• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

How Much Track Experience Do You Have?

What's your track experience?

• Total voters
OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I’m hoping the boaty feel and sitting high up is gone in the FL5. That was my only gripe about the stock FK8 suspension/driving feel.
This car is a lot different in subtle ways. The FK8 = Bazooka, and the FL5 = Laser guided missile.
Sponsored

Tuxedo Mask

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R FL5
I had my very first track day ever this Sunday at Buttonwillow. It was the Beginner Day with SoCal Drivers Club and it was an awesome experience. I was always nervous about driving at the limit/my limit but the org did a great job of slowly teaching and building up the pace. By the end of the day, I was hooked and I'm counting down the days till the next one.

@PointByPatrol your youtube channel helped me a ton with getting the car ready and knowing what to bring.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I had my very first track day ever this Sunday at Buttonwillow. It was the Beginner Day with SoCal Drivers Club and it was an awesome experience. I was always nervous about driving at the limit/my limit but the org did a great job of slowly teaching and building up the pace. By the end of the day, I was hooked and I'm counting down the days till the next one.

@PointByPatrol your youtube channel helped me a ton with getting the car ready and knowing what to bring.
I'm glad you got out there! You'll be amazed what seat time will do for you both on and off the track! What was your favorite part of the whole experience?? I'm glad my channel was helpful. What products did you choose to prep the car?

Tuxedo Mask

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R FL5
I'm glad you got out there! You'll be amazed what seat time will do for you both on and off the track! What was your favorite part of the whole experience?? I'm glad my channel was helpful. What products did you choose to prep the car?
The day was broken up between class room sessions and track sessions. A gradual build up of speed and technique from recon laps, braking, racing line and point by passing, and finally 2 open sessions. The first open session I asked one of the coaches to ride along. That was probably the best in terms of learning cause he coached me through braking, turn in, throttle on corner exit and specific feedback for me. I ended becoming friends with him and a few other advanced drivers he knew who offered to help me grow at more track days together.

I didn't do too much to the car. I used paragon R5 front pads (kept the rear stock since I figured I wouldn't go that fast) and Motul RBF600. The braking feedback and power was strong and consistent the whole day. I'm considering doing the rear pads for the next track day, but that depends on how the rest of the months bills look 😅

menikmati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX STI, BRZ, FL5
Currently none, but am looking to get my feet wet in autocross this year.

I will expect to be the slowest person there, but I'm going to have a ton of fun.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
Currently none, but am looking to get my feet wet in autocross this year.

I will expect to be the slowest person there, but I'm going to have a ton of fun.
You will only get better, so go in with a open mind and you will see the improvement each time.

madsedan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CW Type R
I grew up around Camel GT and Trans Am racers in the 70's and 80's. My dad used to street race an early 80's capri with a 302 and NoS on 400 north of Atlanta early Sunday mornings with friends, I learned how to read the bottle and open the it before we raced. We always had sports cars around the house, my mom drove vette's, Supra's, a Triumph TR8, etc. but my dad was hardcore into German stuff.

Started SCCA stuff when I was 15 in an 83 Celica GT. My first car was a Datsun 510 with no carpet and individual motor cycle carb's with a roll bar, I drove that shit to high school everyday until I blew up the transmission and started tracking/daily an 85 Celica GTS notchback with nice suspension upgrades. I grew up driving in the 2 lane mountain roads of north GA and Birmingham, AL. Had a timex for timing equipment strapped to my steering wheel and used to go drive by myself and time passes on Sunday mornings. Not safe at all but the 80's were a different time lol.

My first full track experience was Road Atlanta in 1991 with one of my dad's buddy '78 930 track car, back then driving schools didn't have radios so you had to watch for hand signals from the instructor in the passenger seat. I didn't really do much else besides college/party/marriage/career until I bought a 92 325is around 98 and started going to BMWCCAQ events at Heartland Park in Topeka. I move back from KC to Birmingham in 2004 and was on the advisory board for Barber Motorsports and spent allot of time running laps and volunteering at the facility, beautiful place.

After 7 years of track rat stuff with BMWCCA and PCA I had an opportunity to work with a pro BMW race team in the Speed touring car series in 2004 when I moved back to Alabama. Traveled all over North America and eventually that team became Rolex Grand Am, Continental Tire and I don't even know what all Bimmerworld is into now but its allot. I still do the occasional PCA HPDE at tracks near my home in Texas like COTA but for me the fun is the smaller tracks like Hallett near Tulsa or Eagles Canyon north of Dallas.

My last few cars were a mix of S550 Mustang GT track packs and modern Porsche cars, just sold my last 991.1 S the month before I bought the Type R. Porsches are perfection as a daily driving GT car in my opinion but I had always wanted a Type R for a daily and took the opportunity for car #45.
Sponsored