• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Type R Record at the Ring?

Will the Type R take the record at Nurburgring before the reveal?

• Total voters

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
The riddle….

The Megane Trophy R which holds the lap record (for front wheel drive production cars “FWDPC”) at the Nurburgring (7:40.1) has a fastest lap time at Suzuka of 2:25.45.

The 2023 Type R prototype set the FWDPC record at Suzuka with a time of 2:23.12 - almost 2.5 seconds faster than the Megane.
Sponsored

ASIMO Assassin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing interesting right now
I think if they were able to do it without adding much more power, it will be pretty tight. Probably 7:38 give or take a second.

With that said, I honestly think the limiting factor for the Type-R at the Ring is lack of power in the straights. My gut feeling is they couldn't pull of a new record last year, so they went back and re-tuned the engine at Suzuka. If they did that, you might see a considerable jump in the lap time down to like 7:32 or something.

This will be the swan song for the Type-R IMO. If they are going to go for it, hopefully they went all out on it. No real point setting a record that will fall almost immediately if they make another special edition of the Megane.

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback sport
My opinion is they won’t break the record but will beat the fk8 but 1-2 seconds. I won’t be shocked if they do beat the Megane by under a second and take the record but I think they will be announcing this as the “type-R ring record”.

can’t wait for Honda to announce the final specs. Hopefully it’s a huge success like the FK8.

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
My opinion is they won’t break the record but will beat the fk8 but 1-2 seconds. I won’t be shocked if they do beat the Megane by under a second and take the record but I think they will be announcing this as the “type-R ring record”.

can’t wait for Honda to announce the final specs. Hopefully it’s a huge success like the FK8.
Yeah really wouldn't hold the Megane record in such high regard when you find out what Renault did to achieve the time. The car had carbon fiber wheels, rear seat delete, carbon ceramic brakes, lightweight bucket seats, carbon fiber hood, and a titanium exhaust. They only sold ~100 of the one off special edition car and it costs like $40k more than the Type-R. It was only was 3 seconds faster which doesn't seem like alot considering the modifications that was done.

Will be interesting to see the time though for sure. Will be faster than the previous lap no doubt.

Last edited:

typeR4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do sneakers count if I put wheels on them?
Wow. I knew they made some changes but that's just stupid to claim a record.

My thoughts:
- hoping the smoother lines and molded body means better top speed from lower drag on long straights
- I'm fairly certain they've tweaked suspension, wheels, tires, etc. to achieve higher corner exit speeds
- might be a bit heavier given 11th gen platform
- I'll assume no additional power but hoping they tweaked the torque/power curves. Not Honda's style to just throw ponies at customers
- suzuka time was nearly 0.9s faster than a limited edition
- limited edition is working out to be around 1s faster than standard Type R on 2min-ish tracks around the world
- original Ring record was in 2017 Type R. Newer years had improved on heat soak and a few other minor things. I think most comparisons of LE is vs newer Type R

All of this combined, I'm thinking it shouldn't be an issue to claim the Ring record. Even though I don't count Renault's record in my mind.

If it was simple, I'd extrapolate numbers from other tracks and say we could see around 5-7s improvement (conservatively, let's say LE is 3s faster than 2017 and 2023 is 3s faster than LE). Reality is much more difficult to predict of course, including variables such as driver and track conditions. So everything above might as well be wishful thinking and absolute garbage. I mean, if it could do that, it's now getting into Lexus LFA, Ferrari 458 and Porsche 911 turbo territory. 😅

Then again, if Renault can make some simple mods to go 4s faster already, maybe above isn't a pipedream? Either way it comes out, I'll still be getting the car. All of this thinking and guessing is just here to help me from going insane waiting around without a proper car to drive (manual with proper input and feedback).

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback sport
Yeah really wouldn't hold the Megane record in such high regard when you find out what Renault did to achieve the time. The car had carbon fiber wheels, rear seat delete, carbon ceramic brakes, lightweight bucket seats, carbon fiber hood, and a titanium exhaust. They only sold ~100 of the one off special edition car and it costs like $40k more than the Type-R. It was only was 3 seconds faster which doesn't seem like alot considering the modifications that was done.

Will be interesting to see the time though for sure. Will be faster than the previous lab no doubt.
Yeah this topic was beaten to death on civicx forum. The megane was a super limited spec designed to take the record, which shows you how great the FK8 actually is in its non limited form.

Honda knows what they are doing and now that they have planted the type-R nameplate again I’m sure the new R will be a more refined FK8 that’s faster.
similar to the jump from FK2.

KoukiVAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CTR(Sold), 19 TLX, 21 Veloster N
I don't see anything wrong with how Megane RS set the record. If anything, that car was "stock" and those who are rich/weird enough could get the exact spec. You couldn't do that with the record setting type-R, although that's undoubtedly much closer to regular spec model.

You see, Renault didn't make the Trophy R because they couldn't beat the CTR's record with the regular RS or RS Trophy. Yes, stock FK8 will destroy any mass production Meganes on the 'Ring, but the special limited model was going to be the one to attack the record from the very beginning.

That's how they did it with the 3rd gen RS, just with less extreme factory mods.
VW took the similar approach with their 'Ring machine, the Clubsport S. It's also a less practical 2 seater with some factory mods.
Cupra and Honda decided not to do that.
Nobody cheated in the game. They all deserve respect. They seem to respect each other too.
Well, an engineer from one company has talked sht about it but they don't even have a record loll
I wonder who the last ever record holder will be.

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
I don't see anything wrong with how Megane RS set the record. If anything, that car was "stock" and those who are rich/weird enough could get the exact spec. You couldn't do that with the record setting type-R, although that's undoubtedly much closer to regular spec model.

You see, Renault didn't make the Trophy R because they couldn't beat the CTR's record with the regular RS or RS Trophy. Yes, stock FK8 will destroy any mass production Meganes on the 'Ring, but the special limited model was going to be the one to attack the record from the very beginning.

That's how they did it with the 3rd gen RS, just with less extreme factory mods.
VW took the similar approach with their 'Ring machine, the Clubsport S. It's also a less practical 2 seater with some factory mods.
Cupra and Honda decided not to do that.
Nobody cheated in the game. They all deserve respect. They seem to respect each other too.
Well, an engineer from one company has talked sht about it but they don't even have a record loll
I wonder who the last ever record holder will be.
Agree, not bashing what they did. I was just unfamiliar with the car since its not something thats available here in the US, so I had no idea it was some type of hardcore one off track car, and not a regular tuned up sports car. I was impressed with the time but the car is on a completely different level so its just not the same as I thought it was.

OP
OP

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
^ i stand by my assertion that it was a weak approach….

typeR4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do sneakers count if I put wheels on them?
I think it's fine as a two seater FWD hatch record. But functionally it's no longer in the same category as a hot hatch that carries 4-5 people.

Would be curious what CTR LE can do officially on the Ring. It only lost some minor functions and has done well against standard CTR on many tracks. It's definitely more accessible at 1020 units compared to Renault.

Kyofu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3 GT
I think it's fine as a two seater FWD hatch record. But functionally it's no longer in the same category as a hot hatch that carries 4-5 people.

Would be curious what CTR LE can do officially on the Ring. It only lost some minor functions and has done well against standard CTR on many tracks. It's definitely more accessible at 1020 units compared to Renault.
The 2 seater vs 4/5 seater part is also one of the big reasons why I don't find the Renault "record" to really be valid vs the CTR. Its still very impressive but totally different category at that point.

If they want to claim its a production car record then don't make it some exclusive limited edition that costs 2x more than the regular version. Almost no one wants to buy that, and those who want to buy it for its actual track purposes are probably gonna buy the regular version for half the price and strip it out themselves.

Quip

First Name
Paper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FK8 Type R
I’ve driven both the LE and my Current Stock 2019 FK8 on Streets of Willow here in California.

The LE was 1.1 second faster than my 2019. The lighter weight, stickier tires helped a bit. The LE was quite a bit “jumpier” over the course.

1.1 seconds is quite a bit on a short track like SOW.

I personally don’t think the new CTR will set the record.
Sponsored