• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

C&D - CTR vs GR vs GolfR

TimeRacer

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Prelude
Kind of interesting just looking at numbers. Seems up through say 110mph the FL5 is the fastest accelerating [sans launch] but once you hit that range the Golf R is faster in both best gear and top gear by significant margins. Would need to make a gear chart to really see how those speeds match up to the gearing or if this is the penalty of the aero on the FL5.

The eye popping one though is on whatever this C/D 275-mi trip is they got 14, 13 and 16mpg? Think that's nearly what people report for their track refill mileage. Wonder if this 275-mi trip is standardized in any way. AND wow, look at that 1-ft roll out for the GR Corolla. At least, as I understand C&D testing, is the difference between first vehicle movement and the time the car 'moves' 1-ft (out of drag strip lights). .4 sec for this seems wild for an AWD car as it's slower than the CTR (FWD) and doubles the Golf R. Will be interesting to see 60ft times for the GR Corolla as more people get them in hand.

Last edited:

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Yeah I always take C&D tests with a little grain of salt. It would be great to see how this info aligns with Motor Trend’s. I think MT tends to be a bit more accurate and comprehensive in general. C&D is maybe more fun to read.

TDC50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Type R, C7 Corvette Grand Sport, Alfa Gulia
Not sure why I thought the Golf R would be so much faster. DCT acceleration #’s have probably swayed me.

In the end none of these three cars are about acceleration #’s anyhow, but it is fun to discuss

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
What’s interesting and impressive to me is that the FL5, though doesn’t launch as hard (understandably), catches up quickly to the two all wheel drive cars by the 60mph mark. 😳

M!!!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5, GR Yaris, FJ Cruiser, Jimny, NA and ND Miata
GR Corolla comes with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tires? Not 4S? (I'm wondering because the GR Yaris comes standard with 4S)

OP
OP

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24' Integra Type S
Not sure why I thought the Golf R would be so much faster. DCT acceleration #’s have probably swayed me.

In the end none of these three cars are about acceleration #’s anyhow, but it is fun to discuss
The one in this test is manual.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
The VW 14.5 gallon fuel tank is 😍

TimeRacer

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Prelude
GR Corolla comes with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tires? Not 4S? (I'm wondering because the GR Yaris comes standard with 4S)
The GR Corolla comes with the PS4 tires and not the PS4s. Likely due to budget and the fact even on the less sticky rubber the car has issues with rotation (not having it) hence giving it stickier rubber likely will only find the car can't, even more so, on power rotate. The lighter weight and shorter wheelbase of the GR Yaris probably can make up a decent bit for that.

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
I like that the Anniversary Golf R has moonroof delete, that probably drops 80 lbs and improves headroom, though that’s not really an issue on Golfs.

if they would improve the interface I’d consider it, but not sure they can do that easily.

M!!!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5, GR Yaris, FJ Cruiser, Jimny, NA and ND Miata
The GR Corolla comes with the PS4 tires and not the PS4s. Likely due to budget and the fact even on the less sticky rubber the car has issues with rotation (not having it) hence giving it stickier rubber likely will only find the car can't, even more so, on power rotate. The lighter weight and shorter wheelbase of the GR Yaris probably can make up a decent bit for that.
Ooh. That's a surprisingly pedestrian choice of rubber for the GRC
Sponsored