• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Don’t Pay Markups

fredzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sienna, GR86, FL5
My back up is the GRC also. Was able to get deposit in back in March. The core should be pretty cheap imo. Modding the crap out of it just bring it to the R's MSRP or close to.

I might try to trade the GRC for a R, if it doesn't do it and I can't get a R lol.
I’ve heard some things that lead me to believe it will be surprisingly cheap. If a core with cold weather pack clocks in around $35k I will be obligated to buy one. I wouldn’t even bother selling the WRX for top dollar, just trade it and pay the difference cash. Maybe I’ll fall in love with it. If not… turning it into a CTR won’t be too hard.
Sponsored

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
I’ve heard some things that lead me to believe it will be surprisingly cheap. If a core with cold weather pack clocks in around $35k I will be obligated to buy one. I wouldn’t even bother selling the WRX for top dollar, just trade it and pay the difference cash. Maybe I’ll fall in love with it. If not… turning it into a CTR won’t be too hard.
Great minds think alike. In Canada all cores only come fully loaded. Should be around the $35k-$38k USD converted.

Would 100% need a spoiler, Recaro seats, larger wheels etc to make it look right inside and out. Still hoping my dealership gets a CE though.

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Honda Acty
How bad is it your region? I can get a 2007 yellow with like 20k miles for about 42K USD ironically enough.

But again, wife no go.

Can't bring myself to spend that as I'm going to nearly DD it so the value would plumet. If I paid that I'd feel like I'd have to be super selective when I pulled it out of the garage.

rui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EG6, AP1, FL5
Can't bring myself to spend that as I'm going to nearly DD it so the value would plumet. If I paid that I'd feel like I'd have to be super selective when I pulled it out of the garage.
YMMV but IMO the S2000 isn't a good daily driver. It's very noisy and rattly. But driving it spiritedly, what a feeling...
IMO the CTR and S2000 complement each other perfectly.

fredzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sienna, GR86, FL5
That’s it. One thing I know for sure is I will not tie up money in any car as an investment that I’ll hesitate to drive. If I get a car, it will be to drive, not occupy 100 square feet of garage space while earning me a weak ROI.

This was how the idea of the GR86 clicked for me. I’m gonna keep it out of the snow and salt, but otherwise it’s gonna get worked.

Toprarnen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IS350
This was how the idea of the GR86 clicked for me. I’m gonna keep it out of the snow and salt, but otherwise it’s gonna get worked.
Any concerns about the subie-sourced engine reliability?

I'm trying to get over my reservations and see if it's something I should put on my list

rui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EG6, AP1, FL5

I'm trying to get over my reservations and see if it's something I should put on my list
Have you heard about the ongoing "RTVgate"?
Pretty much everyone who has looked found RTV partially blocking their oil pickup tube on the new generation twins. Definitely no Honda (sadly)...

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car

There are already known issues. Overuse of silicon in the engine clogging the oiling system, make engine go boom boom.

Will never own a Subaru made engine vehicle ever.

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
Have you heard about the ongoing "RTVgate"?
Pretty much everyone who has looked found RTV partially blocking their oil pickup tube on the new generation twins. Definitely no Honda (sadly)...
Damn u, beat me to it. Curse u!!!

• Haha
Reactions: rui

fredzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sienna, GR86, FL5
Yeah that’s it. Subie boxer… not perfect by any means. But you get a good one and take care of it and it’ll run strong forever.

Probably?

The RTV issue was likely solved in the spring but it’s unnerving. Most Subaru engines (really most modern engines) use RTV in the same way without issue so :dunno:

I’m not subscribed to the idea that the current generation ICE vehicles are the end of the road. But it’s hard to see anyone getting it as right as Subaru and Toyota did again in whatever time is left. The 2nd gen twins will go down as drivers car legends.

Z3N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 FK8 CTR
My back up is the GRC also. Was able to get deposit in back in March. The core should be pretty cheap imo. Modding the crap out of it just bring it to the R's MSRP or close to.

I might try to trade the GRC for a R, if it doesn't do it and I can't get a R lol.
Started doing more research on the GRC after I read this. The fact they were able to push that much power out of that 3-cylinder is pretty cool. Not to mention that with the weight savings from it, they were able to fit it with a heavy AWD drivetrain at a mere 3,186 lbs curb weight. That's a sweet power:weight ratio for a 300hp hot hatch with a torque diff AWD system. 👍

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
Started doing more research on the GRC after I read this. The fact they were able to push that much power out of that 3-cylinder is pretty cool. Not to mention that with the weight savings from it, they were able to fit it with a heavy AWD drivetrain at a mere 3,186 lbs curb weight. That's a sweet power:weight ratio for a 300hp hot hatch with a torque diff AWD system. 👍
The engine is a gem (it was originally built specifically for the rally stage in the GRY).

Its overbuilt to Shits like the 2JZ. The GRC is also getting upgraded pieces over the GRY to hold more boost etc. All things considered, it should be reliable as hell. There were some tranny and diff overheating issues in the GRY, but I think toyota addressed them.

Should be a great car, just doesn't look all that great. Def needs alot of mods to make it as pretty as the FL5. Wing, wheels, coils, some more aero etc.

Last edited:

Z3N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 FK8 CTR
Speaking of curb weights......

The documented weight #s we have on the FL5 have me convinced they could have done a bit more to lower the weight of the FL5.

The GVWR of the FL5 is pic'd at 3968 lbs.

11th Gen Honda Civic Don’t Pay Markups 2023 Civic Type R GVWR weight

The FK8 GVWR is 3880 lbs
That's an 88 lb. increase in weight for the FL5

Using 306hp from the NA spec'd FK8 (306/3880 = ?/3968) the FL5 would need to hit a minimum of 312.94hp to match the power:weight ratio of the FK8, in other words, a bump of 6.94hp.

Current power figures are unknown, but if we assume the ~10hp increase being thrown around, that's not much more. It's still a better power:weight over the FK8, but methinks the FL5 needed a better design diet.

citrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CZ4A, Abarth 500, ZZW30, ND2 RF
Not sure if comparing the GVWR like that is super fair, but I would've liked to see FL5 right at or just below 3,000 lbs.

I wonder how much can come out without compromising comfort too much.
Sponsored