• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Just Picked Up - Quick Impressions

Bazgab

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
Not sure why people still complain about maintenance costs of new BMWs. They come with comprehensive free maintenance to 3 years/36,000 miles that can affordably be extended to 7 years/100,000 miles. The current crop of M cars are also very reliable.

You'll also get loaners - I had a brand new $135k 2023 760i xDrive as my loaner the last time I dropped one of mine off.

The CTR at $50-55k is fair value. Great driving experience paired with full daily-driver usability. Perfect offering for dads still looking to do the weekend warrior thing and moneyed enthusiasts who want a daily driver with legitimate performance creds to pair with something like a GT3. Above that price, the new M2 is a far better proposition. Weight issue is completely overrated. Stop looking at spec sheets, get off YouTube, and start driving.
Agreed. My M2 has been a trouble free daily driver for 6+ years. I only switched to the CTR as I am exactly what you describe, fun daily driver w/ MT needing dad that does occasional autox and track days.

New M2 is out for me since I wanted a 4-door, also being $75k specced the way I want and being ugly as sin doesn't help. It is an extremely capable/fast car though. I actually like the G80 but that and other performance 4-doors I would be interested in are all in the $75k+ category once optioned.

I only convinced my spouse on the new car if I could pay off the loan by selling my M2, it's mods, and some other random stuff. For my needs this really just left the CTR and ITS for me and the CTR won out.
Sponsored

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 fc3, 2021 fk8
I do think the transmission in the FK8 I drove a year ago felt better than the FL5. The FK8 transmission produced a 'snick, snick' sense. The tranny in the FL5 is 'softer'... not bad, just not as good.
Was the FK8 stock? Keep in mind there are many transmission upgrades available for the 10th gen civic. Our Si with the Acuity shifter feels a lot better than the FL5 I tested. Acuity certainly has something in the works for the FL5 and that will be an equally amazing upgrade.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Was the FK8 stock? Keep in mind there are many transmission upgrades available for the 10th gen civic. Our Si with the Acuity shifter feels a lot better than the FL5 I tested. Acuity certainly has something in the works for the FL5 and that will be an equally amazing upgrade.
Could you describe the difference on the fk8? Has to be even better w upgrades bushings.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Agreed. My M2 has been a trouble free daily driver for 6+ years. I only switched to the CTR as I am exactly what you describe, fun daily driver w/ MT needing dad that does occasional autox and track days.

New M2 is out for me since I wanted a 4-door, also being $75k specced the way I want and being ugly as sin doesn't help. It is an extremely capable/fast car though. I actually like the G80 but that and other performance 4-doors I would be interested in are all in the $75k+ category once optioned.

I only convinced my spouse on the new car if I could pay off the loan by selling my M2, it's mods, and some other random stuff. For my needs this really just left the CTR and ITS for me and the CTR won out.
Good reasoning. If I get another I think Id shoot for a 718 cayman or boxter over a prior gen m2 though.

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 fc3, 2021 fk8
Could you describe the difference on the fk8? Has to be even better w upgrades bushings.
It's a big upgrade to both, but some people don't like it because it requires more force on the gate direction. It feels crispy and extremely precise. If you can find someone with an acuity shifter (even on an Si), I really recommend to try it out. I have it in both the Si and the R. Everytime I invite someone to sit on the R to check out the cockpit, it's always the shifter that brings that astonished smile.

Someone on civicx visited Acuity recently and said they had something for the FL5 about to be launched. It should be new shifter =)

Here are demo videos they released. I know it's not the R, but it highlights how great it feels:

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 #1348 (Sold), FL5 #682
So, I picked up a Civic Type R over the weekend... It had 8 miles on the odo upon pick up. Drove it ~200 miles back home yesterday morning with my teenage son in tow...

Quick First Impressions
It is a great looking car! The Sonic Gray Pearl looks so much better in person than in photos. I thought the red interior would be too much. I actually don't mind it at all. It kind of disappears when you're sitting in it.

So far, I've driven the car around town in the city and taken it on the expressway a couple of times...

I must say, to be completely honest, from a driver's experience perspective, the Type R is completely underwhelming and I DO NOT see the allure of it AT ALL!! Perhaps I need to give it more time, but I am left wondering what is it I'm missing that everyone else is talking about this car being the next best thing since buttered toast.

I tried all modes - Comfort, Sport, +R. They were all "meh". Comfort was probably the best feeling. However, I did not mind the +R mode that everyone complains about. I like to 'feel the road' when I drive. I do think the transmission in the FK8 I drove a year ago felt better than the FL5. The FK8 transmission produced a 'snick, snick' sense. The tranny in the FL5 is 'softer'... not bad, just not as good.

I do think the dealer filled the tank with 87 octane. I filled it up with 91 last night... I'll give it another go today to see if that makes any difference.

I also own a '22 Elantra N w/MT. By comparison, the experience of driving the N completely blows the Type R away, BY FAR. The first thing I missed when driving the Type R was the crackling and popping I get such a kick out of when driving the N. The N is just so visceral and screams "Lets go, Let's go! Come on, Come on" when you push it. The Type R evokes no such vicious or raw attitude.

I have the N ready to be sold. But, at this time, I'm thinking if the Type R does not deliver on my expectations to at least be equally comparable (or better) to the N, I'll have to buy another N soon. I like the changes I've seen on the '24 model...

For the Type R owners out there, am I missing something? I'm being serious here... I love hatchbacks and really want to love this car. But at this time, it's really not doing it for me.

Will provide an update later after more seat time.

84649ddf-af44-4c1f-8863-97ed110bb4aa_1_105_c-jpeg.jpg

I still have the Elantra N w/MT...

9d4f2fda-2241-471d-ac4c-30e4a26c62a0_1_105_c-jpeg.jpg
I think your credibility is already shot with "Golf R" on your signature ... so move on Troll :coffee:

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport 6MT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
So, I picked up a Civic Type R over the weekend... It had 8 miles on the odo upon pick up. Drove it ~200 miles back home yesterday morning with my teenage son in tow...

Quick First Impressions
It is a great looking car! The Sonic Gray Pearl looks so much better in person than in photos. I thought the red interior would be too much. I actually don't mind it at all. It kind of disappears when you're sitting in it.

So far, I've driven the car around town in the city and taken it on the expressway a couple of times...

I must say, to be completely honest, from a driver's experience perspective, the Type R is completely underwhelming and I DO NOT see the allure of it AT ALL!! Perhaps I need to give it more time, but I am left wondering what is it I'm missing that everyone else is talking about this car being the next best thing since buttered toast.

I tried all modes - Comfort, Sport, +R. They were all "meh". Comfort was probably the best feeling. However, I did not mind the +R mode that everyone complains about. I like to 'feel the road' when I drive. I do think the transmission in the FK8 I drove a year ago felt better than the FL5. The FK8 transmission produced a 'snick, snick' sense. The tranny in the FL5 is 'softer'... not bad, just not as good.

I do think the dealer filled the tank with 87 octane. I filled it up with 91 last night... I'll give it another go today to see if that makes any difference.

I also own a '22 Elantra N w/MT. By comparison, the experience of driving the N completely blows the Type R away, BY FAR. The first thing I missed when driving the Type R was the crackling and popping I get such a kick out of when driving the N. The N is just so visceral and screams "Lets go, Let's go! Come on, Come on" when you push it. The Type R evokes no such vicious or raw attitude.

I have the N ready to be sold. But, at this time, I'm thinking if the Type R does not deliver on my expectations to at least be equally comparable (or better) to the N, I'll have to buy another N soon. I like the changes I've seen on the '24 model...

For the Type R owners out there, am I missing something? I'm being serious here... I love hatchbacks and really want to love this car. But at this time, it's really not doing it for me.

Will provide an update later after more seat time.

84649ddf-af44-4c1f-8863-97ed110bb4aa_1_105_c-jpeg.jpg

I still have the Elantra N w/MT...

9d4f2fda-2241-471d-ac4c-30e4a26c62a0_1_105_c-jpeg.jpg
I feel ya man. I've been saying it for years, the EN is my next car. Only problem is I still love my FK7, and I don't believe the N is $20k better than my 6MT Hatch Sport. (MSRP+TTL minus my trade in value) So I wait, but I do love my FK7. The Borla exhaust w/ catted downpipe sounds very similar to the EN, if not better. Plus I've got a bunch of FK8 bits on her. Good stuff. Cheers!

PS- I predict if you sell the N you will suffer sellers remorse.

First Name
E - Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Type R - BB / 2016 Yamaha BOLT bike
Opening POSTER - an imposter ? , "poops" name AND Vehicles Golf R - strike 2
anyways
MINE is ONLY Type R that is NOT FULLY BLACK on Rear Spoiler (Red Top Wrap on mine)
FK8 has sportier look for me -
PLUS the front dash INFO/RADIO Screen is slanted with dash - yeah
I LOATHE (dis-like immensely) the Popular POP UP TOASTER Screens on most dashes today
151 mph this morning (personal fastest) - just a rare acceleration moment
almost 6k rpm when driving up ON RAMP onto Interstate I-76 (make sure no cars are close by)
Autumn CAR SHOW Fort Morgan CO entry for me - 12-12-2022 i am 2nd owner
added RED Trim, Niche Torsion Blue Wheels 20x9 , Decals , tinted windows 1 speaker box in back with 2 Amps and Equilizer On/Off in Glove box (I always leave it on, and it works thru stereo controls -
Just has a DEEPER SOUND

11th Gen Honda Civic Just Picked Up - Quick Impressions 2021 Type R - Front - Side Driver BLUE - RED 7-2-2023

11th Gen Honda Civic Just Picked Up - Quick Impressions 2021 Type R - Rear - Driver BLUE n Red in Streets 7-2-2023

Kevv_Her

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Pilot SE, 2018 Type R, 2013 Civic Ex
Opening POSTER - an imposter ? , "poops" name AND Vehicles Golf R - strike 2
anyways
MINE is ONLY Type R that is NOT FULLY BLACK on Rear Spoiler (Red Top Wrap on mine)
FK8 has sportier look for me -
PLUS the front dash INFO/RADIO Screen is slanted with dash - yeah
I LOATHE (dis-like immensely) the Popular POP UP TOASTER Screens on most dashes today
151 mph this morning (personal fastest) - just a rare acceleration moment
almost 6k rpm when driving up ON RAMP onto Interstate I-76 (make sure no cars are close by)
Autumn CAR SHOW Fort Morgan CO entry for me - 12-12-2022 i am 2nd owner
added RED Trim, Niche Torsion Blue Wheels 20x9 , Decals , tinted windows 1 speaker box in back with 2 Amps and Equilizer On/Off in Glove box (I always leave it on, and it works thru stereo controls -
Just has a DEEPER SOUND

2021 Type R - Front - Side Driver BLUE - RED 7-2-2023.jpg

2021 Type R - Rear - Driver BLUE n Red in Streets 7-2-2023.jpg
wtf did I just read? 🤨

Last edited: