one came out. The speaker in the right rear of the trunk is 100% exposed./I did buy a better folding jack because I didn't like the way the kit jack operated..Other than the jack, I am super pleased with the peace of mind a spare tire adds to the driving experience. I also bought a torque wrench and 17mm socket to properly fix the wheels to the hub..94 ft lbs is not "gootentite".
 

jtlctr

Senior Member
First Name
Jake
Joined
May 12, 2024
Threads
16
Messages
714
Reaction score
883
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
2024 Civic Type R, 2008 Acura RDX
I bought the FK8 spare kit from my Honda stealership last week..I lost maybe 2 inches of vertical space. I can't really tell the difference.The kit came with the spare trunk cover..screws in where the stock one came out. The speaker in the right rear of the trunk is 100% exposed./I did buy a better folding jack because I didn't like the way the kit jack operated..Other than the jack, I am super pleased with the peace of mind a spare tire adds to the driving experience. I also bought a torque wrench and 17mm socket to properly fix the wheels to the hub..94 ft lbs is not "gootentite".
Do you have aftermarket lug nuts? The OEM lug nuts require a 22mm socket.
Sponsored

 
 







Top