• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Hey guys, I'm new here. Considering a Civic Si....

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Like they said - it’s not a type R!
Agreed--these dealerships are clearly accustomed to people willing to pay markups because of production shortages and/or excitement around the Si being a "Type-R Lite".

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
Thanks - they offered my a lot for my trade in to offset the markup. But we are still off by a couple thousand. I just don't know if I even like the car yet since I haven't driven it. What do you guys like / not like about your Si?

Yes, the trade-in value is important. Have you checked online to see what you could sell it for with Carmax, etc? Check multiple places. Be absolutely sure of the offer you are getting for your trade-in.

Is the Si at that dealer a 2024 or a 23?
Most dealers have end-of-year goals that they are trying to make. The next couple of weeks will be a bunch of excellent deals. Right now, we are finding 5k over MSRP on the Type Rs... so, you shouldn't have anything near that for an Si. Please get that 2nd or 3rd opinion.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
So...coming from a 2018 VW GTI, I am interested in a 22-24 Civic Si.
BUT a few things:

1. Dealer markup is like $4-5k.
2. The dealer wouldn't even let me test drive it, so...not really sure if I even like it?!

what do you guys like, love, don't like about your Si's?
I don't plan on modifying it. Going to be driving a lot and wanted a fun car.
Any complaints about the seats being stiff?

thanks!
I drove a '17 SI for several years, so my two cents:
While not a Type R- which is what I traded it for- it was a blast to drive, even stock.
Seats were a fail after it had done miles on it. Maybe the 11th gen is better, maybe not.
Rev hang was annoying but not a deal killer.
Rare gear grinding, which I understand is solved in the 11th gen. Reliability, mileage, brakes, chassis, trunk space, all great.
Easy to rotate with good technique.
Very, very good acceleration in third or fourth ir even fifth. 2nd okay.
Not fast from a dig. I don't do stoplight races, but it matters pulling into a tight window in heavy, fast traffic from a stop. No issues on passing or merging on a highway. Honda tweaked the 11th gen, may be better in first but definitely don't buy a car you haven't driven. I got a test drive and below MSRP in 2017. Tgat was then. Find a used one for sale and you will have better luck even now. I never was offered a test drive in a new CTR- ecen by the dealership I bought my SI from. But did get one on the used CTR I bought from a dealer.
If you are not married to getting a new car, definitely look at what that money gets you in low mileage used cars.
Example: 2018 Type R, Certified Pre-Owned, with under 14,000 miles went for $35K in early 2020.
Or about the price of a new SI with even modest ADM.
So yeah, check out Acura or even used Type R's. Just make sure you go with a manual on any Acura so you have no regrets. Not an issue on an SI or Type R of course.
Good luck!

OP
OP

cperrin

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mountain Bike
I test drove a 2024 Integra A-Spec 6 Speed with about 4k miles on it. Nice car, but I was pretty underwhelmed at the performance. Just felt like it was missing 30-40 HP or so. I can't afford the type R, so I am moving on. Probably just going to find a used Accord Sport and call it a day.

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I test drove a 2024 Integra A-Spec 6 Speed with about 4k miles on it. Nice car, but I was pretty underwhelmed at the performance. Just felt like it was missing 30-40 HP or so. I can't afford the type R, so I am moving on. Probably just going to find a used Accord Sport and call it a day.
Understandable. If you can get the Accord with the 2.0T, I bet you'll be pleased. Just don't bother with that in manual form unless you plan on upgrading the shifter--it's not the tight Si/Type-R shifter--and there's no LSD.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Understood, let us know what you wind up with. Hopefully something that brings you joy and is not too big a pain in the wallet.

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Yeah if you’re coming from a GTI you’re for sure going to miss the acceleration. A lot of us end up tuning the si for that extra little bump in power. I’m actually surprised seeing you wanting to trade in your gti for civic si or integra. I was looking at an MK8 GTI before the 2022 si I got and ended up with the si because VW had a 7k mark up on the S model I wanted. I know a lot of people don’t want to tune a new car for warranty’s sake but down the road it’s nice to have that option if you do wind up changing your mind since the accord doesn’t have an LSD like the si/integra do. Highly recommend going to the dealer at the end of the month, if they haven’t met their sales quota you can score a decent deal on an si.

Sooner1

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR BB, 2015 Audi A3, 2023 CRV Touring Hybrid
I sold a '22 Accord 2.0T Sport to buy a '23 Si. The Accord is faster but the Si is WAY more fun to drive.
Agreed

I have not driven an Si so take this comment with a gain of salt...
I don't understand people steering the OP away from an Si. It gets amazing reviews as a driver's car and is by most considered to be one of the best, some say the best, enthusiast car under $30k. My brother has one as his company car and says it is the best bang for the buck car there is. He has owned some Audis, some Minis, and a track prepped 911. Simply can't go wrong with the Si unless you are comparing it to cars that cost significantly more.

GIChoe

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Civic Si
OP, I think I have the closest experience to you. I had a 2016 GTI 2-door that developed the intake camshaft issue. Unfortunately, parts were backordered months. I sold it and bought a '24 Si.
I chose this car for the reliability, efficiency, and the fact that I just always wanted an Si. I agree with the other posters, don't buy this car with a markup. I had to travel 80 miles to a dealership in the boonies before I could find one at MSRP. The locals in that area were either:
a) only interested in trucks or SUVs.
b) had terrible credit.

Anyway, on to my comparison between the two cars.

Pros:
1. My GTI was a base, so it didn't have the e-differential that the higher trim models have. As a result, the limited slip differential in the Si feels amazing in a tight corner.
2. The manual transmission feels so much better. The GTI's was fine, but nothing beats a proper Honda stick. Much shorter throws, nicer default knob, and just a joy to use every time.
3. Much better mileage. I had to baby the GTI on the freeway to get anywhere near 35 mpg; the Si gets it easily.
4. The Si feels much better to wring out into the higher RPMs.
5. Adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist are underrated bangers especially on long freeway commutes.

Cons:
1. The GTI feels tighter and more composed north of 75 mph, and the NVH is much better to boot.
2. The audio system in the GTI is far and away better than the Si's, especially at freeway speeds.
3. Internal storage and ports: you know how the GTI has a sunglass holder and little compartments below the light switch and even under the driver's seat? None of that in the Si.
4. This one's more subjective but I always preferred hatchbacks over sedans.
5. The interior materials just feel and look better in the GTI. Everything feels tighter, and even 7 years into ownership, I never developed any annoying rattles and squeaks. I might be a lucky case though, since I have GTI owning friends that complain about it. The Si is still brand new and thus has no issues either, so we'll see how it holds up.
6. I can definitely feel the difference in torque numbers between the GTI and Si (258 vs 195), but it's not a dealbreaker for daily driving.

Oh and lastly, the quality of the backup camera is GARBAGE compared to the GTI.

TypeRGirl

First Name
Leslie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5, na 88 RX7
Idk, your GTI has an extra 20hp and 68lb more torque, the Si might be a let down. Unless a fuel saving manual daily driver is what you’re in the market for?

I owned the FE1 for almost a year before I traded it in for my FL5. Yes, it ticked a lot of boxes for me in the cost and aesthetics/comfort department, but it was underwhelming in performance. 200hp is just not keeping up with the times and you’ll be getting lane locked and gapped by Camrys and Accords with ease.

The L15 engine is more focused on fuel economy (which was excellent btw and I really miss those mpgs) But for aggressive or spirited daily driving, you’ll be pushing it to its hilt almost every time and that worried me.

I’d often see wisps of steam on the windshield during traffic or long road trips. The hood would always feel hot af (even in the winter) from just regular driving, you didn’t even have to be on it. Makes me wonder why Honda US didn’t include a temp gauge.

And I couldn’t get used to the crazy short gearing! I drove nothing but 5 speed manuals for 20yrs and the FE1 had me bumping into the rev limiter like a newb on a daily basis. I had to curve my driving style and it made for underwhelming freeway merge on’s and downshifts -it always felt like I was either in too tight or boggy of a gear for the situation. I never have these gripes in the FL5, the gearing just makes sense.

Don’t get me wrong, the 11th gen Si is still a fun zippy car depending on one’s driving style and needs, it just wasn’t for me. I believe it doesn’t hold up to the Si reputation and nostalgia we all know and love so adjust your expectations accordingly and enjoy it for what it is if you decide to go thru with it. Best wishes! 🍀

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
You hit the nail on the head, @TypeRGirl . From a power perspective, the 11th gen Si isn’t a huge leap better than an 8th gen Si! Yes, the 8th gen is NA which is great. And yes, the 11th gen has more torque (and turbo). But the way you describe getting gapped by basically everyone and not having enough power to make confident maneuvers at times, is something I don’t miss (from my 8th gen). I liked pretty much everything else about the car and it was wonderfully reliable and trouble-free. 200hp was good power from a 4 cylinder 10 years ago. Honda really needs to bump it up a notch or two on the Si.

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I don't understand people steering the OP away from an Si. It gets amazing reviews as a driver's car and is by most considered to be one of the best, some say the best, enthusiast car under $30k.
Nobody's saying the Si is a bad car, but if you're looking at paying $3k-$5k over MSRP for it, that's a bad deal--great car, bad deal.

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Not much to add to the responses you've received.
I used to have a 2018 Hatch with Si springs and I was shocked how much better the new Si is for handling. Doesn't feel related at all.

Comparing it with my supercharged 8th. gen though, I find the new Si on the 20.5PSI stock tune lacking a lot more in acceleration than the 2018 Hatch with a custon 21PSI tune.
At low RPMs the 2018 Hatch was very respectable while the Si feels clearly weaker.
I think this is from the linear, Naturally Aspirated mimicking tuning the Si has.
Also, the great chassis dinamics donesn't help as is allways settled and asking for throttle inputs early after direction changes.

Handling wise I much prefer the 2023 Si to the 8th. gen one even though the old one has HFP suspension, sway bar and polyurethane bushings. New Si is just more refined and it actually feels more like a smaller, lighter car and the steering has more feel
Sponsored