• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

How Much Track Experience Do You Have?

What's your track experience?

• Total voters
OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Y
Do you have a truck/suv that could tow? I’ve used the uhaul car trailer to tow the DE5 a couple times, works well and not too expensive (under $150)

IMG_5047.jpeg
Yep! I've got a 4 Runner V8.
Sponsored

Aero1900

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5
I started out doing autocross in high school. Then did some PCA driving schools with my old man. I did the 3 day Bob Bondurant school in Phoenix, the two day Lotus school at Spring Mountain in NV. Then about 30 days at High Plains Raceway in Colorado. I had zero instruction during those 30 plus days so I probably did more bad habit forming than anything.

I just recently joined the Motor Enclave private track in Tampa

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I started out doing autocross in high school. Then did some PCA driving schools with my old man. I did the 3 day Bob Bondurant school in Phoenix, the two day Lotus school at Spring Mountain in NV. Then about 30 days at High Plains Raceway in Colorado. I had zero instruction during those 30 plus days so I probably did more bad habit forming than anything.

I just recently joined the Motor Enclave private track in Tampa
I need your friends! Love the experience!

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
I haven't played with the log R at all. Just the Garmin Catalyst.

I've watched some Race Render videos and I swear the timer is wrong.
How long has the Catalyst been out? Wondering if the next version will be coming out soon. The current one is now priced at $800. Window shopping.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
How long has the Catalyst been out? Wondering if the next version will be coming out soon. The current one is now priced at $800. Window shopping.
800 is a pretty good deal for a catalyst!

EJHonda

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71
I've been doing track days since 2006, and have been an instructor since 2012 with BMW CCA, mostly northeast tracks (Lime Rock, Watkins Glen, Palmer, NJMP, Calabogie, and even a stint at Road Atlanta). Built my '03 Evo 8 from a daily to a fully caged, barely street legal track car. Sold it in 2022 when parts got difficult to source - I thought I'd be buried in it. Replaced it with a '21 BMW M2 Comp; while it was a nice street car, track consumable parts costs were *insane* and made me depressed. Wanted to go back to my JDM roots, and thus the '23 CTR. Just picked up my CTR in October, so no track days for me until spring of '24. Reading the forums trying to quickly back fill my knowledge on the FL5 platform.
11th Gen Honda Civic How Much Track Experience Do You Have? Honda Civic Type R Full Front PPF_Lvl2 Ceramic Coating-12
11th Gen Honda Civic How Much Track Experience Do You Have? 2021-07-03-TimeTrials-Palmer
11th Gen Honda Civic How Much Track Experience Do You Have? BMWM2-Blue3-Reduced

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I've been doing track days since 2006, and have been an instructor since 2012 with BMW CCA, mostly northeast tracks (Lime Rock, Watkins Glen, Palmer, NJMP, Calabogie, and even a stint at Road Atlanta). Built my '03 Evo 8 from a daily to a fully caged, barely street legal track car. Sold it in 2022 when parts got difficult to source - I thought I'd be buried in it. Replaced it with a '21 BMW M2 Comp; while it was a nice street car, track consumable parts costs were *insane* and made me depressed. Wanted to go back to my JDM roots, and thus the '23 CTR. Just picked up my CTR in October, so no track days for me until spring of '24. Reading the forums trying to quickly back fill my knowledge on the FL5 platform.
Honda Civic Type R Full Front PPF_Lvl2 Ceramic Coating-12.jpg
2021-07-03-TimeTrials-Palmer.jpg
BMWM2-Blue3-Reduced.png
That's some great experience. It's a goal of mine to become an instructor, specifically for FWD platforms. There are far too few available!

EJHonda

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71
That's some great experience. It's a goal of mine to become an instructor, specifically for FWD platforms. There are far too few available!
One of the biggest problems I had early in my HPDE career was getting RWD/NA car-driving instructors sitting right seat in my AWD/Turbo Evo and criticizing me repeatedly for abruptness of throttle. No doubt this was a factor due to my running in a BMW car club series where RWD/NA was ubiquitous. It wasn't until I got a fellow Evo driver sitting with me who never mentioned throttle and instead worked on lines, braking, etc., that I really relaxed and enjoyed my day. I loved it! From then on when an instructor started on my throttle input smoothness, I'd remind them we were dealing with turbo lag and to move on to other topics.

Luckily I have some FWD prior experience, having raced enduros as part of a team of drivers in an '89 Civic Si hatchback in what was known as Chump Car back then.

As far as instructing, when I was a student I came across many other fellow students who wanted to ditch the instructor ASAP and just drive by themselves. I let the instructors' opinions unfold organically and never pushed to move up in groups or to solo. I took a few years to move up the ladder from Novice to Advanced. They finally told me I was going to go to ITS (instructor training school). The result was as an instructor I had a great idea of what to do, and what NOT to do, to make a student's day rewarding and enjoyable. It's served me well.

While I do enjoy helping others improve their driving, instructing has reduced my own track time significantly. My expenses plummeted, as not only was I comped on entry fees for volunteering as an instructor, I wasn't able to run full sessions as I needed to pull in early and meet up with my student(s) and prepare them for hitting their session on time. Gas consumption, brake pads, and tire usage was greatly reduced. Our chapter of BMW CCA runs an open track day (no instruction provided, only solo and advanced drivers allowed), and I really like the relaxed day.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
Honda Civic Type R Full Front PPF_Lvl2 Ceramic Coating-12.jpg
2021-07-03-TimeTrials-Palmer.jpg
BMWM2-Blue3-Reduced.png
You will enjoy the FL5 a lot! I also previously had other platforms similar to yours and so far the FL5 is the one I have enjoyed the most. Previously I had. 2006 sti, 2015 sti and a OG N55 M2. And I don’t miss them one bit.

ThreeD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 CTR, '06 E46 M3, '24 Macan GTS, AP2 S2000, BRZ
AutoX since 06 and HPDE since 2012. Used to heavily auto cross and now pretty much just do DE and drift days. usually run advanced group. My driving has kind of plateaued, I would need data to go faster but haven’t had the interest.

E36 M3 -> S2000. The S2000 is my primary track car, basic build w coilovers and BBK . The FL5 is my daily and may see some occasional track time.

Last edited:

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Never considered myself a track rat and technically counting just true "track days" on a circuit, I'm still in the 3-5 category...

But counting autocross and trackcross, that figure jumps up significantly, where I've averaged ~4 events per year for the past 4-5 years. I'll probably continue at that pace; 4-5 autocrosses and 2-3 track days is about all I can handle during a typical year. Any more than that and I'd get a dedicated track car. Maybe someday.

For now I'm just about using my car in the way it was intended, not so much about chasing a spot on a leaderboard.

Pwalker1130

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R, R-16550
I've been tracking my cars since 2015 with my local PCA group. I became an instructor a few years ago and absolutely love it! I started out with Porsches but those became too expensive, hence my switch to the FL5. I instructed a driver in an FK8 a few years ago and we had a blast. He let me drive his car on track and it was very hard NOT to hammer it :p

Can't wait to track my FL5 in 2024! There's a group of us that like to go to events together. Nothing better than enjoying a track weekend with your buddies. Picture of me in my old car, a 2019 718 Cayman GTS, at Watkins Glen back in 2022.

11th Gen Honda Civic How Much Track Experience Do You Have? IMG_9132

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I've been tracking my cars since 2015 with my local PCA group. I became an instructor a few years ago and absolutely love it! I started out with Porsches but those became too expensive, hence my switch to the FL5. I instructed a driver in an FK8 a few years ago and we had a blast. He let me drive his car on track and it was very hard NOT to hammer it :p

Can't wait to track my FL5 in 2024! There's a group of us that like to go to events together. Nothing better than enjoying a track weekend with your buddies. Picture of me in my old car, a 2019 718 Cayman GTS, at Watkins Glen back in 2022.

IMG_9132.jpg
You'll love the FL5 on track! The difference between the FK8 and FL5 in handling are subtle, but you see the big picture in the difference in the times!

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
You'll love the FL5 on track! The difference between the FK8 and FL5 in handling are subtle, but you see the big picture in the difference in the times!
I’m hoping the boaty feel and sitting high up is gone in the FL5. That was my only gripe about the stock FK8 suspension/driving feel.
Sponsored