• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

FL5 tuning issue

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I want to start this off by saying that I love Hondata. They are a great company with a fantastic product. And I the feel the same about same about Two Step Performance. The tuner for the Two Step base map is renown for fantastic work across many platforms. The car is very quick on this map!

Other than the Hondata, my car is otherwise stock down to the paper filter.

That said, there is an issue that I and a few others have where the car runs poorly during the first couple minutes only after a cold start. This exists on all the Hondata base maps as well as the Two Step map. The behavior exists between about 1500-2500rpm and throttle is not smooth and linear. For lack of a better explanation, its jerky and bucky in that RPM range during that short time.

I had chalked it to "This is just FL5 behavior", and began to deal with the fact that it is just going to run poorly for the first couple of minutes. But I didn't remember this behavior when stock, which has been nagging me in the back of my mind. I've posted about it before, but as the weather is beginning to cool, the issue is a bit more prevalent and lasts about a minute longer on cold mornings.

Today, I decided to do more testing, and reverted the ECU to stock. I got up to drive early this morning, and VOILA, the issue does not exist on the stock tune at all! The car runs perfectly and as it should. My expectation is there is a calibration choice that was made on all of these tunes that the car doesn't like when accessing its warmup maps, but is best for it when warm and during performance driving.

Any other thoughts or experiences on the issue would be valued.
Sponsored

D-RobIMW

www.imwtuned.com
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 RSX-S, '18 NSX, '21 TLX-S, '22 RDX ASpec
Hello!

The problem is actually the result of an early set of problems Hondata had with intake cam control that required some very unorthodox targets. They silently fixed the problem a couple of updates ago, and as a result, their own basemaps and the TSP1 need an update to fix this.

I have already prepared the fix, and it works; I'll be supplying an update for all TSP1 users shortly AND it will include some new features as well.

OP
OP
Noize

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Hello!

The problem is actually the result of an early set of problems Hondata had with intake cam control that required some very unorthodox targets. They silently fixed the problem a couple of updates ago, and as a result, their own basemaps and the TSP1 need an update to fix this.

I have already prepared the fix, and it works; I'll be supplying an update for all TSP1 users shortly AND it will include some new features as well.
Iā€™m laughing, because I sent Corey a FB messenger message on this and intake cam timing was my initial speculation based on tuning old Evos back in the day. I think itā€™s freaking awesome that it turned out to be right. šŸ¤£

Thank you so much for responding and proving to me that Iā€™m not crazy.

Last edited:

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
FWIW, my stock DE5 runs like absolute ass for the first few minutes after startup.

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: K20Z1 EK Civic, Golf R Mk7.5, B8 RS4
Build Thread
Link
I notice my stock FL5 is a bit wobbly when cold too FWIW. It feels as though there's a misfire but it does go away after a few minutes of running.

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
@Noize I noticed the exact same issue for the first time yesterday morning, but I couldnā€™t quite put my finger on itā€”it was about 45Ā° when we took off, and it seemed like I was missing quite a bit of uumph.

Funny enough, the feeling immediately reminded me of an issue I was experiencing with my DE5. It would go away pretty quickly, butI echo @optronix ā€˜s feelings. It seemingly ran rough until it was plenty warm.

OP
OP
Noize

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
@Noize I noticed the exact same issue for the first time yesterday morning, but I couldnā€™t quite put my finger on itā€”it was about 45Ā° when we took off, and it seemed like I was missing quite a bit of uumph.

Funny enough, the feeling immediately reminded me of an issue I was experiencing with my DE5. It would go away pretty quickly, butI echo @optronix ā€˜s feelings. It seemingly ran rough until it was plenty warm.
Mine is 100% a result of the tune; itā€™s not ā€œmissing oomphā€. Rather, too advanced intake cam timing causes it to feel erratic in low rpm situations after cold start for a couple of minutes.

Itā€™s clearly not a danger, it just feels unfinished as a result of a control issue that Hondata has now resolved per post number two above, and a correction should be pushed out soon that will resolve it.

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Mine is 100% a result of the tune; itā€™s not ā€œmissing oomphā€. Rather, too advanced intake cam timing causes it to feel erratic in low rpm situations after cold start for a couple of minutes.
Yeah I'm probably running the same tune--I had Javier from Hondata load the 93 octane tune on my FL5 when he was jailbreaking them in Marysville. Hopefully not something that'll cause damage, I can drive gingerly as it warms up, but I'll need to find a PC I can use to update the tune when a fix is available. Irritating the software isn't available for Mac.

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
There are other ways to get a windows OS at no cost but Iā€™m not trying to break any laws and get banned. Google can help you find those, though ;)
A legit free trial is good enough for me! Thank you for your help!
Sponsored