• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

spectre186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Camry, 23 Civic Type R
The surprise for me on the FK8 is how livable +R mode is. Not too harsh at all. I will turn it on when I want maximum response for curves, corners, passing, merging. And then forget to turn it off sometimes because it feels just fine. If my 67 year old body can easily live with it, no whining accepted from my younger forum colleagues.

Sport is the default, and my default as well.

Comfort is just okay, but my least favorite. It just makes the suspension drag out its response to bad pavement. It doesn't so much eliminate bumps as slow down the jounce. They are still there, they just last longer. Ugh. Every time I try comfort mode I wind up putting it back in Sport.

Honestly if all I had was Sport and _+R I would be fine. + R is certainly useful on both road and track. No pun intended.
67 years old and driving a CTR…Legend!!!
Sponsored

OP
OP
JBO

JBO

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Cayman GT4 | 2015 Fiesta ST
69k NZD = $62,746 AUD + on road costs I would call it $69,900 drive away. At that price, depending on road reviews about the on-road ride quality, I will be proceeding.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica

My parents will be 65 and 68 when they get theirs lol. I keep laughing about how the guy next door to them who has a man crush on vw golfs is going to be caught lurking around their garage lol.

It sounds like the suspension was upped a level so maybe this years sport mode is like last gens R mode and this years R mode is F1 mode 😂

FL5JR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AW11
69k NZD = $62,746 AUD + on road costs I would call it $69,900 drive away. At that price, depending on road reviews about the on-road ride quality, I will be proceeding.
i reckon will abit lower looking at some new cars of NZ wrx , gr86 , golf r selling at the moment

OP
OP
JBO

JBO

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Cayman GT4 | 2015 Fiesta ST
Nobody yet, because every review is two laps on a track following under controlled conditions.
Wake me up when there is a road review, in english, by a reputable journalist.

ssheff55

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX
Nobody yet, because every review is two laps on a track following under controlled conditions.
Wake me up when there is a road review, in english, by a reputable journalist.
Glad I asked so I don’t waste my time lol. I think real media drives are next week Nov 7-10.

ctrc2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model3
I'm wondering how it compares to the ride of the FK8.

@crash___ . Any chance you could compare any of the Type R modes vs FL5 comfort mode if you have experience between both cars? I had a ride in an FK8 in normal mode on the original 20s that I thought was pretty tolerable
i think he saidd the fk8 in his picture is his friends car, im sure he can tell us some sort of comparisson

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06
Hey, I was 67 when I bought my 2020 and will be 69 next month. I track mine repeatedly and do ok in time attack competition events. The FK8 is so easy to drive, it makes me look better than I really am.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430

FL5ogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Laser
Damn it! I was sure Honda were going to price me out of this and had almost written it off.
Over $70k I can't justify that for a civic, type R or not. At $69,990 I can convince my pea brain it's good value. Lol

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Hes got the chocolate bar in his back pocket when he sits down in it at 5:15 lol.

Best review by far.

Last edited:

typeR4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do sneakers count if I put wheels on them?
Translation is still tough but this is probably one of the first road tests I've seen. Hard to make out much detail but was looking at speed vs redline where he hit 104km/h in 2nd and 144km/h in 3rd. So this does match up against the following using 265/30/R19 for tire:
11th Gen Honda Civic 2023 Civic Type R FL5 - Reviews Compilation (Articles + Videos)  ✍🏻 🎥 1667576658353

Here's the same for FK8:
11th Gen Honda Civic 2023 Civic Type R FL5 - Reviews Compilation (Articles + Videos)  ✍🏻 🎥 1667576729908

Honda increased power by nearly 3% but looks like resulting speeds at each gear is just over 5% higher. This means we could see a 2% decrease in acceleration, but higher speeds in each gear.

This may benefit some tracks to avoid shifting another gear before a turn but hurt in some other tracks that never had these problems.

Note also that 3% increase in peak power doesn't mean anything without seeing a dyno comparison. There's always a chance that area under the curve there is higher than 3% increase or even lower. We don't know.

End of day, I don't think anyone should be too concerned about minor changes in acceleration. It sounds like it will be one of the most driver focused cars and if this is the only drawback against FK8 while having a long list of improvements, that's what really matters. I think it's important that power alone doesn't define a car's potential. The platform it rides on is something you can't change much.

Last edited: