• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Did a thing today... Resonator Delete

HRace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
If someone can post the kit when they get it, that would be great. MRT’s website is unclear (or I missed it) on how the kit attaches. Slip fit / clamps? Just curious how robust it is to longevity and no exhaust leaks etc. Sound and simplicity seems fantastic if it’s a solid kit.
Sponsored

davilla413

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Boost Blue CTR 05334, ‘04 S2K, ‘97 Prelude SH
@HRace I got mine yesterday via UPS. It is the pipe with hanger and is indeed slip fit with pretty standard exhaust band clamps at either end. Looks like the fit will be pretty tight and secure - might add a dab of exhaust paste just in case. They just posted the install video on their site (I'm adding it below). Should be pretty straight forward and I plan to do it on Saturday morning - will report back.

I will say the pipe itself is pretty standard 304 stainless. It was a little oily - but i just cleaned it up with some brake clean. After that I used prep spray and coated it in some high-temp ceramic exhaust coating.

I'll reserve my full comments until after the install.

Last edited:

Bazgab

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
@HRace I got mine yesterday via UPS. It is the pipe with hanger and is indeed slip fit with pretty standard exhaust band clamps at either end. Looks like the fit will be pretty tight and secure - might add a dab of exhaust paste just in case. They just posted the install video on their site (I'm adding it below). Should be pretty straight forward and I plan to do it on Saturday morning - will report back.

I will say the pipe itself is pretty standard 304 stainless. It was a little oily - but i just cleaned it up with some brake clean. After that I used prep spray and coated it in some high-temp ceramic exhaust coating.

I'll reserve my full comments until after the install.
Mine arrived yesterday as well. Same observations, very basic, somewhat oily 304 stainless that has the tubing mfg's markings still on it. Basic hanger booger welded to tubing. Definitely no piece of art but it should do the trick for $200. Looking to do the install tomorrow or Saturday.

I am disappointed that one of the cuts is made as close as possible to one side of the resonator that is being removed. Meaning that if you want to revert to stock all the way you will need to get that welded back together.

Last edited:

davilla413

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Bazgab yup, that’s why I sprayed it with some high-temp exhaust coating. Once I did that it looked nice IMHO. But doesn’t really matter since it’s gonna be under the car - haha.

davilla413

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t think many of us would take our cars to just any muffler shop. Maybe I’m wrong. Also, I kinda like having a project to tackle. If I have to pay a bit more to have a piece designed to fit that I can install myself - then there is value in that to me.

davilla413

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@sashimi slip joints and clamps are pretty standard in a lot of aftermarket exhausts. To me, this is a low risk, fun Saturday morning project. That’s the great thing about modifying a car - anyone can do what interests them, based on their tastes and risk tolerance.

But yeah I’ll take my slip joint “hack job” over Midas any day.

davilla413

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Installed the resonator delete kit today. Ended up borrowing someone’s lift. Not a lot of clearance to do this on the ground with ramps / jack stands.

Install took 20min, and was pretty straight forward. I didn’t see the need to remove the pipe at the exhaust flange as in the install video. Undoing the rear exhaust hangers gave me enough flexibility. Fit up well and it feels nice and secure - no leaks.

Sound is a touch more aggressive on cold start. No drone at speed as far as I could tell. You notice a more throaty sound on hard acceleration and off-throttle deceleration. The difference isn’t other worldly, just a bit more sound.

Overall, I’m happy with the part. As I mentioned it arrived a bit oily and there were still markings on the pipe, so I sprayed it with some high temp ceramic exhaust coating.

11th Gen Honda Civic Did a thing today... Resonator Delete IMG_2336

Eventually I’ll probably pick up a full exhaust, but that’s not a priority for me right now - got a lot of other things I want to do first.

Bazgab

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
Installed the resonator delete kit today. Ended up borrowing someone’s lift. Not a lot of clearance to do this on the ground with ramps / jack stands.

Install took 20min, and was pretty straight forward. I didn’t see the need to remove the pipe at the exhaust flange as in the install video. Undoing the rear exhaust hangers gave me enough flexibility. Fit up well and it feels nice and secure - no leaks.

Sound is a touch more aggressive on cold start. No drone at speed as far as I could tell. You notice a more throaty sound on hard acceleration and off-throttle deceleration. The difference isn’t other worldly, just a bit more sound.

Overall, I’m happy with the part. As I mentioned it arrived a bit oily and there were still markings on the pipe, so I sprayed it with some high temp ceramic exhaust coating.

IMG_2336.jpeg

Eventually I’ll probably pick up a full exhaust, but that’s not a priority for me right now - got a lot of other things I want to do first.
I didn't take any pics but I installed mine today as well and had the same thoughts on the outcome. I have a set of Quickjacks so getting the car high enough wasn't an issue thankfully.

After you mentioned coating the pipe with some high temp paint I took a look as I thought I still had some and I did. So mine looked exactly like yours does in the pic.

For anyone else doing the install, something similar to the Milwaukee Hackzall I used with a plumbing heavy metal 6" blade made short work of cutting through the exhaust.

S2000_Europe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
The only part that I do not like is the need to cut the OEM Exhaust. If you want to return to stock is going to cost you at least $400.

-$200 the front pipe
-$100 Exhaust shop
-$400 OEM Exhaust (returning to stock)
+$100 selling the front pipe

total cost $600 is still less that you would lose selling your used aftermarket exhaust when you return to stock

S2000_Europe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Something I noticed that I thought was interesting is it looks like the FK8 doesn't have that front resonator:
1690288461900.png

But the FL5 does:
1690288543027.png

ITS (looks more like FK8):
1690288587998.png

So it's kind of odd since the FK8 is so quiet that the FL5 and and ITS sound so much better without a front resonator. But they do (maybe because of the valved center pipe?) so I guess that's all the matters!
Regarding the FK8 that is weird, all the used FK8 exhausts that I saw in Ebay have the 2 resonators.

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
I removed the larger resonator, and this past weekend installed the TSP (aka PRL) catted downpipe, and that made the tone slightly deeper, and added a few burbles every once in while. I'm mostly happy with the sound. I'm afraid to remove the other, smaller resonator for fear of introducing drone (it's pretty much drone-free right now). The last thing I'll probably do with the exhaust is get the PRL frontpipe and see how that goes.
Ever end up with the PRL front pipe? If so how does it sound?

arbies

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BB Type-R
Ever end up with the PRL front pipe? If so how does it sound?
I decided not to go the front pipe route. I'm working with a muffler shop to pick out replacement tips (replacing the stock tips) and removing the other, smaller resonator next.
Sponsored