• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Best First Mod for FL5

MKC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
…without voiding your warranty: K&N Air Filter

Other contenders:

1. Catback exhaust?
2. Springs (SPOON, Swift, H&R….)

Any other engine / suspension mod that won’t void the warranty?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Chilly613

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL1 Civic Sport Touring 6MT
Build Thread
Link
They're not gonna void your warranty on the spot. Certain things that may void it, but generally its only an issue when a part or something fails and an aftermarket mod is the cause of that failure. In CA we have shitty CARB rules that we have to navigate around, but other than that, mod it how you want if you can.

Its called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Injen has a decent summary on it.

https://injen.com/ft-2436-magnuson-moss-warranty-act.html#

And if you're worried about it you can always revert it back before getting service.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MKC

MKC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
If I slap a PRL inlet pipe on the car, wouldn’t they be able to claim that it affects how the engine perform in ways that’s different from stock?

They can deny any engine warranty work as a result?

OP
OP
MKC

MKC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
And if you're worried about it you can always revert it back before getting service.
That won't work with Hondata. I believe it’s traceable even when one flashes it back to factory setting.

I want Hondata so bad….

Last edited:

Chilly613

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
If I slap a PRL inlet pipe on the car, wouldn’t they be able to claim that it affects how the engine perform in ways that’s different from stock?

They can deny any engine warranty work as a result?
No, they're not gonna just pop you hood, see that during an oil change or something and void it unless its the direct cause of damage you need warranty work for. I myself have gone in for service with a bunch of different modifications from stock and was tuned and they didn't bat an eye. I'm sure others can probably say the same.

That would work with Hondata. I believe it’s traceable even when one flashes it back to factory setting.

I want Hondata so bad….
Id say to wait for them to come out with the Hondata CARB for the FL5 or Cobb Tuning gets their Accessport for the FL5. Or don't even mod it and just enjoy it as is and wait for the warranty to be up. lol

But to answer your original question, first mods in no particular order; Suspension, wheels and tires, tint, intake/air filter, ppf, intercooler, downpipe, and exhaust.

Last edited:

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
There seems to be a lot of these types of questions about "voiding the warranty" popping up- seems only natural as more and more people with FL5s/DE5s get their cars tuned and are seeing impressive results...

There does have to be evidence that the aftermarket parts/tune contributed to the failure, but it's also fair to say that virtually any problems with the drivetrain could easily be linked to the installation of aftermarket parts. If that's a chance you're willing to take, AND you have enough cash on hand to cover a repair in the event of a catastrophic failure- then and only then should you consider a tune or installing aftermarket engine parts.

It might help to watch Gridzilla's vids when he blew his turbo on track. He does a pretty good job of capturing the fear and panic that would almost certainly set in after something like that happened. Fortunately his ordeal didn't result in the need to replace an engine, but he probably knocked a couple years off his life with the stress lol- and not all of us have a YouTube channel with tons of subs to help cover some of the cost!

All that said, this seems like a personal choice but wheels and tires feels like a pretty safe option as a first mod.

hammeredsole

First Name
Mister
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Odyssey Elite, F150 Tremor, CRV Hybrid Sport-L
Do a 27Won Rear Motor Mount or another brand RMM. If you start adding power mods, you’ll definitely be thankful the RMM is there. It’s unobtrusive, easy to install, and I highly doubt it would cause concern for the dealer.
I am in agreement with this. I used a PowerFlex yellow insert on the RMM, and it feels much better and very similar to an actual aftermarket replacement RMM. I would encourage people to try this before they buy an RMM that is 6-8x the cost. I've done everything from solid Hasport mounts back in 2001, to current Hasport 62A, WindowWeld OEM, and these Powerflex on the FL5 and the GRC. For mixed street/track use, my $ is on the inserts for bang for the buck, NVH, and performance.

Honda Civic FL5 Type-R Lower Torque Mount Insert | PowerflexUSA

Vito.FL5

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 1997 civic Vti EK4, 1999 sedan
Rear sway bar.

or just drive the hell out of it

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
Downpipe, Hondata and a tune, Intercooler, Sprint air filter (sound), RSB,FSB, Titanium intake.

OP
OP
MKC

MKC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
All that said, this seems like a personal choice but wheels and tires feels like a pretty safe option as a first mod.
Can you stand the 4x4 look without a drop? 😬
Touching the suspension would void the suspension warranty lol
I doubt SPOON springs would do any harm to the stock suspension though

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24' Integra Type S
They're not gonna void your warranty on the spot. Certain things that may void it, but generally its only an issue when a part or something fails and an aftermarket mod is the cause of that failure. In CA we have shitty CARB rules that we have to navigate around, but other than that, mod it how you want if you can.

Its called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Injen has a decent summary on it.

https://injen.com/ft-2436-magnuson-moss-warranty-act.html#

People love to reference this but in reality is a pain in the ass to use it and rarely changes things.
They will just laugh at you.

If you are worried about warranty issues just leave it stock.

Chilly613

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
People love to reference this but in reality is a pain in the ass to use it and rarely changes things.
They will just laugh at you.

If you are worried about warranty issues just leave it stock.
Me personally, I'm not worried about warranty at all. It is a pain in the ass to get something repaired under warranty. I very much agree that if someone is worried about the warranty to just leave it stock as well.
Sponsored