• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Can 3-seat rear bench from Civic hatchback be fitted to FL5?

fredzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sienna, GR86, FL5
I would have had the mod done last weekend, and now this weekend but ridiculous shit keeps happening with the parts recycler I bough the seats from. They got cyberattacked, then once they were back online some guy mistakenly took my parts. Now I'm waiting for him to bring them back! Assuming I ever get the parts I'm under $250 all in. I figured on closer to $500 with the prices I've seen on eBay so it will have been worth the hassle.

I'll probably use the 5th seat all of 5-10 times per year. As my DD, the 3rd line in its job description is "haul family when needed." It can't do that for me with 4 seats.
Sponsored

Bigfx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 civic type r
I would have had the mod done last weekend, and now this weekend but ridiculous shit keeps happening with the parts recycler I bough the seats from. They got cyberattacked, then once they were back online some guy mistakenly took my parts. Now I'm waiting for him to bring them back! Assuming I ever get the parts I'm under $250 all in. I figured on closer to $500 with the prices I've seen on eBay so it will have been worth the hassle.

I'll probably use the 5th seat all of 5-10 times per year. As my DD, the 3rd line in its job description is "haul family when needed." It can't do that for me with 4 seats.
which parts did you use? Looking to do this soon

fredzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sienna, GR86, FL5
which parts did you use? Looking to do this soon
Go to car-part.com and search for 2022+ Civic rear seat. It searches a database of parts recyclers. Find a good listing and be sure it distinguishes between sedan and hatchback - most do - and then contact/buy. My brother flips vehicles and has bought tons of crap on there. Usually prices are as good as you'll find online, basically equal to pick-n-pull. The only catch is shipping is usually way more expensive so you want to find something close enough to drive to.

It seems like Fenix Parts has been buying up pick-n-pulls everywhere, or otherwise partnering with them to get them onto this database. I placed the order then a guy called me to confirm, texted me a link to pay. Once they pulled the parts and verified their condition they charged me and told me to come pick up. They even transferred the parts from where the donor car was to the closest Fenix location to me. It would have been crazy smooth all-around had I driven out to pick up 1 day sooner...

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Only if you won't need the center seat belt. Need the hatchback seat backs for that.
Not sure what the seatbelt difference is--does the hatchback have a built-in seatbelt? I figured any rear seat swap would require purchase of seatbelt parts from Honda.

fredzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sienna, GR86, FL5
Not sure what the seatbelt difference is--does the hatchback have a built-in seatbelt? I figured any rear seat swap would require purchase of seatbelt parts from Honda.
Yes the hatchback has the center seat belt inside the 60% side seat back. In the sedan the belt comes out of the rear shelf, no way to carry that over to the hatch. It's tough because a vast majority of what's out there is for sedan of course.

11th Gen Honda Civic Can 3-seat rear bench from Civic hatchback be fitted to FL5? 1710515353587-5a

Bigfx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 civic type r
Yes the hatchback has the center seat belt inside the 60% side seat back. In the sedan the belt comes out of the rear shelf, no way to carry that over to the hatch. It's tough because a vast majority of what's out there is for sedan of course.

1710515353587-5a.png
Ok that’s what I’m looking for trying to figure how to find it or look up part numbers

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2024 Civic Type R
Just to go back to the question on why Honda would remove the center seat, just my opinion, but I think it partly has to do with suspension design and tuning limitations. The main thing is that as you adjust spring rates, you're trying to balance the static ride height with different loads along with what spring rate is actually best for your handling goals.

If you want to carry more load like another passenger, then you need to accept that the rear will squat lower than the front, and your suspension engineer will object, saying that's going to alter that handling they worked so hard on. Maybe they can handle two passengers, not three.

The way you could fix this squat is to raise the rear spring rate. However, now you fixed the squat but you're altering the suspension tuning. The rear will also have a higher ride height if that extra passenger isn't there, and that spring rate plus higher ride height will make the car oversteer more.

You could shorten the now stiffer rear springs and preserve the same ride height, but now you need to alter the spring perches in the rear suspension to accommodate which means a custom part and more cost. Or you could use helper springs which is what coilover suspension kits use. Also more cost.

The stiffer rear spring will also be bouncier and rougher riding, and it was already at the upper limit of stiffness before adding the extra passenger, according to the test driver's feedback.

My point in all this is there's a cascade of effects from adding back the extra rear passenger, and the engineers probably decided that deleting the center seat was a reasonable compromise for most people in order to get all the other parameters to line up to achieve their goals.

fredzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sienna, GR86, FL5
I was fed up with looking for recycled parts and was going to go the new parts route. Until I realized the cushions and covers are separate. Huge $$$ for a full conversion. Not to mention most material is backordered with no ETA.

Just to go back to the question on why Honda would remove the center seat, just my opinion, but I think it partly has to do with suspension design and tuning limitations. The main thing is that as you adjust spring rates, you're trying to balance the static ride height with different loads along with what spring rate is actually best for your handling goals.

If you want to carry more load like another passenger, then you need to accept that the rear will squat lower than the front, and your suspension engineer will object, saying that's going to alter that handling they worked so hard on. Maybe they can handle two passengers, not three.

The way you could fix this squat is to raise the rear spring rate. However, now you fixed the squat but you're altering the suspension tuning. The rear will also have a higher ride height if that extra passenger isn't there, and that spring rate plus higher ride height will make the car oversteer more.

You could shorten the now stiffer rear springs and preserve the same ride height, but now you need to alter the spring perches in the rear suspension to accommodate which means a custom part and more cost. Or you could use helper springs which is what coilover suspension kits use. Also more cost.

The stiffer rear spring will also be bouncier and rougher riding, and it was already at the upper limit of stiffness before adding the extra passenger, according to the test driver's feedback.

My point in all this is there's a cascade of effects from adding back the extra rear passenger, and the engineers probably decided that deleting the center seat was a reasonable compromise for most people in order to get all the other parameters to line up to achieve their goals.
I'm all but certain the missing 5th seat has to do with tire load rating, which relates directly to maximum speed. I think in order to avoid an electronic speed governor or even crazier tires than it already uses, removing a 5th passenger and dropping the GVWR does the trick.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec

I'm not tracking this with 5 people in the car🤣

fredzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sienna, GR86, FL5
I did the conversion tonight. An easy job, still not done because the rear passenger side buckle receptacles I bought off eBay must be for sedan and the center buckle doesn't latch in. Thankfully figured it out before installing the buckles. Will order new from dealer tomorrow.

This whole project was cursed. The belt buckle thing was the last kick in the dick.

First the fiasco getting the parts from the recycler. Almost 10 hours total driving between the two trips I made to them - nobody was there for the first since everyone went home due to IT issues. Then some random guy held my seats hostage when he mistakenly took them and didn't want to come back until they had his correct seats (I get it.) The trim piece where the belt comes out of the seatback was missing, $40. The seats were filthy but fortunately cleaned up like new pretty easy (steam vac thing) save for the air freshener smell. Turns out the previous owner was a big air freshener enthusiast, dear God I hope it wears off.

AtmosFearik

First Name
FV
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'23 Type R, Gen 1 Audi R8 V10 Manual, E46 M3 6MT
I'm actually doing this conversion. I just received all the parts from a donor 2022 CIvic Hatchback that was totaled. The local parts recycler gave me everything(bottom cushion, R&L seatbacks, all the buckles and anchors for $225 shipped!
The process looks pretty straightforward. I could care less about insurance. The car was built for 5 passengers, and 90% of the time, it would only be 4 passengers or less, so don't get your panties in a bunch! 😆
I also bought the rear vent kit so my kids don't die from the heat on warm days! Yup, I'm a good parent!
Sponsored