• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Hey guys, I'm new here. Considering a Civic Si....

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Not much to add to the responses you've received.
I used to have a 2018 Hatch with Si springs and I was shocked how much better the new Si is for handling. Doesn't feel related at all.
lol every time I bring up how much the better it handles than the previous si I get laughed at. Everyone is so focused on the numbers the car makes versus the chassis/suspension changes. Even the stock tune as you said mimics an NA car so it wants to be revved out instead of dying after ~5500rpm like the previous si felt.

Have you ever tdriven a tuned 2022+ si even on the 18psi tune or hondata +3/6?
Sponsored

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
lol every time I bring up how much the better it handles than the previous si I get laughed at. Everyone is so focused on the numbers the car makes versus the chassis/suspension changes. Even the stock tune as you said mimics an NA car so it wants to be revved out instead of dying after ~5500rpm like the previous si felt.

No man, still have the KTuner but I'm afraid to tune it as I did with the Hatch.
I want it to last.
I became paranoid a tune will maybe cancel out the things Honda tuned in for Carbon deposits prevention, lol. ???
I have absolutely no basis for this but I noticed the exhaust tips don't get black as fast as the tuned Hatch ones. Could this have any relation to carbon deposits, lol.
How is the tune changing its character?

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
No man, still have the KTuner but I'm afraid to tune it as I did with the Hatch.
I want it to last.
I became paranoid a tune will maybe cancel out the things Honda tuned in for Carbon deposits prevention, lol. ???
I have absolutely no basis for this but I noticed the exhaust tips don't get black as fast as the tuned Hatch ones. Could this have any relation to carbon deposits, lol.
How is the tune changing its character?
Well, the tune will turn up the boost a bit more so youā€™ll notice much more torque in the midrange and a bit more top end. You can get a faster turbo spool and change the rev hang to have less or none at all. Thereā€™s a few other parameters you can change but with less rev hang and just the 18psi tune youā€™ll see an easy +30whp/wtq

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Well, the tune will turn up the boost a bit more so youā€™ll notice much more torque in the midrange and a bit more top end. You can get a faster turbo spool and change the rev hang to have less or none at all. Thereā€™s a few other parameters you can change but with less rev hang and just the 18psi tune youā€™ll see an easy +30whp/wtq
Do you mean a DIY tune or custom?
I tried a basemap just to disable the rev hang but didn't like the shifts and I wasn't comfortable to play with throttle padding , I think.

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Do you mean a DIY tune or custom?
I tried a basemap just to disable the rev hang but didn't like the shifts and I wasn't comfortable to play with throttle padding , I think.
Basemap.
Throttle padding is all up to how you drive. Some people like soft others like the middle option and I forgot what the most aggressive one was called. You can always do soft and itā€™ll be closest to stock.

Azkyrie

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Integra Type S
200hp is just not keeping up with the times and youā€™ll be getting lane locked and gapped by Camrys and Accords with ease.
This sounds like a horrible nightmare to wake up toā€¦gapped and locked by Camrys and Accords.

To think back in the day I dreamed about having an ITR with 195HP too lmao

thatonedaveguy

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24' CW Civic Type R #18788

Had a 2018 Si that was tuned, a 2019 Type R that was tuned, and a 22 Si that I still have that is tuned. 22 Si is a MUCH better car than the 18' Si and I loooved that car.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
When I bought my SI in 2017 there were no used Type R's available. No new ones either locally.
Not at less than $ 50K, if you were lucky.
So the CTR I originally wanted, or at least wanted to test drive, didn't happen until 2020.

Now you at least have a chance to test drive a used CTR, and pick one up for about the same money as a new SI.

Worth checking out.

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
OP, I think I have the closest experience to you. I had a 2016 GTI 2-door that developed the intake camshaft issue. Unfortunately, parts were backordered months. I sold it and bought a '24 Si.
I chose this car for the reliability, efficiency, and the fact that I just always wanted an Si. I agree with the other posters, don't buy this car with a markup. I had to travel 80 miles to a dealership in the boonies before I could find one at MSRP. The locals in that area were either:
a) only interested in trucks or SUVs.
b) had terrible credit.

Anyway, on to my comparison between the two cars.

Pros:
1. My GTI was a base, so it didn't have the e-differential that the higher trim models have. As a result, the limited slip differential in the Si feels amazing in a tight corner.
2. The manual transmission feels so much better. The GTI's was fine, but nothing beats a proper Honda stick. Much shorter throws, nicer default knob, and just a joy to use every time.
3. Much better mileage. I had to baby the GTI on the freeway to get anywhere near 35 mpg; the Si gets it easily.
4. The Si feels much better to wring out into the higher RPMs.
5. Adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist are underrated bangers especially on long freeway commutes.

Cons:
1. The GTI feels tighter and more composed north of 75 mph, and the NVH is much better to boot.
2. The audio system in the GTI is far and away better than the Si's, especially at freeway speeds.
3. Internal storage and ports: you know how the GTI has a sunglass holder and little compartments below the light switch and even under the driver's seat? None of that in the Si.
4. This one's more subjective but I always preferred hatchbacks over sedans.
5. The interior materials just feel and look better in the GTI. Everything feels tighter, and even 7 years into ownership, I never developed any annoying rattles and squeaks. I might be a lucky case though, since I have GTI owning friends that complain about it. The Si is still brand new and thus has no issues either, so we'll see how it holds up.
6. I can definitely feel the difference in torque numbers between the GTI and Si (258 vs 195), but it's not a dealbreaker for daily driving.

Oh and lastly, the quality of the backup camera is GARBAGE compared to the GTI.
I feel the same way about my Focus vs my 2020 Si - it's so much nicer inside, quieter, zero rattles, seat more comfortable (slightly), B&O stereo is world's better, and I love the hatchback (look and usability). As a family car in Taiwan (seats 4 comfortably) it's perfect.

But back in the US, with mostly just me driving it, I'd take the Si in a heartbeat, it's more fun and the shifter is awesome. it makes every drive fun.

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
This sounds like a horrible nightmare to wake up toā€¦gapped and locked by Camrys and Accords.

To think back in the day I dreamed about having an ITR with 195HP too lmao
Weight. if you put a 350 lb NFL lineman in the front seat of your old Type R, it felt slow.

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
My 185 hp sport touring has plenty of zip and passing power under 3k rpm with 3 people in the car.
It's like 400 lbs heavier than the old Type R, so weight has less effect, and it has more torque and flatter torque curve.

The old integras weren't that fast, it was just very involving and exciting cause of the light weight, the steering and road feel and the sounds the motor made. Cars aren't made like that anymore.

blu_fl5_ctr

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BOOST BLUE TYPE R
So...coming from a 2018 VW GTI, I am interested in a 22-24 Civic Si.
BUT a few things:

1. Dealer markup is like $4-5k.
2. The dealer wouldn't even let me test drive it, so...not really sure if I even like it?!

what do you guys like, love, don't like about your Si's?
I don't plan on modifying it. Going to be driving a lot and wanted a fun car.
Any complaints about the seats being stiff?

thanks!
the dealership I bought my Type R from, had an SI on the floor to, they had a 5,000 mu on it. , they had a 15k MU on the type R. Once I proved i was a qualified buyer, and serious, they bent over backwards to accommodate, and came waaaaay off the 15k mark up, down to 3500. So i did have to pay, but in long run, it helps hold the value on our cars.

blu_fl5_ctr

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BOOST BLUE TYPE R
this is a special car. i don't even like referring to it as a civic. the type R is far from your everyday civic. you just have to drive one to feel the uniqueness.
Sponsored