• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Driving the DE5

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
yes, I’m ready to buy. I was only dragging my feet recently because I thought the $30k I had set aside for the CTR was going to have to go towards IVF but God is good! 🙌🏼
I traded my DE5 for my FL5 and don't regret either car, but for what it's worth, the leatherette material in the DE5 is more forgiving with kid messes.

Today, you may be saying the kid won't ride in the DE5 or the FL5.... but things change, and kids are messy. Either way you go, invest in TuxMats.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Nikw91

Nikw91

First Name
Nik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GMC SIERRA 1500 Duramax
Absolutely, 100% this. I love my ITS because it's a true do-it-all car. It is my daily, and my track car, and it does both equally well (despite not having the CTR seats, if you can believe it).

Not that it is a terrible option, but I don't see the point in mandating a sedan if you don't have that extra requirement. A90 Supra is the first place I'd look, assuming the car had to be new. It's like, categorically better than the FL5 especially if power is something you enjoy.

But honestly, as a dedicated track/weekender? I'd look used. E36, any Porsche, ZL1, GT350, M2, Coyote-swapped Fox Body 🤡, the list goes on. Better value, less stress about tracking a new car, no warranty to worry about for modifications... whatever, I've said my piece.

1712942383308-5v.png

Now if I can get people to stop piling on to trash the DE5... :confused1:

edit- I just noticed the reference to the bolt on and tune. WTF? It has nothing to do with the fat guy sitting next to you and everything to do with that...

And an RS3 is "too small" but an FL5 isn't?

What's going on with this board lately... also my attention to detail is terrible. I think it's been ABPDE5 pointing obvious things out that I miss twice in the last couple days.
Obviously the mods helped too but 10% extra weight in one passenger does make a difference lol

I test drove a Focus RS, GT350 and a roushcharged 5.0 and just didn’t enjoy them. And yes, even though they are similar in size, the RS3 did feel smaller for whatever reason and not manual.

I’ve owned a ZL1 and 2019 full bolt on STI and enjoyed the STI a lot more. The sti was more fun because you shifted more and better visibility. The ZL1 was fun in a straight line but still spun bad on a 60mph pull on MTs, plus it got around 8-10 mpg which had me filling up every 150 miles or less along with random problems and heat soak here in Florida.

ABPDE5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type-S
Obviously the mods helped too but 10% extra weight in one passenger does make a difference lol

I test drove a Focus RS, GT350 and a roushcharged 5.0 and just didn’t enjoy them. And yes, even though they are similar in size, the RS3 did feel smaller for whatever reason and not manual.

I’ve owned a ZL1 and 2019 full bolt on STI and enjoyed the STI a lot more. The sti was more fun because you shifted more and better visibility. The ZL1 was fun in a straight line but still spun bad on a 60mph pull on MTs, plus it got around 8-10 mpg which had me filling up every 150 miles or less along with random problems and heat soak here in Florida.
If visibility is a concern, Supra is out for sure. Even looking out of the front of that thing is like peering through a bunker.

OP
OP
Nikw91

Nikw91

First Name
Nik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If visibility is a concern, Supra is out for sure. Even looking out of the front of that thing is like peering through a bunker.
Supras do look cool. I do want a 4 door because I can justify it more with the wife lol. Here are some of old cars. My name on the plate days 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

I know cars and what I like/want. That’s why I’m looking at the FL5

11th Gen Honda Civic Driving the DE5 IMG_0346
11th Gen Honda Civic Driving the DE5 IMG_7085
11th Gen Honda Civic Driving the DE5 IMG_2085

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nikw91

Nikw91

First Name
Nik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I traded my DE5 for my FL5 and don't regret either car, but for what it's worth, the leatherette material in the DE5 is more forgiving with kid messes.

Today, you may be saying the kid won't ride in the DE5 or the FL5.... but things change, and kids are messy. Either way you go, invest in TuxMats.
what made you do that trade?

DRGN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 FL5 CTR
But honestly, as a dedicated track/weekender? I'd look used. E36, any Porsche, ZL1, GT350, M2, Coyote-swapped Fox Body 🤡, the list goes on. Better value, less stress about tracking a new car, no warranty to worry about for modifications... whatever, I've said my piece.
Clearly the man needs a CRV hybrid

BigBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
had a FL5, then DE5 and back in a FL5.

DE5 is the far better long distance driver and daily. The sound deadening and adjustable seats and superior sound system, along with exhaust. I could easily drive the DE5 from the Northeast to FL, the Civic not so easy.

BUT the FL5 speaks more to me, even though i'm middle aged, i just like the look of the FL5 better, and there's a certain something in the suspension tuning that makes driving it better, and the dash along with LogR make it even better for track duty.

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
what made you do that trade?
Both cars were MSRP, I liked the DE5, but it was partly my choice because I couldn’t get ahold of the FL5. A nearby dealership had my name come up on their list for an allocation in Championship White (my ideal color) and we negotiated a great trade on my DE5 because their sales manager wanted it.

In the end, I think I lost $1,800 or $2,800, but it was worth it to get the car I wanted in the first place.

AZCWTypeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Type R
A couple months ago I test drove a 2021 FK8 and loved it but they wanted $46k OTD and I said no way.

Fast forward to yesterday and I test drove a 2024 integra type S with 5k miles. The interior felt so tame without the all the red. The seats didn’t feel as nice as the type r seats and the suspension felt good but still kinda soft.

I’m looking for a sports car and it just didn’t give me that feeling enough or as much as the type r. It also felt noticeably slower although my car salesman was at least 300 pounds plus I’m 210 doesn’t help.

it’s a solid deal at $46,500 plus tax tag so $50k OTD but I think I’m going to pass.

Has anyone else drove a type s and felt the same way? Or should I still get it? Looking for opinions!

IMG_7061.jpeg

IMG_7056.jpeg
If the Type S doesn't feel fast in the sporty modes, I suspect it's running 87 (or lower) octane fuel. Typical for used car dealers from my experience.

OP
OP
Nikw91

Nikw91

First Name
Nik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If the Type S doesn't feel fast in the sporty modes, I suspect it's running 87 (or lower) octane fuel. Typical for used car dealers from my experience.
it pulled pretty good. I think it was my frame of mind. Walking up to the car I wasn’t as impressed as I was with the type r. Plus the car was crazy dirty on top of that. Plus the interior and seats weren’t as cool as the type r in my opinion and then I had 2 passengers in my passenger seat 😂😂😂

crepr12

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 ITS BlackonBlack
Get the Type R, if thats what you want..Both are good daily drivers/commuter cars

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
This: Get the FL5. Or even a used FK8. If you are already unimpressed and hesitant to buy the ITS, that feeling will only get worse over time.
Other than the sound of the ITS, can't think of anything it has that would be better.

Getting seats wrong is a deal killer right there. The FK8 and FL5 have some of the best seats around. They are not confused about their identity.

Acura is a great badge, and has produced some legends (no pun intended) - but you know what?

Sometimes the non-luxury division of a company puts out the better product.

Why?

Think about this - Honda sells a heck of a lot more Civics - of all models - than it does And the competition in the low and mid price range is brutal. Because that's where the money is.

So for the companies survival, much more important to get it right on the Honda cars.

So a lot of their best designers and engineers? Yeah, they are probably working on Hondas.

And that is why a company's best efforts are not always found in their higher priced luxury division.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Integra, '02 Corolla
Integras have terrible sound deadening. It's a dressed up civic and it shows. I'm only in one because I couldn't get an si. The DE5 is optioned lower than the A-Spec which is odd. It's like they were given the FL5 chassis but could only add so much. I'd go FL5 all day if I was upgrading.
Sponsored