• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Everyday Driver

I don't get those guys. They claim the Elantra is a better daily all-in-one... because it has heated seats? What other substantial features does this car have over the Civic? I would argue that the convenience and practicality of the hatch makes the Civic a better all-rounder, if anything.

TimeRacer

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Prelude
I don't get those guys. They claim the Elantra is a better daily all-in-one... because it has heated seats? What other substantial features does this car have over the Civic? I would argue that the convenience and practicality of the hatch makes the Civic a better all-rounder, if anything.
$10k price difference, DCT/Auto available (huge for vast majority of the population), heated more adjustable seats, parking sensors, a few more creature comforts they glaze over, better exhaust note, much longer warranty, oh and did they mention $10k price difference? For basically 90+% of what the Civic Type-R performance offers. The Civic Type-R is better but have to acknowledge the competition. For the vast majority of buyers the Elantra N is the better buy especially if your intention is to one car daily drive and never see the track, why pay the premium for the masses or why do you want the masses to drive up CTR pricing even more? Or just spend that $10k (plus whatever markup) on 15+ track weekends and a set of dedicated track wheels and tires.

madbikes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
I enjoy their reviews but wonder how they can evaluate performance cars driven at 3/10ths on those roads?
Not every car review needs to be shown driven at 10/10ths.

I don't get those guys. They claim the Elantra is a better daily all-in-one... because it has heated seats?
Heated seats is an important amenity for some depending on climate. Some well-equipped economy cars start to have it in the 2010's.

Bonito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
The Type R is not a logical buy given its competition and pricing this gen. That doesn't mean it's not an amazing car. I drive a 2020 Veloster N and there is no good actual reason for me to be swapping to an FL5 outside of the fact that I've wanted a Type R since I was a teenager and every time I see one on the road, I wish I had one instead of the N. To paraphrase what they said in the video, the Veloster N is the car I bought (I got it $30k out the door), the Type R is the car I want. So now, a few years later and more financially stable, I'm making the silly decision to get one.

TDC50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Type R, C7 Corvette Grand Sport, Alfa Gulia
They are Utah residents. Heated seats are a nice feature.

As others said $10k price difference is huge. However if you buy the car for a long term enjoyable ownership experience than the $10k advantage shrivels up in my mind because Honda resale and history/reputation for better quality kicks in.

So many people I know with bad experiences with Hyundai but way back I owned an Elantra for 6 years and had zero problems with it

TDC50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Type R, C7 Corvette Grand Sport, Alfa Gulia
One thing I’m surprised about is not much is made about the lack of torque steer on the Type R compared with Elantra N.

No other front wheel drive car I’ve driven comes close to not feeling like front wheel drive as the Type R. I have yet to feel any torque steer, such a pleasure!!!

Sazabi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ
I look at it like this, two category of buyers:
  • I want a fun daily driver, haul groceries, take the kids to school, maybe my partner can drive it too, need to be fun on the weekend, damn, need to save money for our next vacation - Elantra N
  • I want a Type R
I don't think people who want a Type R are really cross shopping against a N. You want the R not only because it's an amazing car (bonus can seat 4 people, etc), but because its a R! The pedigree, Japanese engineering, etc. You know what you want and are getting.

A true cross shop for the N would be the Golf R, Golf GTI, etc.

Bonito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
They are Utah residents. Heated seats are a nice feature.

As others said $10k price difference is huge. However if you buy the car for a long term enjoyable ownership experience than the $10k advantage shrivels up in my mind because Honda resale and history/reputation for better quality kicks in.

So many people I know with bad experiences with Hyundai but way back I owned an Elantra for 6 years and had zero problems with it
I owned a normal Civic before my N and something I miss is the fit and finish of a Honda. The N’s interior feels like a sub $20k car because it is. It doesn’t feel solid. It doesn’t make you want to baby it. But that’s also the charm, it’s a rowdy little hatch you can drive the hell out of and not feel bad for it.

Ministry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Boost Blue #684, 2022 Si (sold)
Agreed, IMO having a true hatch, a better, cleaner interior, and far superior controls would weigh up the daily driving factor over the N but I guess in the end, better daily = keeping your butt warm.

Too bad I find the N so visually unappealing but like the one reviewer, I can't get passed it's looks, no matter how hard I try.

Robert.C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1, DC2-R
I look at it like this, two category of buyers:
  • I want a fun daily driver, haul groceries, take the kids to school, maybe my partner can drive it too, need to be fun on the weekend, damn, need to save money for our next vacation - Elantra N
  • I want a Type R
I don't think people who want a Type R are really cross shopping against a N. You want the R not only because it's an amazing car (bonus can seat 4 people, etc), but because its a R! The pedigree, Japanese engineering, etc. You know what you want and are getting.

A true cross shop for the N would be the Golf R, Golf GTI, etc.
This, this, this. An Elantra-N, GTI, et al is a rational choice for someone looking for “affordable” and practical performance. The R is the GT3 of FWD cars and something you buy to keep for 20 years.

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
The more competition the better. For us.

These videos online are opinions based on what they, the content creator prioritized. It may not make sense to you or me but there is an audience it will make sense to.

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
Agreed, IMO having a true hatch, a better, cleaner interior, and far superior controls would weigh up the daily driving factor over the N but I guess in the end, better daily = keeping your butt warm.

Too bad I find the N so visually unappealing but like the one reviewer, I can't get passed it's looks, no matter how hard I try.
Yup, doesn't matter how good the N is, it's too ugly. Now if only they made a more conventional looking 5 door hatch version . . .

11th Gen Honda Civic 2023 Civic Type R FL5 - Reviews Compilation (Articles + Videos)  ✍🏻 🎥 hyundai_i30_n_project_c_2

FLRib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R FK8

it can´t beat the Megane Trophy on track. Goodbye the lap record at Nurburgring
Sponsored