• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Interior noises - rattles, creaks, squeaks!

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Hmm that is a little tricky, but I think I can kind of tell what you mean.

Such a dumb panel..
Yeah it really kind of is a dumb panel and it moves around so much they should’ve put insulation in there to begin with. But once you figure it out it’s all good.
Sponsored

Bonito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I'm still getting a rattle from my front right defroster vent that is driving me crazy. I've removed the plastic vent piece, still rattles. Tried felt tape in a couple spots. Still rattles. Stuffed two inch foam into areas in the vent. Still rattles.

If I push down a little on the plastic vent itself, the rattle will lessen or stop altogether but I haven't been able to pinpoint what exactly is making the noise >_<

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I understand the frustration. I have a really bad trunk rattle that I think is going to require me to remove the interior trim on the liftback to get to it. I’m pretty sure (after tons of trial and error) it is a wiring harness that isn’t clipped into place. Any time I hit an abrupt bump in the road, I get a loud metallic rattle sound (likely plastic rattling against metal). It sounds almost exactly like a loose license plate, but it definitely isn’t that. I’ve checked all the obvious things on and in my trunk. :/

Last edited:

Bonito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Some rattle updates:

Dealer looked at the metallic pinging noise from my steering wheel. Opened it up and felt taped a bunch of contact points around the airbag seating. It still does it but it's much quieter. Not really a fix and I'll be curious to see if Honda says anything about it because it seems fairly wide spread in 11th gen Civics.

My passenger dash rattling is still present, even after both me and the dealer felt taping a bunch of things. I'm basically just trial and error felt taping areas where two pieces of plastic are touching/near touching. It does feel like part of my AC grille assembly isn't snuggly connected to the surrounding plastic just left of my Type R badge and I wonder if that's doing it. Basically the grille feels very solid everywhere except the area circled in red here. That spot has a lot of give if I push on it and you can tell the grille and surrounding gunmetal plastic frame aren't attached firmly.

11th Gen Honda Civic Interior noises - rattles, creaks, squeaks! Screenshot 2023-05-21 214131

UJX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type-R #2479
Has there been a fix for the seat belt rattle? That seems to be my biggest problem area. I've tried lowering it all the way down, raising it all the way up, doesn't seem to make a difference.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I’ve seen a YouTube video where a guy took his 11th gen seat belt pillar apart and put some foam in areas. Doesn’t look too difficult. I’m sure it’s the same parts/assembly as the FL5, but I haven’t looked into it. @UJX

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
Has there been a fix for the seat belt rattle? That seems to be my biggest problem area. I've tried lowering it all the way down, raising it all the way up, doesn't seem to make a difference.
I fixed mine by lowering it. Man it was so annoying with that. It was LOUD because it was right by my ear. I had 4 hour long road trip and by the 2nd hour I got so mad and figured out where that sound was coming from 😅

Midori Garage

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EG4, AP2, FL5
Buy this part and go to town. Literally all your dealership will do also.
06993-SA5-000​
Felt Wool​

11th Gen Honda Civic Interior noises - rattles, creaks, squeaks! IMG_0635

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Mine buzzes in every position, but only when driving on certain surfaces. My temporary fix is to simply press down on it (without pushing the button) which seems to help tighten up whatever is making the sound. I may go in there and add foam or felt at some point. I probably need a long road trip with it buzzing the whole time for me to really take action.😂

johnny.silva7

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(FL5) Civic Type R, Viper TA
Ever since my FL5 rolled off the lot, I've had a consistent buzz coming from the dash. The noise consistently started at a higher RPM. I referenced this youtube video: https://youtu.be/3ae8UQK3AWE and tightened the screw mentioned in the video. Didn't do much.

However, I tried another approach and did the following:

1) Tap the dashboard by the infotainment screen and listen for a metal/buzzing sound. If it's present, continue to step 2.
2) Remove the trim cover behind the infotainment screen.
3) Unplug the harnesses attached to the trim cover.
4) Loosen the 2 screws labeled below by 3-4 turns.
11th Gen Honda Civic Interior noises - rattles, creaks, squeaks! fl5dash.JPG

4) Tighten the screws using a socket wrench (no Phillips) 1 half turn at a time. Turn one screw and alternate to the other. After tightening each screw, tap the dashboard and listen for the sound.
5) Repeat step 4 until the sound disappears.

If these instructions have been posted here before, apologies for repeating.

This worked to remove the buzzing noise. I drove the car on various speeds and surfaces for about 200 miles afterwards and it's been quiet since. Noise is completely gone. Curious if it'll work for everybody else on this forum.

charlesca

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R. 2017 Acura NSX.
Ever since my FL5 rolled off the lot, I've had a consistent buzz coming from the dash. The noise consistently started at a higher RPM. I referenced this youtube video: https://youtu.be/3ae8UQK3AWE and tightened the screw mentioned in the video. Didn't do much.

However, I tried another approach and did the following:

1) Tap the dashboard by the infotainment screen and listen for a metal/buzzing sound. If it's present, continue to step 2.
2) Remove the trim cover behind the infotainment screen.
3) Unplug the harnesses attached to the trim cover.
4) Loosen the 2 screws labeled below by 3-4 turns.
fl5dash.JPG

4) Tighten the screws using a socket wrench (no Phillips) 1 half turn at a time. Turn one screw and alternate to the other. After tightening each screw, tap the dashboard and listen for the sound.
5) Repeat step 4 until the sound disappears.

If these instructions have been posted here before, apologies for repeating.

This worked to remove the buzzing noise. I drove the car on various speeds and surfaces for about 200 miles afterwards and it's been quiet since. Noise is completely gone. Curious if it'll work for everybody else on this forum.
I had similar rattles. I added felt tape around the metal pieces that those bolts screwed into. They look like the item circled in green. There were more in the direction of the blue arrow. It sounded like this before:
11th Gen Honda Civic Interior noises - rattles, creaks, squeaks! rattle locations

charlesca

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R. 2017 Acura NSX.
There are these two:

Bonito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Looking for some advice: in the process of taking my AC grille assembly out (more than 10 times at this point!) attempting to diagnose a passenger side rattle, the vinyl around the grille is looking a little wrinkled/dented from the pry tool, even though I was wrapping it in microfiber.

What's the best way to get rid of those wrinkles and dents? Googling around it looks like carefully hitting the spots with a heat gun and massaging them out might work but I wanted a second opinion in case any of you have experience. Thanks!

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Looking for some advice: in the process of taking my AC grille assembly out (more than 10 times at this point!) attempting to diagnose a passenger side rattle, the vinyl around the grille is looking a little wrinkled/dented from the pry tool, even though I was wrapping it in microfiber.

What's the best way to get rid of those wrinkles and dents? Googling around it looks like carefully hitting the spots with a heat gun and massaging them out might work but I wanted a second opinion in case any of you have experience. Thanks!
You might just have to get a new trim piece. I don’t think these things are really meant to be disassembled and reassembled so many times.
Sponsored