• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

vs GR Corolla

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
Who cares about drag racing these cars? Both will get destroyed by an average EV.

it’s like two goldfish in a shark tank arguing over who’s bigger.

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
I think the U-DRAG is actually a nice alternative to a standard drag race. I don't think a standard EV would be able to do the braking, turn, and back to acceleration but I could be wrong.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Good review and pretty much follows what folks have been saying the last few months. GRC is more raw and playful. CTR is more refined and technical. Both are great in their own ways. Because they are so different, it’d be ideal to get both (as some people have)! 😂

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
Good review and pretty much follows what folks have been saying the last few months. GRC is more raw and playful. CTR is more refined and technical. Both are great in their own ways. Because they are so different, it’d be ideal to get both (as some people have)! 😂
GRC has a rear center armrest! 😁

but no front arm rest. 😤

Fix that and I’ll be tempted since it’ll be a blast in Massachusetts snow.

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: K20Z1 EK Civic, Golf R Mk7.5, B8 RS4
Build Thread
Link
You guys gets the GR Yaris in Australia, right?

I've seen a couple of them in Taiwan, I've yet to see a GR Corolla, though I think it's sold here.

No Honda cars are available in Taiwan anymore, sadly. Although I prefer our Focus ST-Line to the Civic Sport hatch I owned. It's not as much fun but a vastly superior family car, smoother, quieter, much more comfortable, awesome stereo etc.
Thats right, and in the company of the GR Yaris, the GR Corolla makes even less sense.
Its essentially the same powertrain in a 200kg heavier package...
I know which one I'd take :D

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
Thats right, and in the company of the GR Yaris, the GR Corolla makes even less sense.
Its essentially the same powertrain in a 200kg heavier package...
I know which one I'd take :D
I saw another GR Yaris here in Taiwan yesterday, I love it - it's not pretty but looks like a rally car.

I get the GR Corolla is more practical, but it's such a gimped design with the tiny back seat and trunk that it's not exactly practical. In Japan we rented a 5 door Yaris and it had plenty of room actually, I was ferrying 5 people around in it (mostly kids).

So the GR Corolla is a tough sell vs the super practical ITS or CTR. I'm sure it's awesome in snow, but in Massachusetts you rarely drive in snow, since it gets plowed and covered in salt so quickly.

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
Well done! :rofl:

The armrest is overrated. Didn't have one in my M3 CS and I survived. I rarely if ever use it in the FL5.:drive:
I use it all the time in my Focus, but Taiwan is traffic hell. The kids love the rear armrest, that's a major negative, but I'm guessing I can find something to put back there, like an armrest that mounts to the center seat - they sell one for older Civics.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
The GR Corolla, and definitely the Yaris before it, are special...but the Type R is just a better overall car, period.
Both great no doubt, I have not driven either the GR Corolla or Yaris.

Just looking at the various professional reviews and track tests, there was a significant jump in performance from the base to the Circuit due to the added diff, and again from the Circuit to the unicorn that is the hardcore Morizo version.

Some reviewers seemed disappointed when they drove it /tracked it, others loved it. The fact it exists at all is a blessing for enthusiasts. Nice to have a choice.

It weighs not much for an AWD car, but then again it is three cylinders. And with a shorter wheelbase and minimal rear legroom. Not the daily that the FK8 is. And apparently, not even that easy to drift. And as for pulling out of corners, never have an issue with that in the Type R.
Different driving technique needed for sure, but just as effective.

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
The GR Corolla, and definitely the Yaris before it, are special...but the Type R is just a better overall car, period.
Both great no doubt, I have not driven either the GR Corolla or Yaris.

Just looking at the various professional reviews and track tests, there was a significant jump in performance from the base to the Circuit due to the added diff, and again from the Circuit to the unicorn that is the hardcore Morizo version.

Some reviewers seemed disappointed when they drove it /tracked it, others loved it. The fact it exists at all is a blessing for enthusiasts. Nice to have a choice.

It weighs not much for an AWD car, but then again it is three cylinders. And with a shorter wheelbase and minimal rear legroom. Not the daily that the FK8 is. And apparently, not even that easy to drift. And as for pulling out of corners, never have an issue with that in the Type R.
Different driving technique needed for sure, but just as effective.
Everyone, myself included, was hoping the GRC would be the more raucous car, a modern STI or EVO, with a better sounding engine - some 3 cylinders can sound cool. But based on reviews it doesn't seem to be much more fun than the Type R, unless maybe it's offroad or on snow. And the engine maybe sounds a little better but not enough to make up for the impracticality.

The hatch body style is a big bonus for me, and I love the 2024 in blue with Morizo wheels.
Sponsored