• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

2023 FL5 Civic type R accessory installation

whopacha

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5 Civic Type R
I own an FL5 type R (in Australia) I purchased the following OEM parts from Japan:
Foot lights: 08E 10-T43-000B Cup holder/console lights: 08E 16-T43-A00D Pattern projector: 08V27-T60-A00

Anyone have any links to installation instructions by any chance? Or videos or anything?

(Aus market actually comes with the footwell lighting as stock but it does not come with the underseat part, so the part I bought likely contains both, but I'll only need half of it)

I did see 2 different version of the cup holder illumination instructions, which looks like a huge pain, but still looking for the pattern (logo) projector instructions and the footwell (under seat) instructions.

Does anybody have/can anybody get those?
Sponsored

OP
OP

whopacha

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5 Civic Type R
Thanks. Better than nothing, but not sure I wanna attempt it without the actual FL5 instructions. Hoping someone has access to them.

OP
OP

whopacha

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5 Civic Type R
Oh wow, nice. Let me know how it goes, maybe take some pics!

I've just got my parts sitting there doing nothing, too scared to try anything without instructions, but still worried now with instructions. Looks like a bigger job than I initially thought.

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Well, the projectors are technically installed, but neither side works... so it seems I did something wrong along the way.

This job was pretty tedious, so it's a bummer they aren't functional. It was fairly easy to remove the door panels, but these joint connectors are a PITA. The first door took about 3 hours since I was moving slowly and learning along the way. The second door took about an hour.

I'll have to review the instructions again and retrace my steps.

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
So I’m brainstorming why these aren’t working and I’ve come up with the following ideas:
  • I may need to tighten up one or more of the splicing connectors—I’ve gathered they’re not particularly reliable
  • I think I’ve connected the colors correctly, so I don’t think that’s an issue.
  • I need to check the built-in fuses. I doubt it’s an issue, but ya never know.
  • Now this is just a hunch, but the US FL5 comes standard with a red LED light strip built into the door, and the European market (where these pattern projectors aren’t available) lack the LED light strip. I’m curious if I should’ve tied into that somehow. The instructions don’t speak to it. If this is the issue, I’ll have to get pretty creative to fix it.

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
So my pattern projectors technically function... but I think it's too soon to say they work:

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I'm going to stop by the dealership tomorrow and see if the poor guy in Parts can help me with a wiring diagram for the door harness. Clearly I've tapped into the wrong wire in each one, but I followed the instructions, which tells me the instructions are RHD-specific and LHD models are slightly different.

I lucked out tonight as I set out to do some exploratory surgery--I put the windows down with the door open and just happened to notice the pattern on the driver's side.

I'll admit I'm slightly relieved to think I'm close to getting these working, just need to know which of the ~20 wires I should be using.

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
So I swung by the dealership last night, and they were pretty unhelpful--they insist Honda hasn't released a wiring diagram for the Type-R, or any pin out-type diagrams... so it looks like back probing to figure out which wire activates the dome lighting may be my only option here.

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
@whopacha this install took me about 13 hours, and my experience likely won't be any help as we have different wiring inside the door here in the US. If you want to undertake it, you'll need to find (or run) wiring inside your door that's tied into each door actuator.

You should have neutral and ground sources, but you'll likely need to run a hot wire from your fusebox (unless you can find a power source inside the actual door that's only hot when the door is open, which would require a lot of slow and patient back probing the wiring with a multimeter). You may have wiring in the door that's always hot (like the door lock mechanism/security feature), but that'd result in a projector that's on 100% of the time (even when the car is off/locked) and an inevitable dead battery and/or burned out projector.

Keep me posted on what you decide to do. Unless you're a really confident and eager DIY'er, I'd look into a shop to do this install (at least for the wiring, the drilling and mounting of the kit was incredibly easy).

11th Gen Honda Civic 2023 FL5 Civic type R accessory installation Type-R Pattern

OP
OP

whopacha

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5 Civic Type R
Looks good. I was more worried about disassembly, drilling and mounting than wiring. I'm not sure when I'll attempt this, but I probably will DIY. Thanks

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Looks good. I was more worried about disassembly, drilling and mounting than wiring. I'm not sure when I'll attempt this, but I probably will DIY. Thanks
Honestly, if you're confident with wiring (don't follow the instructions I posted previously as they're either RHD-specific or outright incorrect), don't sweat disassembly.

It's scary at first to pull the door panel, but it's incredibly easy. They pop right on/off. The drilling is easy too--there's a template in the box and a good spade bit will go through the bottom of the door panel like warm butter. Heck, you start the drilling process by pushing a thumbtack through the door panel, so that should tell you how durable they are!