• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Is anyone doing anything extra for the security system?

CTRifecta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Look into declared value insurance policies. I know hagerty offers them and I have it for my s2000. Basically you agree on a value in case your car is stolen /totaled etc. and pay a premium based on that, instead of "market value" which we all know would translate into something around MSRP which is impossible to get a replacement car at.
Sponsored

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Yep! Hagerty is what I was thinking about earlier regarding Classic / Collectible car insurance.

OP
OP

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
That's a heck of a lot of assumptions you have there, most of them in your favor. Not usually a good recipe for security decisions. These videos are from modern systems, you can look up newer videos of the newest cars if you want. The security system isn't anywhere near as complicated as you're thinking - it's too high of a cost.

GAP covers what your primary insurance isn't going to cover. AKA the part you're worried about your primary insurance not paying the market value and they very well might not. This is especially something you want to consider if you're getting a loan and you're not making a down payment of 20% right off the bat as the second you touch the car you're already underwater. So you might be stuck with the market difference (KBB doesn't take into account premium above MSRP - guarantee you that) plus your deductible plus how much you were underwater.

You have your options and information, just up to you what you want to do with it.

Yes, i know what GAP is, and that was not my question. You make a lot of assumptions about the status of my car payments. I had said 'N/A' -- definitely NOT "underwater" by just driving off the lot, and more importantly, my focus and concern -- as stated -- was the insurance covering the true replacement cost of a car that holds its value even after ownership. That was pointed out by either the Porsche or the BMW service dept, which would be aware of such issues.

What are you doing for insurance?

OP
OP

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
Look into declared value insurance policies. I know hagerty offers them and I have it for my s2000. Basically you agree on a value in case your car is stolen /totaled etc. and pay a premium based on that, instead of "market value" which we all know would translate into something around MSRP which is impossible to get a replacement car at.
I will talk to them. I know that there used to be some special insurance coverage with normal policies for cars that were over 20 years old, but i had never heard of anything for new cars. And, given that discussion i just had with my insurance agent, it sounded like there were no options for new cars. No matter what, this will be informative.

Chemtiger

First Name
Kari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Civic, 2001 Saab 9-3 Viggen
Not sure if the import scene’s still hot for thieves like it was back in the 90s/2000s. But the Ravelco has been undefeated for 46 years!

https://www.ravelco.com/

It’s an analog system so no one can bypass the electronics to start and drive off with your car. However you would still need some sort of video/phone alert system as a 2nd line of protection if it’s external theft that you’re worried about.

Out here in ATL ppl are more into domestics but we don’t want to take any risks with the FL5, just might drive down to Florida to have one installed.
Thank you for this. I couldn’t remember what the name of this company was. I’m in New Orleans, apparently the car thefts are way up here. I got my FL5 Monday. Earlier today, my neighbor told me that there were unfamiliar cars repeatedly driving by my house, and our security cameras aren’t quite good enough to tell what the cars were. I’ve had two Civic Sis stolen (both were Electron Blue Pearl 2000 models) and I really like this car. I don’t really want to lose it before I get the license plate.
Thanks again!

TypeRGirl

First Name
Leslie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5, na 88 RX7
Thank you for this. I couldn’t remember what the name of this company was. I’m in New Orleans, apparently the car thefts are way up here. I got my FL5 Monday. Earlier today, my neighbor told me that there were unfamiliar cars repeatedly driving by my house, and our security cameras aren’t quite good enough to tell what the cars were. I’ve had two Civic Sis stolen (both were Electron Blue Pearl 2000 models) and I really like this car. I don’t really want to lose it before I get the license plate.
Thanks again!
Congrats on your new FL5! I’m sorry that you’re already getting suspicious attention, I understand where you’re coming from with your Si. We had a 99 Milano Red Si stolen 3 times in San Diego. The last time we had a Viper installed and the remote never alerted us, either it was hacked or the installers were the thieves. Unfortunately we didn’t find out about Ravelco till afterwards.

We haven’t installed one on the FL5 yet but I researched it being a huge deterrent for thieves. They won’t be able to start the car at all and I doubt they’d sit there for hours trying to figure it out.

But what’s to say they can’t unbolt parts off the car, a secondary alarm system would be necessary or maybe a secret hood latch could work to keep them out the engine. Or what if they lift it on a tow bed (that happened the 1st time our Si was stolen) You’ll still need a Lo Jack or some sort of tracker. But then there’s RF jammers to drive off ghosted from the cops.

Smh, it’s a rabbit hole of what ifs. But we’re talking about a legit car theft operation here, they’d have to really want the FL5 to go thru all of that hassle. I guess what I’m trying to say is that several layers of theft deterrents is key, starting with the Ravelco and you’re already on the right track. Glad I sparked your memory with my post. I wish you all the best and please post an update if/when you go thru with it!

TimeRacer

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Prelude
Thanks again!
Sorry to rehash this but the factory alarm and OBD system simply is what it is. A budget solution the factory puts in to deter the most basic thiefs but to those who understand these systems, the vulnerabilities are there. It really comes down to how much interference you want to run every time you, the authorized owner and user, want to deal with when you start your car. Since it's really as easy as simple as pulling the fuse for the starter, ignition coil or fuel pump every time you walk away... but that's a hassle. Install a hidden starter switch you need to depress to use the starter, costs less than $10. Or install a 3 button pattern recognition system like this, $60 + labor.

Or better yet being a full aftermarket alarm system then maybe even add on a sim card that you can GPS locate and remote kill from anywhere. It's simply how much money and how much hassle you're willing to deal with every time you get into the car.

As for Ravelco, simply look at the product itself. It's 5 wires that connect into the car or 2 circuits and a ground tamper wire. The 'key' simply completes those circuits and hides the connections by using 16 pins instead of just 5. It's a really simple product that's just exorbitantly expensive as it costs as much as many full aftermarket alarms installed.

As I said earlier, this is entirely about how much effort, inconvenience and money you want to throw at the problem. The best way is simply don't park it on the driveway or on the street to give yet another layer of protection around it. Put an obvious motorcycle lock on the wheels or something and anchor it to something solid (could just drill in a ground anchor into your driveway) that you just leave at home and make real obvious. Same rule that applies to bikes getting stolen applies to cars. The car that's easier to steal is the one that gets stolen. Add some obvious security precautions, cut off your remote's signal to the car when in the house, change the settings of the car so it doesn't unlock the doors on touch. That's like $100. Add on a starter kill device and that's less than $160. All of this is cheap enough, it's really how much you want to invest and mess with the car simply for the added complication every time you or someone you authorize to use it starts it.

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
I've read about a guy getting his FK8 stolen, and that kind of scared me. It was parked at an apartment and it was gone the next day. My car garage kept and hasn't seen any street parking at all just because of my current situation but it might see more in the future.

Here are the things I am getting.

1. Faraday Cage for the key fob

2. Steering wheel lock.

3. Kill switch/Ghost immobilizer, there is a really convenient kill switch for the FK8 that I like. I spoke to the developer and he is waiting on a FL5 to develop a new one. There is a ghost immobilizer which operates similarly, except it relies on a custom start sequence (like doing a pedal dance) for the car to get it to start, and it can be turned off. I've found one company that does ghost immobilizers for the CTRs but there are only in the UK.

4. Not exactly a product but you can pull the fuse for the fuel pump also.

5. GPS Tags. I looked into GPS tags but Im honestly not sure which ones I should get because some broadcast GPS 24/7 and some broadcast only when the vehicle is mobile. Air tags are the most common but I don't have an iphone lol.

For now I just have the Faraday cage and the steering wheel lock.
Sponsored