• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Just Picked Up - Quick Impressions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack
How does your GR Yaris measure up in this respect? In general I tend to agree with you. The only one of these cars I haven't driven is the GR Corolla (I live in the US) and I'm so curious how that car feels to drive.
It's all relative, I suppose. The GR Yaris feels more old-school compared to my M2C. More like an e36 M3. It's louder, not as fancy, and kinda wild, but that's what makes it fun. When you're going 70 mph, it feels like 70 mph, just the way I like it. It's not exactly like an e30 or S2K, but it's pretty close to that raw, throwback motorsport vibe that we all love.

But let me tell you, the grip on this thing is sensational. In track mode with a quick tap on the dsc button, there's zero understeer, thanks to my secret setup (slight toe out up front). It handles bumps mid-corner like a boss, giving you that rally car feel even on challenging roads. The ride's firm, but not ridiculously harsh. And the best part? It's just so simple and mechanical, like the good ol' sports cars.

Haven't tried the GR Corolla yet, but from what I’ve gathered, it's not quite the same as the GR Yaris. Maybe 'cause of the size and weight difference.
Sponsored

superporpoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5, 2023 RS3
how long did you have to wait for your 2023 RS3?
how long have you had it?
how do you like it?
did you pay over MSRP?
have you had the opportunity to comparison to a 2023 Type R?
My RS3 story is really lucky — I happened to check in with my local dealership the same morning someone backed out of their incoming allocation. I picked up the car a month later at MSRP.

I've only owned it for 3 weeks and 1,200 miles (including one road trip but no track time), so I don't feel like I can give too many detailed thoughts. Previous cars I've owned for reference are a MT Elantra N, DCT Elantra N, Fiesta ST, and Mazdaspeed3. I've driven an FK8 and ITS but not the FL5.

The car is in on a different level compared to all of those cars, and it should be for the price. It's faster and more capable than those cars, while also being more comfortable and luxurious.

Cons to the RS3 so far: no manual (I knew that going in obviously), steering feel is not as good as the Elantra N or ITS/FK8, the steering wheel is bigger than I'd like, and the stock tires are not great.

Everything else rules. The engine is nuts. The rear differential, power, engine sound, and suspension tuning makes the car so fun to hustle down a back road. The rear torque splitter makes the car very engaging to drive, and that plus the engine sound has me laughing every time. The limits are high. The car feels composed but playful. It's also amazing on a road trip — it's comfortable and luxurious in a way the other cars are not.

The pros to an FL5/ITS/EN are steering feel and a manual gearbox — and for the two Honda cars, a hatchback. I think the FL5 and ITS make sense at MSRP (barely, in the case of the ITS), but not with any markup. To me the Elantra N is the most impressive out of all of them for the money — in a number of ways, it feels nicer than the ITS (seats, steering wheel, no rattles after 7K miles while the ITS was rattling away at ~30 miles) but also more playful — and it costs $20K less! I wish they made it in a hatch, but I'm glad they're at least making it look not as terrible for the 2024 model year.

At the end of the day, they are all special cars — you just have to decide what's important to you. I'm still figuring that out for myself but I feel really lucky to get to drive the RS3.

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
Honestly I dont blame you at all for saying the CTR is "boring" compared to your Elantra. That upsets alot of people here but honestly its not really a ding against the CTR, its really a testament to how well the Elantra N is and what Hyundai has done with the N branding.

The engine in the Elantra N is objectively the only turbocharged 4 cyclinder engine with the most character. The A45 AMG imo is the best but its not for sale here in the US.

The anemic sound of the K20C1 is a far cry from the howling K20s back in the day, and with how the Integra Type S sounds, it just shows that Honda left alot on the table with the CTR. Although the engine tuning maybe better than the GRC, Elantra N or the STi, those engines still have more character. The Elantra N is like 85% of the CTR for way less money. Its an incredibly good deal if can look past the reliability and the looks. Also the fact that you can realistically buy one and not have to deal with bs dealership ADMs is huge.

Personally as someone who is coming from a GT350 the muted exhuast doesn't bother me one bit. Its nice to drive the car and not have to worry about getting stopped by a cop or just looking like a tool because its so loud 😅 But I can see why its not for everyone.

Last edited:

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Given the OP's screen name, I suspect fake troll that just wants to watch people argue on the forum. Many people are having to pay ADM to get an FL5, and not having traded that EN for it, the tax amount (without a huge trade savings) would have been annoying.

But more than that, if you decided you did not like it, you could easily have figured it out on the test drive and saved a lot of heartache.

I had a VN PP for a brief time, about 4 months. I also had an FK8. I can actually understand the allure of the N cars for what they cost, especially what you can get a used one for. You can get a lightly used VN in the mid-upper mid 20s. That's a lot of freaking car for that money! The FK8, however, is still worth substantially more than their MSRP was new, even with more than 50k on them. That's insane to me.

Even if the OP is a fake troll, the Hyundai N cars are a good value. They are proven a little slower on track from multiple sources, but not nearly slow enough to argue their value isn't great.

Drive what you like!

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Given the OP's screen name, I suspect fake troll that just wants to watch people argue on the forum. Many people are having to pay ADM to get an FL5, and not having traded that EN for it, the tax amount (without a huge trade savings) would have been annoying.

But more than that, if you decided you did not like it, you could easily have figured it out on the test drive and saved a lot of heartache.

I had a VN PP for a brief time, about 4 months. I also had an FK8. I can actually understand the allure of the N cars for what they cost, especially what you can get a used one for. You can get a lightly used VN in the mid-upper mid 20s. That's a lot of freaking car for that money! The FK8, however, is still worth substantially more than their MSRP was new, even with more than 50k on them. That's insane to me.

Even if the OP is a fake troll, the Hyundai N cars are a good value. They are proven a little slower on track from multiple sources, but not nearly slow enough to argue their value isn't great.

Drive what you like!
11th Gen Honda Civic Just Picked Up - Quick Impressions 1690848527655

rob495

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2012 Ariel Atom
So, I picked up a Civic Type R over the weekend... It had 8 miles on the odo upon pick up. Drove it ~200 miles back home yesterday morning with my teenage son in tow...

Quick First Impressions
It is a great looking car! The Sonic Gray Pearl looks so much better in person than in photos. I thought the red interior would be too much. I actually don't mind it at all. It kind of disappears when you're sitting in it.

So far, I've driven the car around town in the city and taken it on the expressway a couple of times...

I must say, to be completely honest, from a driver's experience perspective, the Type R is completely underwhelming and I DO NOT see the allure of it AT ALL!! Perhaps I need to give it more time, but I am left wondering what is it I'm missing that everyone else is talking about this car being the next best thing since buttered toast.

I tried all modes - Comfort, Sport, +R. They were all "meh". Comfort was probably the best feeling. However, I did not mind the +R mode that everyone complains about. I like to 'feel the road' when I drive. I do think the transmission in the FK8 I drove a year ago felt better than the FL5. The FK8 transmission produced a 'snick, snick' sense. The tranny in the FL5 is 'softer'... not bad, just not as good.

I do think the dealer filled the tank with 87 octane. I filled it up with 91 last night... I'll give it another go today to see if that makes any difference.

I also own a '22 Elantra N w/MT. By comparison, the experience of driving the N completely blows the Type R away, BY FAR. The first thing I missed when driving the Type R was the crackling and popping I get such a kick out of when driving the N. The N is just so visceral and screams "Lets go, Let's go! Come on, Come on" when you push it. The Type R evokes no such vicious or raw attitude.

I have the N ready to be sold. But, at this time, I'm thinking if the Type R does not deliver on my expectations to at least be equally comparable (or better) to the N, I'll have to buy another N soon. I like the changes I've seen on the '24 model...

For the Type R owners out there, am I missing something? I'm being serious here... I love hatchbacks and really want to love this car. But at this time, it's really not doing it for me.

Will provide an update later after more seat time.

84649ddf-af44-4c1f-8863-97ed110bb4aa_1_105_c-jpeg.jpg

I still have the Elantra N w/MT...

9d4f2fda-2241-471d-ac4c-30e4a26c62a0_1_105_c-jpeg.jpg
I think it's all about perspective. I love the absolutely vicious handling of the FL5 at low and high speeds, the strong brakes, the great visibility, the incredible shifter feel, the lightness of the clutch, the supportive seats, the usability of the hatch, the rear seat leg room, and the looks. Its a perfect daily driver/weekend track toy. I don't mind the lack of an exhaust note, the mediocre straight line speed, and harsh suspension. I suggest a track day or hitting a coulple of twisties in your area.

rob495

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2012 Ariel Atom
Picked up my CTR on Friday with 10 miles on it. Owned a '22 Veloster N for about a year and just traded it for a '23 Kona N last month. I've only put 40 miles on the CTR since Friday and have kept it under 4-5k RPM while on the other hand I've driven the hell out of both the VN and KN. The N cars are fun, overachievers, better than they probably have any business being but I can already tell they're no CTR.

1690824228836.png

1690822351054.png
Why did you sell your Veloster N for the Kona? Any thoughts regarding the differences in the cars?

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
I think you need to drive them back to back and then post your impressions. Many of us never considered an Elantra N as an option due to its appearance and relatability concerns. It’s a really ugly car but no doubt a great value.

If you were happy with it why did you get a Type R?

Last edited:

AlpineBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
Why did you sell your Veloster N for the Kona? Any thoughts regarding the differences in the cars?
Real quick... I flew to MS last summer to get one of the last brand new 6MT Performance Blue VN's that came over here and drove it home. I've always crapped on Hyundai/Kia since I started caring about cars as a kid but figured at $32,500 it couldn't hurt to give something different a try. I own a BMW and have previously owned a VW, Ford, Subie, 2 Acuras and 3 Nissans. I really don't consider myself a fan of any one brand as there's highs and lows to owning any of them.

I liked the CTR but it was never a serious consideration until around a month ago when I finally landed on it being my next car after over a year of going back and forth between getting a Z, GRC, M2, Supra or ITS. It didn't make sense (to me anyway) to keep the VN and still get the CTR so within that same week I traded it and my girlfriend's Passat for the Kona N. My logic was that we both get brand new cars to drive and the KN adds a little more utility than what the VN, CTR, Passat or my 335i can offer.

Here's some pros and cons that come to mind for '22 VN vs '23 KN. Some may seem counterintuitive and a lot of this is of course subjective...

VN pros - 6MT available, race style seats, lower, lighter, more fun to drive hard, more nimble, easy to toss around, exhaust pops and bangs are more prominent inside cabin, better MPG, classic gauge cluster, more physical buttons
VN cons - less doors, less seats, overall interior materials feel cheaper, more rattles, louder cabin, no heated seats for US models, manual seats

KN pros - 5 seats, 5 doors, quieter cabin, more comfortable seats, slightly higher quality interior materials, more extensive infotainment, more utility, heated seats, automatic seats, cool digital gauges and transitions
KN cons - DCT only, taller, heavier, not as fun to drive hard, less nimble, exhaust is too muffled from inside the car to really enjoy it, worse MPG, actual gauge cluster screen feels like an afterthought, certain features buried in UX instead of physical buttons

Tie - styling (funky looking but I like them both), roughly the same length, offer around the same cargo space, too rough on normal roads with suspension in Sport+, N mode/N custom with same settings offer a similar experience, not a fan of P Zero's

Overall I enjoy driving the Veloster over the Kona as the VN is more my style. It's what I'm used to and most of my cars have been small, manual, 4 seat or 2 seat sports cars. The lack of 6MT in the KN plays a big part as I've driven a manual more days than not for the last 25 years. When I'm not manually shifting the DCT I find that at times it has trouble deciding exactly what it's supposed to be doing.

Last edited:

CloudEng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' FL5 Civic Type R
Real quick... I flew to MS last summer to get one of the last brand new 6MT Performance Blue VN's that came over here and drove it home. I've always crapped on Hyundai/Kia since I started caring about cars as a kid but figured at $32,500 it couldn't hurt to give something different a try. I own a BMW and have previously owned a VW, Ford, Subie, 2 Acuras and 3 Nissans. I really don't consider myself a fan of any one brand as there's highs and lows to owning any of them.

I liked the CTR but it was never a serious consideration until around a month ago when I finally landed on it being my next car after over a year of going back and forth between getting a Z, GRC, M2, Supra or ITS. It didn't make sense (to me anyway) to keep the VN and still get the CTR so within that same week I traded it and my girlfriend's Passat for the Kona N. My logic was that we both get brand new cars to drive and the KN adds a little more utility than what the VN, CTR, Passat or my 335i can offer.

Here's some pros and cons that come to mind for '22 VN vs '23 KN. Some may seem counterintuitive and a lot of this is of course subjective...

VN pros - 6MT available, race style seats, lower, lighter, more fun to drive hard, more nimble, easy to toss around, exhaust pops and bangs are more prominent inside cabin, better MPG, classic gauge cluster, more physical buttons
VN cons - less doors, less seats, overall interior materials feel cheaper, more rattles, louder cabin, no heated seats for US models, manual seats

KN pros - 5 seats, 5 doors, quieter cabin, more comfortable seats, slightly higher quality interior materials, more extensive infotainment, more utility, heated seats, automatic seats, cool digital gauges and transitions
KN cons - DCT only, taller, heavier, not as fun to drive hard, less nimble, exhaust is too muffled from inside the car to really enjoy it, worse MPG, actual gauge cluster screen feels like an afterthought, certain features buried in UX instead of physical buttons

Tie - styling (funky looking but I like them both), roughly the same length, offer around the same cargo space, too rough on normal roads with suspension in Sport+, N mode/N custom with same settings offer a similar experience, not a fan of P Zero's

Overall I enjoy driving the Veloster over the Kona as the VN is more my style. It's what I'm used to and most of my cars have been small, manual, 4 seat or 2 seat sports cars. The lack of 6MT in the KN plays a big part as I've driven a manual more days than not for the last 25 years. When I'm not manually shifting the DCT I find that at times it has trouble deciding exactly what it's supposed to be doing.
Really great response here!

I previously owned an EN, really great car but I struggled to get along with the poor interior quality. The pops and bangs also get a bit old after awhile.

I sold it back in April hoping to upgrade to a dedicated sports car platform and juggled between an M2 and Supra. I ultimately wrote off the M2 due to its weight, looks, and high maintenance costs. When my partner and I went to test drive a Supra, she absolutely hated the claustrophobic interior (I admit, it is pretty bad).

I thought I would be the only one cross-shopping these vehicles, but I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that did and ended up with a CTR!

CaryH

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 touring 2.0T, 2005 Toyota 4runner SR5, 2012 c
Bud ,to make this comment, that's its underwhelming you must not really drive the car then....and to say that your elentra is a better drive....is just a straight out lie.....I own a fl5 amd u drive a elentra N and not even a comparison....You must be on the hook with Hyundai the are cheap built imitations...of real performance vehicles....and their price point proves it. IF you have stock in Hyundai or something it's ok....

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Given the OP's screen name, I suspect fake troll that just wants to watch people argue on the forum.
This was my first thought but I already get shit posting here because I don't have a CTR. You said what many of us were thinking.

Not surprised by this response. Was expecting this...

Let me be clear, this is NOT a trolling post or an attempt to gain attention or get into a tit for tat exchange. I'm really trying to figure out - "What am I missing?".
These statements illustrate cognitive dissonance.

And pay attention to what I said. I stand by it. If you can stand the thought of driving a Hyundai, and can look at it and feel a connection to it, then it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to jump into the CTR market with a more expensive, high-demand car. Take the "good enough" car and be happy with it.

I personally could do neither of those things, else I'd be driving an Elantra N. It's a good car! I just personally am not excited by it. Did you need me to say it was a good car, or are you actually trolling?

It is possible to troll without being fully aware that you're trolling. You're actually doing it, right now.

how long did you have to wait for your 2023 RS3?
how long have you had it?
how do you like it?
did you pay over MSRP?
have you had the opportunity to comparison to a 2023 Type R?
Similar story. If you can tolerate not having a manual, and it's within your budget, it's tough to find fault with an RS3.

menikmati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX STI, BRZ, FL5
I sold it back in April hoping to upgrade to a dedicated sports car platform and juggled between an M2 and Supra. I ultimately wrote off the M2 due to its weight, looks, and high maintenance costs. When my partner and I went to test drive a Supra, she absolutely hated the claustrophobic interior (I admit, it is pretty bad).

I thought I would be the only one cross-shopping these vehicles, but I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that did and ended up with a CTR!
I've looked at both the M2 and Supra and came to the same conclusion with regards to the Supra. I did not like the lack of visibility from inside the cramped cabin and finding one is damn near impossible at the moment. I will give it credit for the B58 and the addition of a 6-speed manual.

I am in the minority and think the G87 M2 looks fine. Doing an A:B comparison of the F87 and G87, I will side with the majority and say the F87 generation wins in the exterior department. Aside from that, the G87 is more refined and has the S58 coupled with the ZF8 or 6-speed. Yes, it is heavy, but all the reviews I've read state that it somehow manages to feel light on its feet.
Sponsored