• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Is an oil catch can needed? Just hopped on the Unity Group Buy for the HEL Oil Cooler.

matttheazn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Should I also think about getting an oil catch can? I just hopped on the group buy from the HEL oil cooler and was wondering if an catch can would be worth getting? I plan on running track days with 30 minute sessions. Thanks for any info on people that have done a catch can mod on the FL5.
Sponsored

RacingIsLife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 FL5, '23 BRZ, '15 EVO GSR, '15 Forester XT
I typically do a dozen or so track days a year. On my '23 BRZ and '15 EVO X, I have catch cans and they catch a decent amount of oil. For my FL5, I haven't tracked it yet, but I have access to desolate roads and I've been flogging it, and my catch can hasn't caught anything yet. This is after 1,500 miles. I have the Bull Boost catch can, which is built for the FK8 but fits the FL5 just fine. It is exactly like the Mishimoto catch can, and it is only installed on the PCV side.

Its cheap, like $130. Cheap insurance.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
Should I also think about getting an oil catch can? I just hopped on the group buy from the HEL oil cooler and was wondering if an catch can would be worth getting? I plan on running track days with 30 minute sessions. Thanks for any info on people that have done a catch can mod on the FL5.
Always good to have one, it will help slow down the accumulation of oil on the valves.

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
Great question. More stuff to buy. Thanks guys.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Always more stuff to buy, Wazowski. Always.

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I plan on getting the dual catch can setup for mine. Hopefully a bigger turbo and injectors down the road, so this is naturally a step in the right direction.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Waste of money with honda di engines.
No proof of sludge accumulation.
There will always be a bit, especially depending on how much blow by the engine has and how hard you are on the engine.

Edit: @Two Step Performance provided some insight so make your own choice in what you want.

Last edited:

EJHonda

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71
The tough thing with catch cans is that all designs aren't equal. I had 4 different catch cans on my Evo 8, and they ranged from being bone dry to needing emptying on a regular basis. It's all based on how well they are designed and baffled to capture oil vapor. My first can, a Perrin, collected nothing. Zero. Zilch. I ended up replacing it when a component of it failed. Next bought a Saikou Michi based a good reviews, and I was surprised at what it produced. That thing regularly needed emptying. As it was a metal cylinder(s), I couldn't see in, but under stood it had some sort of media in it (think brillo pad), to capture and collect vapor out of the air passing thru it. The Perrin was literally a silicone tube with two aluminum caps - nothing else in it. Air went in and out, and apparently any vapor stayed suspended in the air that flowed thru it. Useless.

With that said, it'd be great to have someone do a comparison test of the model specific catch cans offered for the FK8.and.FL5 platforms.

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
I ran the Radium PCV side can for several thousands miles on my FL5 including a track session and hardly caught any oil, just a drop or two. The car makes approximately 500whp and I do not take it easy. :lol: I have a hard time recommending one after all of that. I took it out of the car when testing a flex fuel kit that mounted in the same spot.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I ran the Radium PCV side can for several thousands miles on my FL5 including a track session and hardly caught any oil, just a drop or two. The car makes approximately 500whp and I do not take it easy. :lol: I have a hard time recommending one after all of that. I took it out of the car when testing a flex fuel kit that mounted in the same spot.
Thank you for the info! Good to know that the k20c1 is not having a lot of blow by.

Most of the cars do make good use of catch cans though. Apparently this is not the case for this platform.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
The tough thing with catch cans is that all designs aren't equal. I had 4 different catch cans on my Evo 8, and they ranged from being bone dry to needing emptying on a regular basis. It's all based on how well they are designed and baffled to capture oil vapor. My first can, a Perrin, collected nothing. Zero. Zilch. I ended up replacing it when a component of it failed. Next bought a Saikou Michi based a good reviews, and I was surprised at what it produced. That thing regularly needed emptying. As it was a metal cylinder(s), I couldn't see in, but under stood it had some sort of media in it (think brillo pad), to capture and collect vapor out of the air passing thru it. The Perrin was literally a silicone tube with two aluminum caps - nothing else in it. Air went in and out, and apparently any vapor stayed suspended in the air that flowed thru it. Useless.

With that said, it'd be great to have someone do a comparison test of the model specific catch cans offered for the FK8.and.FL5 platforms.
Only way to do this is test the products and see what works and doesn’t.

I have had good results with radium products in the past.

Last edited:

EJHonda

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71
Only way to do this is test the products and see what works and doesn’t.

I have had good results with radium products in the past.
Yeah, if someone had the patience, skill set, and resources to do a test, it'd be awesome. The scientific method would be for a series of catch cans be installed on the same test mule and then do a repeatable test cycle on each, recording the results. If you're collecting something in yours, and you don't know of any blow-by/rings issue with your car, I'd say that feedback is worth something.

Last edited:

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Yeah, if someone had the patience, skill set, and resources to do a test, it'd be awesome. The scientific method would be for a series of catch cans be installed on the same test mule and then do a repeatedly test cycle on each, recording the results. If you're collecting something in yours, I'd and you don't know of any blow-by/rings issue with your car, I'd say that feedback is worth something.
Agree but this would take considerable effort. I’m down for testing stuff for the community but just buying random stuff to test without working with a company’s support is tough.

GV27

First Name
Alon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 type r
I have the Mishimoto installed on mine. Measured and emptied it 1000 miles after installing - it collected 4 ml - exactly the same amount as Mishimoto said they saw in their testing after a 1000 miles.
About 5000 miles later I changed the oil and emptied the can again - it collected a further 18 ml, so it’s more or less a consistent 3.5-4 ml per 1000 miles. I drive my car hard, but always wait for it to warm up before pushing it.

Here’s what those 18 ml looked like when I emptied it the second time:
11th Gen Honda Civic Is an oil catch can needed?  Just hopped on the Unity Group Buy for the HEL Oil Cooler. 43477477-6375-4159-A9FB-BAE503F83D8F

That’s not a lot, but it’s not nothing either. The can can only make things better in the long run, so I would still recommend it.

Supposedly the k20c1 has a built in oil-air separator - essentially a catch can that dumps what it catches straight back to the pan. That goes a long way towards explaining why not much is caught by the added can, and why inlet fouling isn’t commonly brought up in connection to that engine, despite it being a highly boosted DI without added port injection.

Regarding the radium cans, I recently saw a clip on YouTube where a car (don’t remember what it was) was smoke tested for leaks after some issues, and the pipe fittings on the radium can had smoke pouring out of them and were traced as the issue. The mechanic said it was a common issue with radium cans. Personally I never tried them.
Sponsored