• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

spectre186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Camry, 23 Civic Type R
Lol, that would make Honda an even worse offender than BMW at underrating if true!

AspecR

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
Do people typically run OTS tunes?
I know 2 FK8 owners that have been running OTS tunes since 2019 with zero issues. They havent even bothered to get a custom tune because for their goals it wasn't necessary and years later they still about the tune.

TBH the Flashpro should be one of the first mods any Si or Type R owner gets for their car.

OP
OP
Hondata

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Type R,22' Civic Si,18' Accord 2.0T,17' FK8
Heres the picture that we all want to see.

Kinda weird hows there is a torque dip at 3000-3500 RPMs before hitting the peak and slowly dropping off. Does that mean anything?

Screenshot_20221108-221128_YouTube.jpg

This is probably knock retard from California 91 octane fuel (not the best)

OP
OP
Hondata

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
Are these figures at the wheels or crank?
Every dyno is different, particularly between manufacturers. The question to ask is "What are the gains over the previous Type R?" The answer to that nullifies the wheels vs crank comparison.

The answer to the the more appropriate question is:

On California 91, with an air pressure of 1018.6 milibar (sea level air pressure) and and 16 degrees celsius after 3 runs controlling water and under hood temperatures,

The FL5 makes 11 hp (3.4%) more power than the FK8
The FL5 makes 25 lbft (7.5%) more torque than the FK8

Honda under-rates their turbo cars. For example we measure the stock 22Si at 225 hp (rated 200)

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
It's not, Hondatas dyno removes the wheels and is bolted up. It's def crank.
I wouldn't consider crank because you are still dealing with drive train loss.

I think dyno rollers are doing a bit of estimation to a degree. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can shed more light.

Ministry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Boost Blue #684, 2022 Si (sold)
Makes sense. I know this was a hotly contested debate back when the 11th gen Si was dyno'd and the consensus was it was crank.

OP
OP
Hondata

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn't consider crank because you are still dealing with drive train loss.

I think dyno rollers are doing a bit of estimation to a degree. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can shed more light.
Someone with a degree in physics (me) has already shed some light. Let me crank up the illumination a lot. Dynos vary, cars vary and Honda's power figures (set in some cases by their marketing department) vary.

I dynoed an 04 Acura RSX (base), 05 Civic Si and 06 Accord, all rated by Honda at 160 HP. I measured them respectively at 140, 150 and 160hp.

We did a dyno day for the 2006 Civic Si, rated by Honda at 200 hp. Dyno figures varied from 195 to 205, the average being 200 hp. So in this case, for this car, our dyno approximated crank horsepower, the figure quoted by Honda.

Different brands of dyno read from 165 to 200 hp for the 06 Si and that figure can vary by what the dyno operator puts in for (estimated) gearbox loss, which depends on oil type, temperature and RPM.

Dyno ramp time is critical and we have settled on a ramp time of 500 rpm/second. Why? We tested our 05 Si with a 500 rpm/second and a 1000 rpm/second ramp. The difference between the two dyno runs was 20 hp.

If you use a roller dyno, changing the wheels and tires can change your power figures, not because your power changes, but because your acceleration changes.

I have explained this so many times in forums over the years, that my next step is to make a web page out of this explanation. It will save me so much time.

itsovr9k

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 S2000, 2022 Golf GTI
It's power to the hubs. The additional rotational mass of the wheels and tires are not accounted for. It still would still read lower than a engine Dyno per SAE specs because of other drivetrain losses caused by the rest of the rotational mass after the crank.

Still, the relevant point is to compare the FK8 to the FL5. What's interesting is the improved power under the curve

87GN

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Accord 2.0T Touring 1987 Buick Grand Nationa