• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Backup plans - what's yours?

HawaiiPunch

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Elantra N
I'm going to try out a manual today. I'm sure I'll come to the same conclusions!
I ended up actually getting an Elantra N manual after driving one. Couldn’t justify the cost of the new CTR despite having a deposit down for a while. Elantra N was insanely fun for the cost. I don’t trust the long term reliability of it at all, but I typically don’t drive more than 4-5k kms per year. Though from some Hyundai fans apparently if the car is reliable after 20k then Hyundai is reliable and killing it now! I also have a work vehicle/girlfriends car if the short term reliability also sucks lol so I wouldn’t be without a car if I (most likely) have to use the warranty.
Sponsored

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Unless you're a super Honda fanboy, I don't see why you would go with a NSX Type S over a R8 V10+ or a 992 911 GTS or even a AMG GT-R.
I think all these cars offer something different. Just look at the powertrain differences. So there is no need to be a fanboy when it comes to picking which one you prefer. It just depends on what the buyer wants. I do consider the NSX to be competitive and unique. There are more chips in the NSX's corner than that but I think you get the point.

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
I ended up actually getting an Elantra N manual after driving one. Couldn’t justify the cost of the new CTR despite having a deposit down for a while. Elantra N was insanely fun for the cost. I don’t trust the long term reliability of it at all, but I typically don’t drive more than 4-5k kms per year. Though from some Hyundai fans apparently if the car is reliable after 20k then Hyundai is reliable and killing it now! I also have a work vehicle/girlfriends car if the short term reliability also sucks lol so I wouldn’t be without a car if I (most likely) have to use the warranty.
Nice! Congratulations!

I think what matters is that you drove it and enjoyed it. Hard for someone to say that is a bad decision when that is the end result.

citrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CZ4A, Abarth 500, ZZW30, ND2 RF
Unless you're a super Honda fanboy, I don't see why you would go with a NSX Type S over a R8 V10+ or a 992 911 GTS or even a AMG GT-R.
AMG GT R is definitely my pick. Looks, sounds, and feels the wildest of the list.

I wonder how many other people are in this boat or will be soon: got so tired of waiting for FL5 and worrying about ADMs that they just jumped ship to a competing product.

sackofcheese

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic SI, 1994 Miata (track toy)
Engine, as far as I can tell only 1 guy had his motor fail.
While there have been quite a few documented cases of excess RTV (like insane excess) it appears to still be small sample size and all the reports of oil pans dropped have been from early models. I wouldn't let that deter you, it's still a great car. Plus that's why you have warranty.
My friend paid his Toyota dealer to check and they found 90% blockage in the pickup. They are replacing the motor under warranty, but it's been on order for 2 months. He had a very early build though. (First GR86 in the area)

Whitboy82

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
Would you guys consider the new RS3, if it meant losing out on the manual?

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
No, to me the manual is so integral to the experience. RS3 lands up being another soulless pocket rocket similar to the beemer chassis with a b58. I am (contrary to others) a Honda fanboy and smitten w the type R so maybe my opinion can’t be trusted completely.

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
I'd take the rs3 in a heartbeat. Equally as much want for me. But canada doesn't get the new gen, so blah...

Whitboy82

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
Yeah, I love the Type R, and I love manuals, I do have a RS3 at MSRP though, and it is honestly a little tougher to choose between, than I thought. Not sure if I will pull the trigger, but I like options, and the one thing the RS3 has, that the Type R doesn’t, is a symphony of sound…

tuhroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK8, 13 ISF, 95 K20 EG8, 98 ITR, 95 EG8, 23 FL5
one of my guys told me they just took in a one owner white f80 m3 cs with 17k on the clock, pristine…has me thinking

One of the only cars I’d consider going for over an fl5 lol

hhkb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
I'm definitely one of those guys. At some point, you just have to get into something and live life. Can't be waiting forever.
one of my guys told me they just took in a one owner white f80 m3 cs with 17k on the clock, pristine…has me thinking

One of the only cars I’d consider going for over an fl5 lol
M3 CS is an entirely different price range!

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
Yeah, I love the Type R, and I love manuals, I do have a RS3 at MSRP though, and it is honestly a little tougher to choose between, than I thought. Not sure if I will pull the trigger, but I like options, and the one thing the RS3 has, that the Type R doesn’t, is a symphony of sound…
If you want handling type R. If you want outright speed, comfort, unique engine and sound, RS3.

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
I'm definitely one of those guys. At some point, you just have to get into something and live life. Can't be waiting forever.
Same, life is too short. If its a car you want and have the means to then get it. The extra money wont make a difference in the long term.

tuhroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK8, 13 ISF, 95 K20 EG8, 98 ITR, 95 EG8, 23 FL5
M3 CS is an entirely different price range!
It’s actually priced well at $65k, however I can probably get it about $58k
Sponsored