• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

4 Piston TR2 Drop In Cams | Civic Type R FL5

OsosikMedia

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2017 Civic SI x2
Hi all,

I saw someone shared the video already but I am starting this thread to show more about the 4Piston TR2 cams installed in the Ososik Type R. Currently the mods are; Custom Powermetric tune E50 blend, Hondata FlashPro, @4piston tr2 cams, PRL intercooler & P700, carless DP, @Hondata Fuel System.

Our in house dyno is a Mustang Dyno AWD MD500. Currently the video and graphs show where Daniel (powermetric) stopped but as you can see Cam tuning really wakes up the mid range and if you have an aftermarket turbo this will definitely bring back the "stock turbo" spool feel..sort of, but in the end the peak power makes all the difference and I live above 4k RPM anyway. As always choosing a set up depends on your own goals.

Installing the cams is pretty straight forward and easy (given you have experience and proper tools). If you've never worked on a car, I definitely recommend taking it to an experienced mechanic. However, if you have some mechanic experience I believe anyone can tackle this. If it's your first time it might take you much longer than someone with experience but being a direct OE replacement, it's pretty straight forward. You will need a tune so that you don't get any error codes.

I've been driving the Civic Type R around for several weeks with these cams and honestly it's exactly what my setup was missing. I don't plan to make big HP with this car. Having any aftermarket turbo will cause you to lose the response that comes with the stock turbo but in my opinion these cams brought that back!

More picture to come....

Current set up with 4Piston Cams vs Stock:

11th Gen Honda Civic 4 Piston TR2 Drop In Cams | Civic Type R FL5 ososik-fl5-p700-E50-dp+ic-tr2-camtuning-vs-stock

Before and after some Cam tuning (more gains to come soon)....

11th Gen Honda Civic 4 Piston TR2 Drop In Cams | Civic Type R FL5 ososik-fl5-p700-E50-dp+ic-tr2-camtuning-vs-noCamTunin
Sponsored

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
Wow, the gains over 4k to redline are impressive. Wonder what this would look like with some springs and a raised redline.

OP
OP
OsosikMedia

OsosikMedia

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow, the gains over 4k to redline are impressive. Wonder what this would look like with some springs and a raised redline.
It is raised redline.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
Does the TR2 offer the same fuel increase as the Hondata camshaft? Not sure what they changed but would assume it's the DI pump lobe.

OP
OP
OsosikMedia

OsosikMedia

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The graph shown looks like the stock car was cutoff at like 6700 and the upgrade at 7500 (yes, higher but not much - I hadn't noticed though)?
Correct the stock one the run shows cut off at 6800 (if I remember correctly), because when it was stock I didn't want to bounce off the limiter to complete the dyno run.

OP
OP
OsosikMedia

OsosikMedia

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does the TR2 offer the same fuel increase as the Hondata camshaft? Not sure what they changed but would assume it's the DI pump lobe.
No, the 4Piston cam maintains the stock DI pump lobe but changes the others. While the Hondata camshaft only changes the DI Pump lobe. Two different approaches to see great gains. This car is like a hybrid, I have the Hondata fuel system (injectors/hpfp/lines) paired with the TR2 cams. In my opinion this is the best approach for the set up/mods I want to accomplish. You still increase your fuel supply over stock while regaining more low/mid range, that could be lost from going away from the super responsive/torque stock turbo.

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
Even though you dont have plans for for an aftermarket turbo doesn't it make more sense to get one since the stock turbo is one of the limiting factors when it comes to raising the redline, since it dies out at higher RPMs?

OP
OP
OsosikMedia

OsosikMedia

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Even though you dont have plans for for an aftermarket turbo doesn't it make more sense to get one since the stock turbo is one of the limiting factors when it comes to raising the redline, since it dies out at higher RPMs?
Raising the rev limiter affects much more, especially when it comes to DI. The turbo would be the least of my worries.
Even on stock turbo it will be a great upgrade and I'm sure it would give the top end most are seeking, but there are many ways to make power. It all comes down to what your overall goal is. From there you can mix and match the best parts for you. If I was sticking to the stock turbo, I would just purchase a Hondata fuel system and tune for ethanol and call it a day. The stock turbo is well more than capable to make enough power that would require you to dial it back for traction in certain gears.
I believe @4piston put these cams in HondaPro Jasons car with a stock turbo, I'll have to find the graph to see their gains over stock.
Turbos also have different efficiency ranges, so depending on the top end power you're looking for, the stock one might not cut it for you.

Azkyrie

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Integra Type S
Raising the rev limiter affects much more, especially when it comes to DI. The turbo would be the least of my worries.
Even on stock turbo it will be a great upgrade and I'm sure it would give the top end most are seeking, but there are many ways to make power. It all comes down to what your overall goal is. From there you can mix and match the best parts for you. If I was sticking to the stock turbo, I would just purchase a Hondata fuel system and tune for ethanol and call it a day. The stock turbo is well more than capable to make enough power that would require you to dial it back for traction in certain gears.
I believe @4piston put these cams in HondaPro Jasons car with a stock turbo, I'll have to find the graph to see their gains over stock.
Turbos also have different efficiency ranges, so depending on the top end power you're looking for, the stock one might not cut it for you.
thanks for posting the video and providing information. I’ve been pondering the TR2 cams for the DE5, looking at a MHI stage 2 or Kuro turbo upgrade with the supporting bolt on mods. However I won’t be doing fuel system upgrade.

I have no experience with cam upgrades and have heard that it’s not worthwhile, no significant increases and possibly difficult to hold cam position targets.

TR2 cams was a consideration for me as a street and occasional track setup. I figured cams are good for widening powerband past 7k rpm and/or increasing gains across the whole range. Perhaps it’s not as useful with no fuel system upgrade?

Will you be upgrading the oem stock gasket, valve train or porting the head in the future? Thank you, just trying to learn as much as possible
Sponsored