• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Fuel Grade

MyFirstHonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si
What fuel grade are you running in your Si? 91 is recommended but 87 is acceptable.
Sponsored

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
We recommend 93/91, whatever the best available is. If you are considering power modifications, you will find premium is required.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I always run the recommended fuel grade. Pinching a couple of dimes at the pump (to fill up on a grade that is lower than the manufacturer’s recommendation) is a risk that could cost you more money down the road in repairs. At the end of the day, you only end up paying $2 or $3 dollars more to fill up the tank. It’s part of the cost of owning a fun, performance vehicle versus a boring econobox.

Dopenutz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 civic si
Run 91 minimum. Ive seen what 87 does to these engines with time and they usually fail prematurely and thats on stock power.

V3N0M_VZL4

First Name
Mauricio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic SI
here 93, please do not cheap gasoline this will cost you more in repairs, check the gas lid or the owners manual for more details :thumbsup:

OP
OP
MyFirstHonda

MyFirstHonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si
here 93, please do not cheap gasoline this will cost you more in repairs, check the gas lid or the owners manual for more details :thumbsup:
I checked the gas lid before I made the post. Either grade is acceptable. Just curious what everyone else uses.

11th Gen Honda Civic Fuel Grade 63228100-B9A2-4006-8D44-E4FE23C78A75

CivicR38

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 SGP Type R #4360
I'd never just put 87 in a turbo charged car.....just not worth it in the long run. A full fill with 93 costs me like 30 bucks, an extra 10 bucks a week to preserve the engine and performance....worth it....

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24' Integra Type S
For those that say: "But but the ECU is programmed to retard ignition to allow lower grade fuel"

Let me tell you something.

When you realize that knocks need to occur in order for the ECU to dial back timing then you will understand that using the recommended grade is the way to go.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
I like to cut my fuel with water to save money and I figure it performs similar to adding a meth kit.😉

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
For those that say: "But but the ECU is programmed to retard ignition to allow lower grade fuel"

Let me tell you something.

When you realize that knocks need to occur in order for the ECU to dial back timing then you will understand that using the recommended grade is the way to go.
eh kind of. Modern knock strategy will pull timing across the entire load range and will stay that way for an indefinite period until higher octane is put in. It’s not like it’s constantly retarding it only after it detects knock.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I think the point is to use the recommended fuel grade whenever possible. Sure, one can choose to use the minimum fuel grade (safely) in a pinch. Not all filling stations carry 91+ octane, so it’s a nice convenience feature that the ECU can adjust for lower octane.

For instance, the owner’s manual for my ‘09 Si said to use 91+ octane or risk engine damage. There were times I pulled into the filling station only to have to get right back in my car and search for 91+ octane. It wasn’t a big deal and didn’t happen often, but it definitely would’ve been nice to be able to put 87 or 89 in it (on those rare occasions) and be on my way.

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24' Integra Type S
eh kind of. Modern knock strategy will pull timing across the entire load range and will stay that way for an indefinite period until higher octane is put in. It’s not like it’s constantly retarding it only after it detects knock.
And how it knows it has higher octane fuel?

There isn’t such thing as octane sensor.

The ECU has to keep testing by advancing timing and listening. In other words you are exposing the engine to unnecessary knocks all the time by using lower grade fuel.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
And how it knows it has higher octane fuel?

There isn’t such thing as octane sensor.

The ECU has to keep testing by advancing timing and listening. In other words you are exposing the engine to unnecessary knocks all the time by using lower grade fuel.
nobody knows the actual knock strategy unless you're a honda engineer that works on the ecu knock strategy. we're just all speculating how often the ecu attempts to advance the timing. for all we know, the ignition may need a restart after it has detected the first knock before it starts advancing again. the best you can do is log the ecu knock sensor and make some assumptions on the knock strategy algorithm.

the fact that honda has stated minimum is 87 means their ecu strategy accounts for the 87, and there won't be longterm negative effects.

i'm not suggesting you should put 87 only. just stating that these engines aren't going to blow up if an owner only puts 87.

on the other hand, if the owners manual stated that putting 87 would potentially damage the engine, then that's a different story. i believe the STI manual said something along those lines if i remember correctly.

aspitfyr

First Name
Sav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Si, '20 FC4 (sold)
Factory, 91+.
If you’re tuned, follow the tune guidelines.
Sponsored